Hunters of The Warp
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Astronomi-con Winnipeg

+3
Matthew G
Roland
gluvzer
7 posters

Go down

Astronomi-con Winnipeg Empty Astronomi-con Winnipeg

Post  gluvzer Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:29 pm

http://www.astronomi-con.com/

April 30 - May 1 2011.

Thinking about it. Possible Road Trip?
gluvzer
gluvzer
Lord of Titan/Hero of ToonCon/Ayatollah of Rock n' Rolla

Back to top Go down

Astronomi-con Winnipeg Empty Re: Astronomi-con Winnipeg

Post  gluvzer Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:49 pm

ughh. Maybe not? I just read the rules more thouroughly. Not really a fan. Could be fun just to go though.
gluvzer
gluvzer

Back to top Go down

Post  Roland Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:52 pm

I just asked my wife if I could go. She said I could go if I never want to have sex again. I suppose I could take both kids, but I really don't want to take a one month old...
Roland
Roland
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:36 pm

Seems interesting, a lot of rules though...

I may be interested, but not sure at this point

Back to top Go down

Post  Matthew G Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:21 pm

Yeah. I saw imperial armor and flyers rules as well as VDR and I get this sour taste in my mouth. Now I don't know how these rules work exactly but I don't know how, in a tournament setting that these rules would not be broken.
Matthew G
Matthew G
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Spamus Eatus Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:02 am

Well it's simple, you know well in advance to possibly expect IA. So you can prepare, or bring some yourself. Frankly, I don't understand why people are so down on FW around here. They're not allowing superheavies or gargantuan beasts. If you want VDR, it has to be cleared with the organizers, and it must fit the theme of your army. For the most part, if anything you'd see a few tank and dreadnought variants. You know, like the IA russ variants that the IG now have regular access to? I happen to own almost every hardcover IA book, and frankly, VERY FEW of the units in there are overpowered. For the most part, they're just right. Brings another level to the game. I really don't think putting a flamestorm cannon on my dreadnought is going to give me an "I win" button. Really the only regular units I consider a bit much are the drop-pod variants. As for the apoc units and formations, anything goes when it comes to that. I've been to two Astro's, one in 3rd and in 4th ed. and they're FANTASTIC events. The regulars that show up are great gamers and painters all around, good times had by all. Guys fly in from Texas to go to this thing. Everyone brings fully painted armies and it's quite the sight to see. If you're concerned about painting score, it's really quite easy to earn 15 pts there. A bare minimum will get you that. It's the extra love and care you give your figs that will earn you 20+ points. You'll notice there is much less importance placed on how much ass you kick, and greater importance on the hobby aspect. I believe this is a very important factor in a tournament setting. It's not about who has the scariest flavor of the month army, but a celebration of the game and hobby as a whole. For those of you who have been to any of my tournies back in PA, Astro is where I got my inspiration from to serve food, have novelty awards, thematic tables, quizzes, etc. I also directly rip their painting scoresheet and use that.
Spamus Eatus
Spamus Eatus
Inquisitor Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Roland Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:20 am

Who wrote the rules? A paranoid lawyer?
Roland
Roland
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Spamus Eatus Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:36 am

Two guys who love the hobby and spend months organizing each event. When you have 40 people playing at once, you need a rock-solid system or everything gets screwed up.
Spamus Eatus
Spamus Eatus
Inquisitor Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  System Commander Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:42 am

Is Christian Augst still running the Astronomi-con events?

I did enjoy the one we did go to a few years back... I did feel bad for the Deathwing I army I played against.. when every model in your Worldeater army could have a chain axe. I also kept thinking Scotts heart was going to explode after drinking 8 red bulls on the drive there.
System Commander
System Commander
System Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Spamus Eatus Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:01 am

Looks Like Christian and Mike are still running the show, along with a third guy.

Ooooh, ouch. A terminator army vs the old-skool heavy CCWs. That's a grim scene there. Is this also when berzerkers had FNP? or am I getting editions mixed up?
Spamus Eatus
Spamus Eatus
Inquisitor Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Paz Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:35 am

Ben (spamus), I'm right there with you. this sounds like my kind of tournament. I'm going to calgary for tiesto in mid april, but I would absolutely love to go to this, I am gunna try my hardest to get out there. I miss tournaments, and I miss seeing other amazing hobby stuff!
Paz
Paz
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  smackman Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:13 am

Other then that one model (*cough* lucious drop pods *cough*) I would happily play against any forgeworld stuff, most of it is overcosted garbage so good luck, but I'd give you full comp and sportsmanship because those models look awesome.

VDR is hillarious, it's excessively expensive so again good luck, I'd give a poor comp score for using these however because I find it retarded.

This event does sound fun. I would go to this tournament because I'd like to see other peoples stuff and see how well their tournament is run and generally check it out.

To change the subject,

Is there going to be an out of town tournament that uses only the main rulebook rules and some competitive scenarios and non goofy =I=censor=I= with only fully painted armies coming up in the future? Cuz I'd fake a funeral to go to that, this tournament looks interesting but if the flames are in the play offs or there's a house party or honestly anything else going on I'd really have to weigh the options... Also Manitoba sucks.
smackman
smackman
Inquisitor Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  gluvzer Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:12 am

I would consider going for fun if others wanted to make the trip and I'm sure it is probably a great event.

But seriously, these rules are over-the-top. 60pts for sportsmanship?! I know sportsmanship is important, but c'mon it pretty much ='s battle points! Do I have to suck your ____ to get full sports? IA and VDR? What's the point? Flyers? Ohhhh Funnn! Composition that docs marks for taking more troops? Whaaaa?

And like Tom already mentioned - Manitoba Sucks.

I'm liking Tom's outlook on whether or not to attend. If nothing else though, getting a good group together for a road trip is always fun.
gluvzer
gluvzer

Back to top Go down

Post  Roland Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:59 pm

Spamus: I probably came across way more glib than I was. I can definately appreciate the time and effort the guys put into it, amd I understand the need for "rock-solid" rules in a tourney of this size.

However, from reading the rules, I can't help but feel they are wasting energy on some issues. Several of the other posters have hit on many of them.

I like many of the things they are doing (army size, unique tables, etc), I just think there are holes in the scoring rules you could drive a truck thru. I'd rather they worked on those, than spending time deciding to allow flyers and 13th Company.

As it is I don't have the time or money to go, so my opinion shouldn't count anyways.
Roland
Roland
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down