Hunters of The Warp
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Guys armys

5 posters

Go down

New Guys armys Empty New Guys armys

Post  Guest Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:18 pm

Hello i'm new i've only really played 2 games and i have only met a few of you guys but i wanted to post my armies and get some feedback if you dont mind Smile

Space Marines (Iron Hands)
Tac squad 1 170 Missle +Flamer
Tac Squad 2 170 Missle
Terminator 200 standard
Dreadnot 105 standard

i am currently working on painting and building these

dev squad 190 i'm currently building for this i've chosen 2 heavy bolters and 2 las cannons. however i'm thinking that mite be a mistake because it would be a mix of anti inf and anti armor when 2 squads of las cannons and hevey bolters mite work better(835)
chapmaster 140 (785) his the guy out of assalt of black reach
Captian 1 118 (763) powersword and bolt pistol
Libarian 125 (770) i have a libarian in terminator armor with a force weapon and nothing els

in addition to this i also just bought a legion of the damed squad it contains - sarge with power axe and plasma pistol (i have replaced it with the storm bolter off of my libarian) and a flamer and then 3 bolters. I was thinking using one of my heavy bolters from my dev squad as i am currently building and painting that squad. the only problem is that if i do i'm not sure what i will do with my dev squad.

so any help or advice would be great thanks

i also have ordered a squad of iron hand space marines.

Imp guard
Guardsmen squad 1 60 vox + flamer
Guardsmen squad 2 60 vox + flamer
guardsmen squad 3 60 vox + flamer
Guardsmen squad 4 60 vox + flamer
Guardsmen squad 5 55 vox
Guardsmen Black 1 60 vet 80 vox + flamer
Vet Squad 115 3 melta guns, vox, heavy bolter

Command squad 1 55 1 commander 4 guardsmen
Command squad black 115 medipack, standard, plasmagun

heave wep squad 1 3 LAS 105
Heavy Wep Squad 2 3 missle launchers 90

Chimera 55 standard

hellhound 135 standard

Lerman 195 1 las cannon 2 hevey bolters 1 hevey stubber
leemanruss demo 220 1 las cannon 2 plasma cannons

now the Imp guard i bought online and i'm not sure how to use it or what to add but i thought it would be a good start so any adive would be very welcome

right now i'm focusing on my space marine army because they seem easyer to play and build and once i understand the game better i was planing on going back and filling out my imp guard

Last edited by Stormaker on Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:02 pm; edited 2 times in total

Back to top Go down

New Guys armys Empty Re: New Guys armys

Post  gluvzer Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:55 pm

How many points are you wanting to work up to?
gluvzer
gluvzer
Lord of Titan/Hero of ToonCon/Ayatollah of Rock n' Rolla

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:57 pm

i wanted a min of 1500 it seems to be a good size altho i'm not sure how much people normaly play with

Back to top Go down

Post  Terran Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:30 pm

I find this league usually sits between 1750-2000. Just as food for thought.
Terran
Terran
Assassin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:57 am

well right now my main problem is choosing the weapons for this dev squad.

what i dont know is if plasma weapons are any good? i know they can do good dmg but the chance that they will kill the user makes me not like them.

I also want to know how good are heavy bolters in general

the idea i had was a large core of inf (20 to 30) with support from anti inf and anti armor dev squads. and to have some wild cards like the legion of the damed squad and mabey some assalt squads or bikes.

so to that end i was thinking of 2 or 3 tac squads with 1 heavy bolter dev squad and 1 las cannon squad dev squad. but im prity sure that plasma squads would be good for anti everything. altho i really dont know one way or another so any help would rock thanks

Back to top Go down

Post  gluvzer Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:14 pm

If you're sold on using Dev squads I'd recommend missile launchers. Lascannons are way over costed (35 v. 15). Missiles can offer anti light infantry as well. The 4 HB's sounds neat. But if you end up playing an opponent who's all mech (Mech guard for example min front armour 12) they are useless.
gluvzer
gluvzer

Back to top Go down

New Guys armys Empty Re new guy

Post  Commander James of the Ul Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:07 pm

Well Storm maker you have a good start on your SM army. But there are several things that I have learnt the hard way. One they are called LAND RAIDERS, it doesn't matter which variant you use it WILL kick ass. But you have to upgrade with a multi melta, only ten points well worth it. 2 of then usually kill. Second thunderfire cannons are only 100 points and they have several versatile ammunition's and the tech marine has several special rules. Let go of the plasma guns. They usually kill your points... melta guns are only usually 5 points stronger and ap1. They don't have the range but as a SM player your nemesis is usually in your face. Melta guns will level your opponent.
The Dammed I think are to expensive Sternguard are cheaper and you can field more melta's. Good luck man see ya on the field

Commander James of the Ul
Inquisitor

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:03 pm

cool well first off i want to say thanks for all the input so far its been really great

also i wanted to know if drop pod assaults worked well in games? I kinda like the idea of fielding a large inf force via drop pods.

As far as land raiders go i've allways ignored them because i just assumed that as a big expencive target they would allways get focused fired and be blown to bits before i could use it. but not that i look at it i think i may have been mistaken thanks.

the reason i got the damed squad was because they have relentless via slow and purposful and since they allways deep stirke i can deploy them behind lines and as they march on the opponent they can allways fire there heavy weapon. so all in all that seemed rather cool

Back to top Go down

Post  kerr_matt80 Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:15 am

Most often used damned is deep striking multi melta to hit hard targets
kerr_matt80
kerr_matt80
Assassin

Back to top Go down

New Guys armys Empty RE new guy

Post  Commander James of the Ul Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:17 am

In the form of deep strike and multi meltas I guess the dammed might work. I just remember battling then and takeing out 5 in one turn with simple bolter fire. And yes your land raider will take ALOT of fire, but the strength 14 Armour makes a most shots useless (but stay the hell away from meltas). and the POWER OF THE MACHINE GOD makes it a kick ass tank.

Inquisitor

Back to top Go down

Post  gluvzer Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:22 pm

You should consider Ironclad Dreadnoughts for a drop pod army. Two of them in the first wave can really ruin an opponents day with 13 armour, melta gun, and heavy flamer.

Land Raiders are good. Dakka predators can be a good cheap anti-infantry/light vehicle choice as well.
gluvzer
gluvzer

Back to top Go down

Post  smackman Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:40 pm

Is this codex marines? DEVASTATOR SQUADS!!! 4 missile launchers and a sgt are cheaper and more survivable than a pred, stick them in cover and rocket monstrous creatures, rocket rhinos, frag rocket a pack of demons, ... this list is extremely long but I think you get the idea, basically you can blast the living =I=censor=I= outta almost anything for hella cheap and I believe the sgt makes one of your shots count as bs 5 so yeah rocket nesting marines are baller, and cheap.

Also, I'd agree with ryan that deep striking dreads on turn one is always a good game changer, when you pop a death star units transport or blast the =I=censor=I= out of a beefy tank (possibly before your opponent has even moved!!!) it changes the dynamic of the game significantly, also the mental effect on your opponent can sometimes win you the game by itself.
smackman
smackman
Inquisitor Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:54 am

cool well first off i want to say thanks a ton for all the help and information

i do really like the idea of a drop pod assult army

i was thinking of a master of the forge for extra dreads and repairs and 4 tac squads supported by 2 dev squads and 4 dreads and the damed squad droped in 9 drop pods that would provied light turret support.

master of the forge 100
tac squad 10 man with or with out a free heavy wep 170 X 4 = 680
drop pods 35 X 9 = 315
ironclad dread with flamer instead of storm bolter 145 X 3 = 435
damed squad with multi melta and plasma pistol 200
dev squad with missle launchers 150 X 2 = 300

total cost 2030

now thats just a rough draft that is off the top of my head with very little picking apart or planing

any ideas? i geuss the number i'll be looking at will be 2k total points

also for a 1500 battle it could be

master of the forge 100
tac squad 10 man with or without a free heavy wep then split into 4 5 man squads 170 X 2 = 340
drop pods 35 X 9 = 315

that sits at 1490

Back to top Go down

New Guys armys Empty RE new guy

Post  Commander James of the Ul Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:22 am

ohh look out dude I think you have more then 3 Elites in the list. Or does any one still pay any attention to that rule

Inquisitor

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:03 am

well the only elites that are there are the 3 dreads and the damned and yea thats 4 hehe but with the master of the forge as a commander i can take dreads as heavy support so one of thos dreads would be taking a hevey support slot and the 2 dev squads would take the last 2 heavy support slots the only slots not being used are the fast attack slots, a few troop slots, and one hq slot

Back to top Go down

Post  gluvzer Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:30 am

I like it, but you definitly need to shave 90 points off the 2000 point list.

30 points to make it 2000
20 points for melta guns for the tac squads
40 points for combi-meltas for the tac squad sergeants.

If you're doing an in your face drop pod army you need all the melta you can get. You can't send in the tacticals with just bolters. Are you able to shave some points off of the legion of the damned, or not take them (not familiar with them and don't have my codex here)?
gluvzer
gluvzer

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:39 pm

well the more i look at them the more i think i need to remove them..the damned that is. they are cool and all but they do eat up alot of points. over all they cost more then twice the normal marine and die just as easly to anti inf weapons there only strength is aganst things that would kill a marine outright.

master of the forge 100
tac squad 10 man with or with out a free heavy wep and melta and combi melta for sarge 185 X 4 = 740
drop pods 35 X 9 = 315

total cost 1790
leaving 210 left over altho with this set up the master of the forge is not needed for the extra dread and there is enuff left over for a hero of some sort or a even another dread and drop pod

also for a 1500 battle it could be

master of the forge 100
tac squad 10 man with or with out a free heavy wep and melta and combi melta for sarge 185 X 2 = 370
drop pods 35 X 9 = 315

would sit at 1520 and that could be fixed by removing 1 drop pod (35) and having 2 5 man squads in one pod....assuming you can do that i mean there is enuff room but can you have more then one unit in a transport

if all that works that just leaves buying and painting all thos figs heheh

Back to top Go down

Post  gluvzer Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:08 pm

You can't have more than one unit in a transport. You can add Independant Characters.

But, Combat Squads has a special rule that a 10 man squad inside drop pods can choose to deploy as combat squads (2 five mans) or a 10 man at the time of the pods arrival (I believe. again I don't have my codex with me) instead of before game deployment. Check out the book for it..
gluvzer
gluvzer

Back to top Go down

Post  smackman Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:56 pm

You are correct ryan, the squad can split when it arrives in their pod, that way 5 guys can split off and go get milk or something.
smackman
smackman
Inquisitor Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down