Hunters of The Warp
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Jaws of the World Wolf

+5
Timbo
ScottRadom
System Commander
gluvzer
Terran
9 posters

Go down

Jaws of the World Wolf Empty Jaws of the World Wolf

Post  Guest Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:14 pm

Space Wolf Runepriest psychic power.
Draw a straight 24" line, any model touched by the line without an AV takes an I test or is removed from the game.

No wounds inflicted, it's not instant death, so no armour, cover, invulnerable, feel no pain, we'll be back, eternal warrior, synapse or anything else can save you.

With 4 HQ choices, they can take 4 of the Runepriests with this power.

That's a 1/6 chance of failing and disappearing with each cast.

With 4 of the buggers on the table, an I10 model has a 52% chance of vanishing each turn.

So the Space Wolf army has (AT WORST) a 52% chance of killing ANY model they choose if that model is I5+

If the target's initiative is lower, the chance to destroy it is SIGNIFICANTLY higher.

Do you like your Necron Lord with his Resurrection Orb? With 4 Runepriests on the table he only has a 19% chance of surviving a single turn.
Relying on the firepower of your Shas'el? Well he also disappears 81% of the time in a single turn.
Think your Great Unclean one is kind of neat? How neat is a 99% chance of being destroyed the turn he shows up?

Does anyone think this IS NOT =I=censor=I=?

Back to top Go down

Jaws of the World Wolf Empty Re: Jaws of the World Wolf

Post  Terran Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:23 pm

One would hope that something like that would have some sort of limit placed upon it (limited casts, additional peril if it backfires).

I can also see a few things that would mitigate it somewhat. Obviously the Rune Priest would need to pass a psychic test, so anything that interferes with that would be an asset (Farseer Runes, Psychic Hoods, etc.). Plus, it doesn't effect anything with an AV value, so if your favor tanks and transports you will likely not feel the sting so bad. Not to mention higher Init. troops would be less likely to be...eaten by wolves?

It definitely has the look of slightly over-powered, however. Like they went to Staples and grabbed an Iwin button to throw in the Codex.
Terran
Terran
Assassin

Back to top Go down

Post  gluvzer Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:35 pm

If this book keeps in line with the guard dex then the points cost should be appropiate. Plus, who here would take 4 of them? You would find yourself short on opponents around here for league games quickly, and never winning a tourny for bad comp and sports. Really hypothetical stuff here.
gluvzer
gluvzer
Lord of Titan/Hero of ToonCon/Ayatollah of Rock n' Rolla
Lord of Titan/Hero of ToonCon/Ayatollah of Rock n' Rolla

Back to top Go down

Post  System Commander Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:13 pm

Yeah, Ill have to wait to see the whole book before any judgements. Orks, Marines and Guard were all hailed as the end of game for being broken, and they've been nothing short of great.

The other rumour was that you can't take the same psychic power for the rune priests, so there'd be only one.. but again, I'll have to wait.
System Commander
System Commander
System Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:17 pm

The other rumour was that you can't take the same psychic power for the rune priests, so there'd be only one.. but again, I'll have to wait.

The rule is that they can't have the same combination of powers.

Since they can take 2 powers, and since there are 7 powers you can make more than 4 combinations that include JotWW.

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:30 pm

Have fun with your new "Warhammer Armies: Demons of Chaos" book 40k kids!

Like Glover said most of these horrible things don't apply (Thankfully) to any of our GW game leagues. The fantasy gang has long sort of applied a "Gentlemans agreement" of not taking the kind of stuff that makes the game not fun for the opponent/victim. But if this is true and it's really, really bad then it looks to be the same kind fo thing that is really prevalent in fantasy, which even if it does't matter here in Saskatoon DOES mean that somewhere down the line the army books either gotta get upgraded to be on par, which changes the whole game or the books sort of ignore the power codexes and get accused of being underpowered.

All this stuff really boes ill for the out of town tourny goers. Places like Calgary run by a different set of expectatins then we do here. Winnipeg was awful for it's part as well. Only went to one small event in Edmonton but I do think it's safe that Saskatoon is the most compy of any sort of gaming center.
ScottRadom
ScottRadom
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Timbo Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:48 am

How many points are 4 runepriests? They have T4, 2 wounds and no invulnerable save, right? Let's get a grip on ourselves here and actually play against them before jumping to all sorts of crazy conclusions. Plus, it's not like they can hit anywhere on the table. Their range is 24". Most armies ride in transports as well.
Timbo
Timbo
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Jaws of the World Wolf Empty nids

Post  judchic Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:27 am

this is cruel and unusual punishment to all carnifexes out there...
judchic
judchic
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  master of the deathwing Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:58 am

most armies can run a mech army to get out of this, but not much luck for the nids.
master of the deathwing
master of the deathwing
Crusader

Back to top Go down

Post  Paz Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:04 am

One power does not a broken power army make. I doubt very much this will be as redicoulous as the reactionary internets makes it sound. Plus, there are so many other, better hq units to take, I doubt, barring ppl who just want to win, and not have fun, that you will see more than one of these powers taken in a game.

For example, as a daemon player, my fear when the IG dex came out was that ppl would take 2 captains of the fleet, making all my reserves at -2 (RAW allows the modifiers to stack). But no-one I have played or even seen playing IG have used this.
Paz
Paz
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:08 am

I saw lots of net-lists doing just that before the IG FAQ...

4 Runepriests may not start showing up here, but they will be showing up elsewhere and that will change the game. It will change how people in other locations play, and it will change how GW writes all further books.

Additionally, even with restraint, the units I mentioned above, Necron Lords, Tau Commanders, Great Unclean Ones, all can't be transported, and even with a single Runepriest, they have a pretty damn high chance of dying in a single turn. Add Carnifexes, anything Ork, Obliterators, etc. etc. and a lot of armies are incredibly vulnerable to this power. Even a single Runepriest with this power will change the game into "kill the Runepriest" for a lot of players.

Hell, even for stuff with high Initiative, like Eldar Avatars, Hive Tyrants, Keepers of Secrets, Daemon Princes, C'Tans, etc. a 1/6 chance of dying is pretty damn ridiculous.

Back to top Go down

Post  Paz Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:26 am

Though GW does FAQ such silly rules. I just noticed, in the IG faq, that double astropath/fleet dude thing isnt allowed.
Paz
Paz
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  System Commander Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:54 am

Yeah, its always tough to tell what GW will do. Remember when Lash came out.. it seemed like the end of the world to alot of players. It's still nasty as all hell, and GW had ample opporunity to fix it up.. even releasing a faq months after the codex first appeared. IMO, all they had to do was tweak it so all the power did was move the models in the direction the player wanted them to move.. I really dislike how you can use it to bunch them up.. then use defilers/oblits/blasrtmaster to wipe the sqaud.. I think it would still be strong, moving units around, and all, but not as over the top.

So, GW's history is to not fix these things, can't be seen as making a mistake, but instead to reaffirm it's stance. I'm going to make the call that the rule will more than likely stand as written.

I do feel bad the fexes though.. dying on a 4+.. ugh. I have no pity for necrons though. Hopefully the new Nid codex will help combat it.

The way psychic powers are working these days, it's almost a neccessity to bring a psychic hood to the table. Ork, Marines, Eldar, Chaos, and Guard all have some good powers to choose from. I'm almost scared to see what they'd do if they redid the Inquisitor's powers..
System Commander
System Commander
System Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Guardian Angel Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:17 am

Technically, Fex's without the Init upgrade will die on 3+ (Fex base Init is 1).

My opinion is that it will be powerful, but I cannot seeing it being a huge deal with our local group. I dont really think we have any super power games who try to play the most powerful list possible. I

In the end, we will have to wait and see how much of an effect the power will have. I can see it being a way to snipe IC's or special weapons out a squad. Like Robyn said, everyone was saying the Ork, SM and IG were overpowered and they ended up being definately good, but beatable.
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel
Grandmaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down