Hunters of The Warp
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

i gotta ask

4 posters

Go down

i gotta ask Empty i gotta ask

Post  judchic Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:05 am

whats the best way to paint a swarm?
every time i sit down to paint and look at the 50 odd genestealers and gaunts on my shelf it brings a shiver down my spine.
trying to go with behemoths red body black n blue carapace if that helps.

will post pic of a painted warrior/broodlord when i find my camera
judchic
judchic
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

i gotta ask Empty Re: i gotta ask

Post  Lord_Commander_Stash Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:58 am

judchic wrote:whats the best way to paint a swarm?
every time i sit down to paint and look at the 50 odd genestealers and gaunts on my shelf it brings a shiver down my spine.
trying to go with behemoths red body black n blue carapace if that helps.

will post pic of a painted warrior/broodlord when i find my camera

Base coat, ink, drybrush....assembly line. Pick two or three colours which can all be inked the same colour can save a bunch of time aswell. Not much more I can say...
Lord_Commander_Stash
Lord_Commander_Stash
Grandmaster

Back to top Go down

Post  System Commander Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:43 pm

I know two people now who have speed dipped their entire army, one being a Nid army. As how if your interested!
System Commander
System Commander
System Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:40 am

System Commander wrote:speed dipped their entire army
HERESY!

Back to top Go down

Post  System Commander Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:09 pm

Oh, I agree.,. but if they wouldnt have dipped they never ever would of painted their army. So, against the option of playing against grey plastic armies or dipped, I have to choose the dip!

Besdies, once youve dipped you can add the details and it really looks good.

You can check out either armypainter.com to order all the stuff in a ready to go format, or you can search around the net for techniques using min wax product.
System Commander
System Commander
System Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:00 pm

I think for getting masses of models on the table in reasonable shape there are three really good things to look at.

-Foundation paints, save time in getting a good basecoat. Good colors and great coverage.

-Citadel washes. As Stash suggested inks can give you nice shading and depth for nearly zero effort but unles you go back and fix some of the problems using indiscriminate ink washes can leave (Like pooling in bad places) then I would stick to the washes exclusively. They're formula flows pretty good, they dry matte which helps with visualizing painting as you go, and you can keep adding more till you like what you see.

-Cheap Airbush or spray paints. I think everyone who likes to paint armies should consider some form of airbrush if their budget can float it. They're great timesavers and you can do cam patterns and stuff so much easier with an airbursh. Failing that I would check out hardwarer store for some cheap colored acrylic or even enamel spray paints for basecoating after priming. Saves a lot of time.

But it sounds to me liek th ebig problem is getting motivated to paint 50 figs. Can you break the job up to make it less daunting? Do 5 at a time and then paint something different maybe? Good Luck.
ScottRadom
ScottRadom
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down