Hunters of The Warp
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Greetings From A New 40k Player

+7
Aegwymourn
Planes
Lore Weaver
MickJag67
System Commander
Paz
Kal
11 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Greetings From A New 40k Player - Page 2 Empty Re: Greetings From A New 40k Player

Post  GingerBalls Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:13 pm

Paz wrote:They always die...

Lies.
GingerBalls
GingerBalls
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Greetings From A New 40k Player - Page 2 Empty Re: Greetings From A New 40k Player

Post  Kal Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:44 pm

Ok awesome, I do believe I am going to be taking atleast a couple of dreadnoughts, even if they die all the time? Or they don’t? ha which is it? Lol im not rly a big “power gamer” I just wana bring pretty figs and make *pew pew* laser noises as I shoot your tiny plastic men into oblivion, simple right? Gonna stick to following the “rule of cool” so… does that mean I have to model sunglasses onto each of my Space Marines?

Thanks for the link Roland, will give it a look over once my Drop Pods show up.

Magnets… I hadn’t thought about that, not rly something that ever was a big issue in Fantasy. This gives me a lot to think about ill stock up on some different sized earth magnets and get a drill and just see what works / looks good. Thanks for the advice!

Thanks Jud and yes every Space Marine army needs a dreadnought, to sexy to leave home.

Kal
Servitor

Back to top Go down

Post  GingerBalls Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:15 pm

If sunglasses aren't on all of your models I will be very disappointed.
GingerBalls
GingerBalls
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:00 am

GingerBalls wrote:If sunglasses aren't on all of your models I will be very disappointed.

Sir, i assure you everything will now have sunglasses... even the drop pod.

Kal
Servitor

Back to top Go down

Post  GingerBalls Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:08 am

Kal wrote:
GingerBalls wrote:If sunglasses aren't on all of your models I will be very disappointed.

Sir, i assure you everything will now have sunglasses... even the drop pod.

Yissssssssssssss.
GingerBalls
GingerBalls
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:12 pm

So didn't know where else to post this so i figured id post it here. A buddy found out i was starting 40k and offered me a pritty decent Tau army for a very cheap price. Just dont know to much about them or anything yet. Are they any good / fun or how they play? Just thinking it might be worth picking up since its so cheap and i have no clue what armies ill enjoy in 40k. Anyways Thanks.

Kal
Servitor

Back to top Go down

Post  Paz Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:18 pm

They're very shootie-centric. Lots of repositioning, and absolutely shitty close combat.

I'm
Not sure what the fantasy equivelant would be, perhaps all gun line empire?
Paz
Paz
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Aegwymourn Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:07 pm

Paz wrote:They're very shootie-centric. Lots of repositioning, and absolutely shitty close combat.

I'm
Not sure what the fantasy equivelant would be, perhaps all gun line empire?

To static. Maybe wood elves? only less fighty and more shooty?

Mobility is very different in Fantasy I don't think they'd have a direct comparison?

Tau can be really fun. They do tend to get a bit of hate because if you are having a good game your opponent is probably taking handfuls of models off at a time. Just a warning.

Aegwymourn
Aegwymourn
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Planes Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:43 pm

Perhaps the best way to describe them is a synergy-based shooty army? The shooting of any one unit is pretty middling, but you can sequence your shooting to get bonuses from your Marker Lights (basically one unit lights up a target with laser pointers and doesn't do much damage, but then the next until takes those laser pointers and uses them to shoot way better). There are a lot of "knobs and dials" you can turn and tune with them to get the results you want.

Space Marines, including Dark Angels, are a lot more generalist. They're "good" at pretty much everything, and you can dial things in when building your list to get your great tools, with the mobility and accuracy of Drop Pods being one such case.

Planes
Planes
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:09 am

Hrm... thanks guys! doesnt sound like Tau will be fun at all. Just going to stick with Dark Angels if they are generally "good" all around. Ill just invest in more figs for them.

Thanks!

Kal
Servitor

Back to top Go down

Post  GingerBalls Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:14 am

Trust your feelings, Lu... I mean, Kal.
GingerBalls
GingerBalls
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  GingerBalls Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:25 am

PS Black Friday deal on Dark Angles from GW: http://www.games-workshop.com/en-CA/Dark-Angels-Battle-Demi-Company-2015

Not sure what the savings are but some of the others are pretty good.
GingerBalls
GingerBalls
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:44 am

Ha thanks, but unfortunately I forgot about black Friday and already ordered a bunch of stuff on Monday lol. So I dont quite need ALL that much again yet... Altho I would like to know what else I need for Space Marine Dark Angels? Are Deathwing Knights any good? Because they look awesome. Whay about tanks? Can I take em and are they worth it?

Kal
Servitor

Back to top Go down

Post  Paz Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:51 am

Check out this wiki:

Dark Angels tactica

This'll run you through the pros and cons of each unit, suggest army types etc!
Paz
Paz
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Planes Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:17 am

I had been wondering if that was going to be a link to 1d4chan, and then it was. All is right with the world.
Planes
Planes
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:36 am

Ou excellent! That link helped a ton! going to read the whole thing before i bug you all with more questions. Thanks!

Ok so i do hate to be "this guy" right out of the gate but im starting 40k with a buddy and he signed up for the forum literally the same time i did and he still hasnt gotten an email saying his account is now active. Just figured id mention because he is getting jealous of all the advice im getting haha. His name is Raptor_Tamer

Kal
Servitor

Back to top Go down

Post  dusktiger Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:42 am

you can also checkout this site Bolter and Chainsword - Dark Angels subforum  for help as well.  there's tutorials for magnetizing models in the Forge subforum area also.  there's lots of army lists to give you ideas on what people field, and the types of wargear they use;  you can also look for help from the posters there on what models play well and what doesnt, as that subforum is 100's of players that focus on Dark Angels from around the world.  Saskatoon only has maybe 3 people that play them, so you'll get a wider more comprehensive scope of the units in your army.
dusktiger
dusktiger
Lord of Titan

http://dusktigers-den.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  System Commander Fri Nov 27, 2015 2:31 pm

Heya.. sorry, just seen now that he applied for membership.

Im also Kallidon on the Warhammer forums.. so Im hoping he's not gonna come over here and start making fun of us..   Wink

Ill approve it right now.. usually i get email notifications when someone signs up but didnt one this time.
System Commander
System Commander
System Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Paz Fri Nov 27, 2015 6:28 pm

Planes wrote:I had been wondering if that was going to be a link to 1d4chan, and then it was.  All is right with the world.

man, the 1d4chan wiki entries for 40k armies are the best. All games should have clear and concise rundowns on units, so helpful when youre trying to build an army.
Paz
Paz
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal Sat Nov 28, 2015 6:16 pm

Awesome, thanks dusk. Checked it out and it will definitely be a good asset.

Thanks for adding him Kallidon. We will try and keep him in check.

1d4 Chan seems to be a helpful place to go

Kal
Servitor

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2