Hunters of The Warp
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Board games

4 posters

Go down

Board games Empty Board games

Post  System Commander Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:20 pm

So, with all the D6 generation podcasts I'v ebene listening to, I can't help but have a burning desire for alot of the board games they give good reviews to.

I picked up Race for the Galaxy last week but haven't had a chance to play it yet. They spent a whole podcast on the Battlestar Galactica game which is supposed to be preatty awesome. I don't think it's shipped yet though, but is supposed to be only about $40.

I've heard good things about Power Grid, Battlelore, and Tannhauser. Have any of you guys played those or the Game of Thrones game? Game of Thrones looks neat, but haven't heard to much about it.

System Commander
System Commander
System Commander
System Commander

Back to top Go down

Board games Empty Re: Board games

Post  gluvzer Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:40 pm

I was very apprehensive about Game of Thrones, only because there are no dice. After playing it however, It is an amazing game. Very fun, and feels very true to the books. I highly recommend it.
I haven't played any of the other games you mentioned. Came close to playing Tannhauser, but gave up on reading the instructions and played settlers instead.
gluvzer
gluvzer
Lord of Titan/Hero of ToonCon/Ayatollah of Rock n' Rolla

Back to top Go down

Post  System Commander Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:12 pm

Cool, thats good to know. It would be fun to play the game with some other people that read the books.

I have to say the last book, although it was good, irritated me with the set-up. The best thing about the first three was the switching of stories amongst the 15 or so people that each got chapters. Focusing in on .. what was it, 4 or 5 of them was a bit to concentrated, I liked it the other way better.. although I guess you have to do it like that if it takes you 6 years or whatever it's been to write a book.

System Commander
System Commander
System Commander
System Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Justin Buhler Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:08 pm

I haven't played any of them myself, but if you're ever looking for someone to test one out with I'd be interested. Race for the Galaxy seemed especially interesting to try out after looking it up.

Justin
Justin Buhler
Justin Buhler
Sage

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:13 pm

If your down we can do a game of thrones night sometime. I picked up the expansions which we've never tried, but it's a really good game,as Ryan has said.

Jesus Robyn, slow day?

Other games I really like, mostly by Fantasy Flight.

Marvel Super Heroes - It's not a quick and easy set up but it's got Doom and the Avengers. I like it.

War of the Ring - Probably my favorite 1-1 war game ever. It'll take about 3 games before you and your opponent now what's going on and can have an actual game instead of just learning the rules, but it's really worth it. It really captures the feel of the books. Very depressing after set up when youère the good guys!

Mall of horror- Essentially a diceless zombies in a shopping mall. The super awesome part, casualties are determined by voting! You get to pick which player getès eaten! Gear is handed out totally on the whims of the guy who happens to have th emost people by the supply truck. Super fun, lotès of whining and bargaining. A great drinking game.

Game of thrones is top notch. To anyone who plays, itès a great game with a unique feel to it. If youève read the book the amazing thing is how well theyève made a game that feels like the books (which I loved). It plays with 5 people, 6 with an expansion. The downside is some houses are weaker than others. The good side is that is what makes the game great, as alliances are needed to be made, and no two houses are stong enough to take on all three of the other at once. Great system. I need to set something up for this quicker rather than later, but I am actually busy on weekend for the next two months I think. Maybe a weekday, or monday nighter. What do you say Ryan, RobynÉ
ScottRadom
ScottRadom
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  System Commander Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:37 am

I'm screwed for Mondays for the next few months taking a night class. I'd be willing to give er a go on another night though.
System Commander
System Commander
System Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  System Commander Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:25 am

Do you just get to play the armies or are there actual characters to select? I want to ride the Mountain around and destroy some stuff. He was cool.. actually, him and the Hound were probably the two of the cooler characters in the books.

System Commander
System Commander
System Commander
System Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  gluvzer Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:45 am

Characters are used as upgrades in a fight. You are given them at the begining have to choose the proper times to use them to support your armies. I know the hound is one, the mountain must be one as well but I don't remember him in the game. I do however remember him punching the Vyper in the face untill he was dead in the duel.

Scott, I'm in for Game of Thrones whenever, just need the notice, you know how it goes.
gluvzer
gluvzer

Back to top Go down

Post  System Commander Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:01 pm

Awesome, sounds pretty neat.

Have you guys heard anything about Battlestar Galactica? I can give you the basics from what I've gleaned out of the podcasts. Each players selects from a variety of characters, each having different special skills (tactics, mechanics, leadership, etc.) The game starts and everyone is dealt out a card secretly. One of them is a cylon card.. and your secretly a cylon. The humans mission is to gather resources (food, oil, population) and stay ahead of the cuylons. As you gather resources, you have to power up your engine becasue as you stay in one spot to long the cylons start closing and aftert you jump you move into new space. The ship has a bunch of special locations and you can move into the locations on your turn to do stuff like shoot at cylons, force a jump, etc. Alot of the game relies on voting. As the cylon, your always trying to railroad these types of things and eventually, onc eyou reveal your the cylon you get a bunch of special cool powers that you can use to try and wipe the humans out.

Thats a quick overview, but there's lots of intrigue, suspision, tactics so sounds good to me. Of course, I haven't played it all but it sounds cool enough I'd like to give it a try.
System Commander
System Commander
System Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down