Hunters of The Warp
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Grey knights info and other goofiness

+5
Rhaevyn
Roland
Lore Weaver
Timbo
System Commander
9 posters

Go down

Grey knights info and other goofiness Empty Grey knights info and other goofiness

Post  System Commander Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:19 pm

So.. heres a surprise.. Grey knights were never playtested outside of GW..

The chaos one was.. But alot of suggestions from playtesters were eventually ignored.. Like warptalon 6" blind being 12".. Or giving them a non scattering deep strike.

Anyway.. Sorry i cant provide a link but they had a playtester on a podcast talking about it.. I think i saw it on bolter or chainsword.. I cant remember though. Ill check in a bit when i get somw time.. Have to run
System Commander
System Commander
System Commander

Back to top Go down

Grey knights info and other goofiness Empty Re: Grey knights info and other goofiness

Post  Timbo Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:49 pm

I thought all their playtesting was internal. The 40K tournament community has been clamouring for input for years now and GW seems opposed to letting their players have any say in things at all. This is in direct contrast to Privateer Press, Spartan Games, Battlefront, etc. GW seems to barely tolerate their customers/fanbase, all the while pandering to their shareholders. Interesting business model for sure, but like a battered housewife the customers seem to keep coming back for more. I wonder if we'll ever see a breaking point?
Timbo
Timbo
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Grey knights info and other goofiness Empty Re: Grey knights info and other goofiness

Post  System Commander Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:14 am

Well, according to the interviewee, the other codexes were playtested outside.. grey knights never did though.

Sorry, forgot to post the link but I believe the podcast was 40kuk.com. Id listen ot it, but I havent been able to listen to a gaming podcast for over a year... especially the 40k ones. They just talk about everything we discuss on the forums anyway with way to much kissing butt.

I did use to really enjoy d6genetation and worlds end radio.. but lately just cant be bothered. I used to love hearing about the australian tournament scene though.. they had.. at least in my opinion.. what I believed to be a really fun comp system which I think we've discussed a few times here.

It was never really applicable to 40k.. until the Ward. They were mainly using it to balance codex issues with fantasy back when Daemons, Dark Elves, and Vampire Counts were running away with things. Now that balance is a bit back in fantasy and gone a bit wonky in 40k.. I bet they're using it alot more.

WIthout getting into details.. you submit your list ahead of tie and the judges "score" it. You start with a certain number based on army alone.. so necrons might be a -5 and if your playing a 6 ni9ght scythe list.. that might bump it down to a minus 10. But.. if your playing a Tau list which might be +5.. and its balanced with no crazy combos, wargear, etc.. it might be perceived as a weaker list and you could end with say a +10. THe necron player just has that much more of a deficit to make up each game.. so hes going to have be wiping armies completely off the table every game to have a hope to be in the mix.

Anyway, sorry.. skimmed it a bit and the numbers might be a bit off but you get the idea. It encourages a more balanced list or if you do bring a crazy list.. you kmow you'll have a tougher go at it. ALot more work and upkeep for the organizers of course.. but Ive always been a fan of balanced or even mandatory/scored comp. Thats just me though... I know its against the nature of the rules book these days.. just left over nostaligia.. Smile

System Commander
System Commander
System Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Lore Weaver Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:25 am

We used to score comp in 3rd, if I remember correctly. Back then, two troops choices were required, but they really weren't good for anything.
Lore Weaver
Lore Weaver
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Roland Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:03 am

Well, GW *used* to have lots of playtest info... remember the yearly Astronomicon and (all hail) Andy Chambers? And you'd see point adjustments, new units , etc...

Now, it seems very insular and non-reactive.
Roland
Roland
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:03 pm

There were too many leaks.

So around about the time GW got the LOTR IP, they had to prove, to New Line Cinema, they could shut the leaks down. They have, almost without exception, done away with external playtesting since that time.

With the release of the Hobbit this December and the accompanying GW stuff, they've further cracked down on rumours and pre-release information. That's why you now get only guesses until a couple weeks before a release, instead of a pdf codex 3 months early.

Back to top Go down

Post  Lore Weaver Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:22 pm

Hrm... that doesn't follow.

We heard plenty about the Chaos Codex before it was released.

How much has anyone heard about the Hobbit?
Lore Weaver
Lore Weaver
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Rhaevyn Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:04 pm

the funny thing about the whole new line cinema business is that the plot of the hobbit is not exactly an industry secret.....
Rhaevyn
Rhaevyn
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Lore Weaver Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:06 pm

Rhaevyn wrote:the funny thing about the whole new line cinema business is that the plot of the hobbit is not exactly an industry secret.....

Ya, it's not like they got Michael Bay to direct it and change them all into aliens.
Lore Weaver
Lore Weaver
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Aegwymourn Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:08 pm

Lore Weaver wrote:
Rhaevyn wrote:the funny thing about the whole new line cinema business is that the plot of the hobbit is not exactly an industry secret.....

Ya, it's not like they got Michael Bay to direct it and change them all into aliens.

i died a little Sad
Aegwymourn
Aegwymourn
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  System Commander Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:53 pm

GW themselves (jervis) did say they get "tourney vets" to do playtesting for them. You'd have to assume thats where most of the leaks do occur.

Grey knights were the last actual leaked full codex that came out.. Everything else has been smidgets here and there, but man has there been alot of dark angel stuff coming out.
System Commander
System Commander
System Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  System Commander Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:53 pm

Hobbits would be much cooler if they were aliens...

... or ninjas
System Commander
System Commander
System Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Aegwymourn Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:12 pm

new fun fact. apparently cleansing flame has been made a "close combat attack" along with Crowe's "all close combat attacks rend on a 4+" equals shenanigans. this is per the 1.1v FAQ. I can't see this being abused at all Shocked
Aegwymourn
Aegwymourn
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:24 pm

As Eric/GodHead said when they got the New Line LOTR stuff things changed a little. Robyn and I were Outriders/Grey Knights at the time for GW and we were to get advanced copies of the LOTR strategy battle game so we could learn it and start pushing it. Then we were told we'd be getting altered copies with stuff crossed out (Mostly pictures of stuff liek the Balrogs etc) but also references to some characters to make sure as little hit the streets as possible.

And then we just wound up getting our advanced copies anyway, untouched. There is still a pic or two from that original book that didn't appear in the theatrical release or in the extended version.

Previous to myself joining the outrider program for GW select members were used as playtesters. I think that goes back to 6th ed fantasy intitial playtesting in terms of the era.
ScottRadom
ScottRadom
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Grey knights info and other goofiness Empty re GK stuff

Post  Commander James of the Ul Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:50 pm

Timbo wrote:I thought all their playtesting was internal. The 40K tournament community has been clamouring for input for years now and GW seems opposed to letting their players have any say in things at all. This is in direct contrast to Privateer Press, Spartan Games, Battlefront, etc. GW seems to barely tolerate their customers/fanbase, all the while pandering to their shareholders. Interesting business model for sure, but like a battered housewife the customers seem to keep coming back for more. I wonder if we'll ever see a breaking point?

Kinda agree with ya. We are all sheep to GW. Dam I am a sheep. I think I'm going to hold on tell the Eldar dex's and see what happens. I hate to say it but I think I kinda feeling Drop Zone Commander. I hate to say it but if it cost 100 buck to buy a single Storm Raven or 60 to get 5 GK termies. I'm kinda wondering if its worth it. I can get a Hasegawa 1/48 WWII Typhoon along the same price range, better detail, better "crafted" model. And to put the amount of detail into the build would keep me lovely happy for 2 months or more. Also Drop Zone Commander has nicely detail models and they don't cost a fortune to play. I thought I would never see the day but I think 40k is to rich for me...
Guys I'm confused.... Help me.... Help me please

Commander James of the Ul
Inquisitor

Back to top Go down

Post  Timbo Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:48 am

Those Drop Zone Commander figures are nice-looking, but you have to realise they are 10mm models. That is much smaller than Flames of War guys. And they are not cheap. You would not need as many to play a game probably, but it is a whole different animal than 40K.
Timbo
Timbo
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Grey knights info and other goofiness Empty Re GK stuff

Post  Commander James of the Ul Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:28 am

True they are much smaller and the game is much more faster and shooty. But for 130 buck you get a thousand point army, the cards and they will send it to ya in its own custom cut out foam...
For a 130 GW will let you buy a Storm Raven plus the paints. Oh goody...

Inquisitor

Back to top Go down

Post  Lore Weaver Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:24 am

Is the Storm Raven kit $90 now? eeek.

Anyway, 40k has a pretty solid rule system and fantastic story. I think that's what keeps it going after all these years.

EDIT: Also, it's a well supported game with frequent rule updates and the like. I can't think of another miniature game as well supported and long-lived as 40k and Fantasy.
Lore Weaver
Lore Weaver
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:50 pm

I thought farmers were mega-rich anyway?
ScottRadom
ScottRadom
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Lore Weaver Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:04 pm

Get into Farming

See that, it's actually made of Chicken. If you don't kill it, f'ing eggs come out of their arses.
Lore Weaver
Lore Weaver
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Grey knights info and other goofiness Empty Re GK stuff

Post  Commander James of the Ul Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:29 am

Lore Weaver wrote:Get into Farming

See that, it's actually made of Chicken. If you don't kill it, f'ing eggs come out of their arses.

I thought I lost that video. Thanks Mark. And Yes I am poor, I pay myself... sign the back of the check and the warden takes it... ALL OF IT... Before the kids a couple hundred a month on 40k was no problem. Not any more.

Wow way off topic.

Inquisitor

Back to top Go down

Post  gluvzer Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:58 pm

gluvzer
gluvzer
Lord of Titan/Hero of ToonCon/Ayatollah of Rock n' Rolla
Lord of Titan/Hero of ToonCon/Ayatollah of Rock n' Rolla

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:36 pm

I used to love singing that song at work when the staff would start complaining about their problems!
ScottRadom
ScottRadom
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down