Hunters of The Warp
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Instant Mold Tutorial

3 posters

Go down

Instant Mold Tutorial Empty Instant Mold Tutorial

Post  dusktiger Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:00 pm

So some of you may have noticed Darren's stocking this stuff on the shelves now:
Instant Mold Tutorial Instant-mold-review-tutorial-01-213x300

i bought a package to see how it works, and i can tell you if you want to make extra bits, like insignias, etc for your army, such as say....additional ultra marine or salamander symbols off a Forge World door to put on a drop pod, or on the roof hatch of your rhinos, then this stuff is incredible to keep handy. its stupidly easy to use, and unlike a mold made of green stuff, this is 1, reusable; so if you get tired of the mold you made, or you messed up, it can be reheated and redone again. and 2, green stuff does not stick and bond to this stuff, so unlike a GS mold, you don't need Vaseline or cooking oil as a releasing agent. so here's the tutorial:

Here is what I used
  • The item you want to mold (here it’s a FW Salamanders Face plate for a Rhino)
  • Instant Mold
  • Something to cut with (scalpel, cutter)
  • Something to pick up the Instant Mold from the hot water
  • A little piece of plastic card
  • Something to make a container/framework for the mold and something to press the item in it (used here is some Lego bricks, the number will depend on the size of the item you want to mold)
  • Some modelling putty (here it’s Green Stuff but you can also use Milliput, Putty…)

Instant Mold Tutorial Instant-mold-review-tutorial-02-300x224

The box
The first thing you want to make is the box that’ll be used as container. I tried doing it without one and I ended up having many parts that weren’t molded properly, which wasn’t nice. I noticed that with the container everything was molded nicely.
[img]http://chestofcolors.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/instant-mold-review-tutorial-03-300x224.jpg[.img]
The flat pieces in the bottom are there so that you can heavily press the item in the mold without ruining it with the pips on the Lego

Heating it up
After having put it in hot water for 2 minutes, and have it ready, I place it in my container. do this carefully to be sure that you don’t have holes in the mold, or stuff that will make the final result crap.
Instant Mold Tutorial Instant-mold-review-tutorial-05-300x224
Once you have filled the container with the Instant Mold, as you’ll notice, now, there are finger prints and bumps/holes all over the surface of the Instant Mold, so to avoid having a bad mold, I put it back like this in the hot water, taking care of not pressing it or whatever to soften it again a little so that I’ll be able to remove the fingerprints and bumps/holes using the plastic card like so:
Instant Mold Tutorial Instant-mold-review-tutorial-06-300x224
once you've flattened it, it should look like this:
Instant Mold Tutorial Instant-mold-review-tutorial-07-300x224

Push It!
As you can see, it’s not perfect, but it’s better. If you’re fast, you can directly press your item into the mold using something to press it down evenly with. (I personally put it back in the hot water one more time before pressing it, but that’s just me)
Instant Mold Tutorial Instant-mold-review-tutorial-08-300x224
Instant Mold Tutorial Instant-mold-review-tutorial-09-300x224

Once you’ve pressed it down, you should have something like this:
Instant Mold Tutorial Instant-mold-review-tutorial-10-300x224

Now you wait a little so that the mold hardens itself. Don’t try to remove the item from the Instant Mold while the Instant Mold is still soft, you might break some details here (and it’s not what you want). It takes usually 4-5 minutes to be completely hard, so be patient. You can check for bubbles and irregularities while Instant Mold is hardening by flipping it. if there are any, it'll be easy to spot at this point.
Instant Mold Tutorial Instant-mold-review-tutorial-11-300x224

Clean up
Now the next step isn’t necessary, but I find it lets me save unused Instant Mold for other pieces. Cut the excess away:
Instant Mold Tutorial Instant-mold-review-tutorial-12-300x224

Molding
Once everything is clean, just prepare and put your green stuff/miliput inside the mold:
Instant Mold Tutorial Instant-mold-review-tutorial-13-300x224
Now, you just have to wait for it to harden. I personally wait about 8 hours. Why? Simply because I just want to be sure that everything is completely hard, because there are multiple tiny details that are inside the mold that you don't want to risk ruining.
Instant Mold Tutorial Instant-mold-review-tutorial-14-300x224

Finished Results
Once everything is hard, you can easily decant it by peeling off the putty you used from the IM. You don't need to put the mold in hot water again (especially if you want to re-use it for the same item) because, even when green stuff is still pretty sticky, it won’t stick to the IM. Now you can just see the result.
Instant Mold Tutorial Instant-mold-review-tutorial-15-300x225

originally written by Hellspawn on Chest of Colors. Cleaned up grammar myself.

I've used this stuff to make copies of some of the resin bases i ordered online, and on some FW Red Scorpion Symbols, and it's very nice to work with. once its out of the hot water though, you have only 2-4 minutes to put your bit into it to cast; the stuff hardens fairly fast once it starts to cool down, so keep that in mind.
dusktiger
dusktiger
Lord of Titan

http://dusktigers-den.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Instant Mold Tutorial Empty Re: Instant Mold Tutorial

Post  kerr_matt80 Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:54 pm

can you buy this stuff locally?
kerr_matt80
kerr_matt80
Assassin

Back to top Go down

Post  dusktiger Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:56 pm

kerr_matt80 wrote:can you buy this stuff locally?

.............................. "So some of you may have noticed Darren's stocking this stuff on the shelves now:"

didnt read the first line, did ya matt. herrrrre's your sign. darren's had it at the den for about a month or three.
dusktiger
dusktiger
Lord of Titan

http://dusktigers-den.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Aegwymourn Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:15 pm

wish i had seen this review for my Black Templar Terminator Pieces and Storm Sheilds. seems like an awesome product.
Aegwymourn
Aegwymourn
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down