Hunters of The Warp
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A questions on QuikShade...

4 posters

Go down

A questions on QuikShade... Empty A questions on QuikShade...

Post  Roland Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:44 pm

From what I've read, you basecoat, apply decals (and paint around them to seal them), then dip.

Afterwards you do any basing (static grass, etc.). Then you hit it with the matte varnish to seal the sucker and hold everything on.

The question... if you're putting etched brass on the peice, where does it fit in? Before you dip or before you seal? Mainly I'm just not sure how the QuikShade will act on the brass (There is some room to hang up on the brass, it's not flat.)
Roland
Roland
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

A questions on QuikShade... Empty Re: A questions on QuikShade...

Post  ScottRadom Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:39 pm

Won't you be painting the brass?
ScottRadom
ScottRadom
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Roland Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:37 pm

[internal monolouge ON]
Yeah! Now I get to show my ignorance!!
[internal monolouge OFF]

Is the brass normally painted? I've see it just glued on and also painted (in particualar that Ultramarines showcase army in White Dward about a year or two ago. The one with snow bases?).

Its a Lysander conversion into a UM termie captain. 2 brass pieces. One I am definately considering painting. The other would look okay as is (unless I just painted it Shining Gold rather than leaving it plain brass). I'll see if I can take some pics so you can see what bitz I'm talking about in particular.
Roland
Roland
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:52 pm

Yeah I would reccomend attaching them to the mini before priming and just painting them up as you would anything else.
ScottRadom
ScottRadom
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Dana Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:23 am

Id maybe go over your decals with some varnish. GW sells a pot of varnish. Im just not sure if a decal would discolour from the dipping or not. But putting a few coats of the varnish over the decal will seal it up and protect it when you go to spray it when its done. Maybe get a piece of plastic prime it up then put a few decals on and try dipping it. Have a decal varnished over and one not and see what happens then try giving it a coat or two of spray to see what happens
Dana
Dana
Crusader

Back to top Go down

Post  dusktiger Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:07 am

well, you've seen some of my angels post-quikshade, roland, so i can give you a couple tips.

- the quickshade doubles as a gloss varnish sealant, as it is a varnish. just, thinned down for our use. so unless you want a matte look, you dont need to spray them afterwards.

- anything white will not come out a brilliant white post-dipping. itll look slightly aged. this includes the white decals. refer to the angel wings on my avatar's shoulder pad.

- quikshade acts the same on brass as it does on our pewter models. bare or painted, it'll still shade it.
dusktiger
dusktiger
Lord of Titan

http://dusktigers-den.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down