Hunters of The Warp
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Static Grass

+2
gluvzer
Roland
6 posters

Go down

Static Grass Empty Static Grass

Post  Roland Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:38 am

Ok am I just stupid or something? I've tried applying it like most of the tutorials say (some PVA glue, pile on with some tweezers, tap of excess and gently blow away the rest) and it just looks.... awful. It doesn't even remotely look like it supposed to and given it's the first time I've tried I'm sure I'm doing something wrong. Any help would be appreciated.
Roland
Roland
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Static Grass Empty Re: Static Grass

Post  Guest Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:46 am

Roland wrote:Ok am I just stupid or something? I've tried applying it like most of the tutorials say (some PVA glue, pile on with some tweezers, tap of excess and gently blow away the rest) and it just looks.... awful. It doesn't even remotely look like it supposed to and given it's the first time I've tried I'm sure I'm doing something wrong. Any help would be appreciated.

is it just lying flat there? well i think you can move it around a bit, can't remember, its been a while

but...then again thats why i just like going with sand

Back to top Go down

Post  gluvzer Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:24 pm

I only use static grass for clumps of grass on my bases. I'll pinch a hefty amount between my fingers and then press it firmly on the base where my pva glue is. I then turn the model upside down and tap off all the excess. Then, to get the grass to stand up, I take a toothpick and brush the grass up. More or less, just using the toothpick to prick up the grass. Hope I wasn't too confusion. Probably too late..

Last edited by gluvzer on Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
gluvzer
gluvzer
Lord of Titan/Hero of ToonCon/Ayatollah of Rock n' Rolla

Back to top Go down

Post  System Commander Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:53 pm

Thats pretty much what I do as well.. clump of glue on base.. I'll hold the mini over the static grass bag and get a big ol' clump and drop it on the glue areas.. Press it down a bit then tap the excess back into the bag. Super quick and easy. I'm lazier than Ryan on the comb method though.. I've never though about that but I might try it now. Alot of the time the grass will stand up just by the glue drying.

Are you using the standard static grass or do you have a different variant?
System Commander
System Commander
System Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Roland Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:53 pm

Johnny 5: Yeah, it just lies there. Looks horrible.

gulvzer: That's all I'm looking to do (clumps). I'm not pressing hard, basically just dropping it on the glue and burying it. I didn't turn it upside down, and didn't "comb" it.

Sys Comm: It sounds like I'm doing basically what you are, except for pressing down. It's GW static grass (from the starter paint kit if that helps).

Think I'm gonna use some spare bases and try a few, pressing down then "combing" if it looks necessary.
Roland
Roland
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  smackman Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:23 pm

I'm with robyn on the just pressing it in and the glue drying stands it up... but now ryan's spitting in my eye with his combing the grass method and making me look like a jackass! Actually I'll probably never comb it unless i get a longer type of grass.
smackman
smackman
Inquisitor Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Spamus Eatus Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:00 pm

I use a combination of ballast and static grass on my nids. After basing with ballast, I just put a few blobs of superglue down here and there, and sprinkle the grass on. Seems to work well that way. I've tried the PVA before, but my grass always peeled off.
Spamus Eatus
Spamus Eatus
Inquisitor Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:50 pm

here's a little video of a dude making a base.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eEhHerFOdU
ScottRadom
ScottRadom
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  System Commander Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:18 am

The only error it appears to me you might be making is after putting the grass on, making sure you tap off all the excess. If your putting it on and leaving the excess sitting on top, then I can definitely see why its not working.. the grass underneath cant stand up with the weight of the excess grass on top. If you tap it off, it will definitely work.
System Commander
System Commander
System Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  gluvzer Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:59 am

smackman wrote:... but now ryan's spitting in my eye ............... and making me look like a jackass!

Nothing new here!
gluvzer
gluvzer

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum