Hunters of The Warp
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

League Sign-up and Info

+3
Terran
Administratum
System Commander
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

League Sign-up and Info Empty League Sign-up and Info

Post  System Commander Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:15 am

So, we've been discussing it across a few forums, but wanted to bring it into one category for easy access.

I'll send Darren a sign-up sheet for the League tomorrow. We'll still refer to it as the 40K Hunters of the Warp league, but we'll call the Tuff and Fluff the two divisions of it. When you sign up, you'll have to sign up for one division, and this will be the division you accumulate your league points in.

Weve gone over the basics of what criteria you should weigh when deciding on a division. The Fluff division will be running an escalation league, starting at 500 points and going up 250 every weeks. As well, there will be a bonus for having a painted army during each game. Games will of course be competitive, but won't consist of the tougher lists, but more of a balanced approach. There won't be any restrictions or enforcing of it, but try to be aware of that. The Tuff league will be just that.. Tuff! You'll be trying out the strong units and combinations and encouraged to bring your a-list and a-game every time you play.

During the league, it will be possible to play members of the other division, and stuill accumulate points in the division you signed up for. You won't be eligible for any bonus points, but youll still get your win/loss/draw points. I dont think it will be a problem if your in the Fluff league and lets say a month into it a 1000 point limit, you deicde you want to have a 2000 point game and challenge a Tuff division member.. I think that should be ok.

So thats the basics.. these aren't the entirety of the league rules, but the basics on how the two divisions will interact. Any questions or concerns you can think of?

Last edited by System Commander on Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:18 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Typos!)
System Commander
System Commander
System Commander

Back to top Go down

League Sign-up and Info Empty Re: League Sign-up and Info

Post  Administratum Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:08 am

Hey i cant remember if this has come up or not, but would a limit on games me a good idea? It always seems like there are people who just dont have the time to be competitive otherwise.

Administratum
Inquisitor Lord

https://huntersofthewarp.forumakers.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:11 am

There is a limit of 2 (scoring) games per week for the Tuff league.

Back to top Go down

Post  System Commander Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:51 pm

I'm thinking of putting a limit of four per week during the small point games.. then bumping it up to two per week duriung the rest of the league.

You can definitely play more than 2, but you'd only record your top two games. I'm only going to be able to play the one night a week anyway.. and after the middle of May probably not any for a bit at least.
System Commander
System Commander
System Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:29 pm

when you say that you can report your 2 "best" games... does that mean if you play 3 games, win 2, lose 1... You report winning twice?

Back to top Go down

Post  Terran Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:33 pm

Yeah. I see where you may be coming from with your unstated point:

What if someone plays like 50 games and only wins twice. They get to report 2 wins despite the fact that they stink, or something to that effect.

In reality, most people in either league only have enough time for 3-4 games per week, maybe upwards of 5-6. In the end, I don't see reporting your two best results as causing everyone to appear exactly equal. There will be differences, that should follow the expected pattern of 'Who is good, who is mid-ground, and who is not playing so hot'.
Terran
Terran
Assassin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:37 pm

Well Im just wondering cuz I plan on playing wednesdays, and getting around 3 games in.

So I'm just wondering if I get to say I win 100% of the points if I get 2/3 games... Or how the "best games" works

Leageus Ive played in the past were just that you took your first and second games of the week., You could keep playing after in league games but got no points for games 3-4-5-6-etc..., your opponent could still record if he was playing his 1st and 2nd games.

Back to top Go down

Post  System Commander Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:38 pm

More or less, yup.

I'll just have to figure out how that'll work in terms of actual reporting.
System Commander
System Commander
System Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  System Commander Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:43 pm

3-4 games a week? That seems really high, and even at the peek of last league, average was still only around 2, with the odd third in there.

3 "full" games on Wednesday is going to be a stretch. There are going to be alot of people booking games, so we'll have to allow the guys who are looking for one game prefernece before that second and third game is booked.

As for recording your two best.. I dont see an issue at all. This is even the first time we'll be doing this.. and I fundamentally don't agree with it. I can see other people's points though.. but I'm thinking if your putting in the time that league to play all those games, then you deserve to be in the playoffs. This isn't a who has the best win/loss ratio.. its just something fun to make regular games more interesting. At the end, we have a playoffs.

If we dont allow taking the two best, you play your two games and there is no incentive to play any more games. I dont want to limit games in this manner. You should be allowed to play as many you want.. and at least by taking the two best games a week, you have a reason to play that third game if you want to.

System Commander
System Commander
System Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Veyure Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:56 pm

So are the ones you are recording apply to the person you played against as well? I can understand that people will likely keep playing until they get 2 wins and then what about all those other guys you played that are going to record the win for there reports. so do the people the reporting player played against gain points for that game as well?

My question is suppose to bring your attention a pottential problem of the logistics and a complication you might not be wanting to deal with.

If there is no points for the guy who lost the game being reported, why not just give everyone X points for playing a game as long as they play 2 games.

Also, if you arent requiring people to report every game then how are you going to verify that said result is true? I hope people wouldnt be dishonest, but worst case scenario: player Y plays 3 games, loses them all but then on saturday, reports that he played player Z and player U and won both games even though player Y never even got out of bed all day.

Just some things to ponder for ya SC. Very Happy
Veyure
Veyure
Inquisitor

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:04 pm

Well I think a big difference is how much time the Den is open compared to stores I played at in montreal.

One place we could play from noon till 1 am, goign between wargames, cards, and computer games (it had a lan-cafe)

Stores that closed at 10 were considered closing too early

so it was easy to hang around and get like 5-6 games in a week

Back to top Go down

Post  System Commander Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:15 pm

Oh, we'll definitely be reporting every game, just like normal.

I was just mentioning I havent figured out yet how I'll monitor the 2 games. I'
ll probably just have to include a question asking you which game number that is for you that week. That way the person compil;ing the numbers will know to go back at the previous reported games.

Google docs spit all those questions into one spreadsheet.. so its actually quite easy to look those types of things.
System Commander
System Commander
System Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:27 pm

so can we only report 2 games
also if iam in fluff and esceation is only at 500 could i play a guy in tuff at 1000?

Back to top Go down

Post  Administratum Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:33 pm

Im not a math guy, but if people are taking their top 2 games, then what happens to their opponents points. This is tough to explain, let me use an example

So there are 3 games played.

Robyn vs Dana = Dana wins
Robyn vs Paz = Robyn wins
Robyn vs Ivan = Robyn wins

So Robyn takes his two wins and is done. [16 points in week 1]

Then the games continue like this
Dana vs Greg = Dana looses
Dana vs Chris = dana wins

Dana plays 3 games total, but keeps his two wins [16 points for the week.]

And the last player
Ivan vs Dana = Ivan wins
Ivan vs Jim = Ivan wins

Ivan has played 3 games and keeps his two wins [16 points in the first week.]

This is a slimmed down example, but what im trying to get at is that the more games a person can play the more likely that they will be able to report 2 wins every week. This also seems unbalanced in my mind, because you are never accountable for losses, because you and your opponent dont have to agree on what games to report.

I dont know if any of this will matter in actual practice, but the idea is making my loophole senses tingle

Administratum
Inquisitor Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:37 pm

well essentily everyone will always get 2 wins a week this is a flwed system

Back to top Go down

Post  Viserion Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:18 pm

This is a slimmed down example, but what im trying to get at is that the more games a person can play the more likely that they will be able to report 2 wins every week. This also seems unbalanced in my mind, because you are never accountable for losses, because you and your opponent dont have to agree on what games to report.

I dont know if any of this will matter in actual practice, but the idea is making my loophole senses tingle

I think the problem is that you are looking for loopholes. With the xcam format both players had to submit a report or Robyn's bloodthirsty demon senses would start tingling. Same idea here both players agree it is a "scored" game and submit reports accordingly.
Viserion
Viserion
Sage

Back to top Go down

Post  Veyure Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:47 pm

I think the problem is that you are looking for loopholes. With the xcam format both players had to submit a report or Robyn's bloodthirsty demon senses would start tingling. Same idea here both players agree it is a "scored" game and submit reports accordingly.

But robyn says you get to choose your best game or rather the best games will be compiled. So the one that lost is not actually necessarily being recorded for that person only the winner. so yeah, it seems that everyone could be able to get there max wins every week, unless they don't have time to play many games which then those guys who can hang out and play games several days a week have an advantage for gaining points and potentially getting top spots in the playoffs. this to me seems a bit unfair for those like me who can only make it out to game once a week due to family concerns and such.
Veyure
Veyure
Inquisitor

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:03 pm

i am against this only record certain games thing in all respects i hate it Evil or Very Mad

Back to top Go down

Post  Administratum Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:51 pm

Viserion wrote:

I think the problem is that you are looking for loopholes.

/sigh
What is your name. Ill try to be at the den tomorrow so we can discuss this face to face, because i have no idea who the =I=censor=I= you are, and your tone really pissed me off just now.

Administratum
Inquisitor Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  System Commander Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:38 pm

Ok, first.. everyone needs to watch wording a bit. Viserion, Cam wasn't looking loopholes at all, just pointing out problems. Cam's the only other admin on here, so thinking he's looking for loopholes is a bit harsh. Lets just keep things easy going in the discussions, including the replies. Thats what the discussion is about... ironing out the new system.

Ok, first off.. you report every game you play like we've always done.. Ill take the top two games, thats it. I will see all reports, all points will be recorded, but you'll be limited in points to your two top games a week.

I also disagree that everyone will be getting two wins a week. Alot of people will only be playing one game a week. I could potentially see two games a week, but I really can't see much many people playing 3-4 games a week. Ill say it again, I was recording the games all through last league and it was very rare that 3-4 games were reported by one person.. very rare.

I really dont understand the problem guys.. we've never had a limitation on games before.. ever. 16 people in the playoffs this past league meant that even getting an average amount of strat points got you a spot. There's going to be another 16 playoff spots again this time around between the two leagues. I dont want to limit games period.. but I'm doing it because the demand seemed there. I dont think it's fair to force people to only play two games a week and thats it. This is comking from the guy who'll only be playing one game a week mind you.

If someone has inside knowledge regarding this that I dont know about.. then someone let me know. I really dont see a problem..
System Commander
System Commander
System Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  System Commander Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:24 am

If the majority of people only want two games to be played period, take your points and be done with it. Im definitely willing to put it in. If you think your going to bewanting to play more than two games regularly, then maybe we can offer say.. +1 league point for each extra game.. its very minor, but at least you have a little extra league incentive to play that extra game.

How does that sound to everyone..

However, i do want to be able to reserve the right a the end of tghe league, to bring out the stats if the average amount of games played was 1-2... and wave er around and flaunt it and all that stuff. Of course, if Im wrong.. it will never be heard of again.. Smile

But seriously.. is that looking more in line. I really dont want to cut off games at 2 only.
System Commander
System Commander
System Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Veyure Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:00 am

I like your suggestion robyn. Get a +1 point for any game after the limit. I doubt id get in more than a game a week either, and i'm likely not even going to be around for the playoffs anyway since i am going to basic training this summer for 14 weeks starting beginning of may.
Veyure
Veyure
Inquisitor

Back to top Go down

Post  smackman Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:11 am

robyn I like it, record the first two games and then +1 point for each game after, sounds like a very solid system. (I wouldn't even mind 1 game for full points and then +1 after but that would only make the argument for playing more games more bitter) I'd also be a big fan of record the first 2 games and then your only reward of playing more games is the fun of playing 40k but hey RPG's have ruined us all, if we're gonna game we want phat lootz and experience yo...

There's two leagues, I'm buying into both of them and will be playing in both, AND I'm playing mordheim... honestly there's so many games going on in this town how is this limit thing even coming up? Cap it at two sounds fair to me.
smackman
smackman
Inquisitor Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Paz Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:53 am

Phew...

So I think you have it nailed down Robyn. First two games, extra point per extra game. Remember everyone, there are two leagues now, so for the fluff, I don't see ppl spamming games.
Paz
Paz
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:07 pm

robyn that is in the top 10 best ideas anyone has ever had

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down