Hunters of The Warp
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Octo Con Lists

3 posters

Go down

Octo Con Lists Empty Octo Con Lists

Post  smackman Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:58 pm

Okay with Octo Con looming up and very little play testing on my part I've built 3 lists and would like some opinions on which way to go:

List 1 Necrons 1999pts [Needs 12 models painted]

HQ
1 x Necron Lord with Phalactary, Rez Orb, Phase Shifter 185pts
1 x The Night Bringer 360pts

Elite
6 x Pariahs 216pts

Troops
10 x Necron Warriors 180pts

Fast Attack
2 x Wraiths 82pts

Heavy Support
2 x Monoliths 470pts
2 x Tomb Spiders 110pts

List 2 Chaos Space Marines 1996pts [Needs 15 models and 4 tanks painted]

HQ
1 x Chaos Terminator Lord, MoK, Bloodfeeder 155pts
1 x Demon Prince, MoT, Wings, Warptime, Doombolt 185pts

Elite
4 x Terminators, 3LC, 1HFlamer, 1 Chainfist, MoK, Landraider dedicated Transport 420pts
1 x Dreadnought, DCC wep, heavy flamer, plasma cannon 110pts

Troops
8 x Khorne Beserkers, champ with pwr wep, rhino 233pts
8 x Khorne Beserkers, champ with pwr wep, rhino 233pts
10 x Chaos Marines, lascannon, mark of chaos glory 180pts

Heavy
2 x Predator annihilator 330pts
1 x Defiler, 4DCC Weapons, Battle Cannon 150pts

List 3 Orks 2000pts [Needs 83 models and 10 walkers painted]

HQ
2 x Big Mekk, shokk attack gun, bosspole 190pts

Elites
9 x Lootas 135pts
9 x Lootas 135pts

Troops
30 x Boyz w/ choppas, Nob with pwr claw and bosspole, 220pts
30 x Boyz w/ choppas, Nob with pwr claw and bosspole, 220pts
30 x Boyz w/ shootas, Nob with pwr claw and bosspole, 3 big shootas 235pts
2 x Deffdread, 2 DCC weps, 2 Rokkit Launcha 200pts

Fast Attack
15 Stormy Boyz, Nob with pwr claw and bosspole 220 pts

Heavy Support
3 x Killa Kans, grotzookas, 3 grot riggas 150pts
3 x Killa Kans, grotzookas, 3 grot riggas 150pts
3 x Killa Kans, grotzookas, 2 grot riggas 145pts

I think the orks would do the best but on the down side they need the most work and playing 116 models that move every turn and firing 20 template weapons, and 91-127 shots each shooting phase would get pretty tiresome and tough to play in under 2 hours, but i guess i could have some time trials and get really quick lol. Plus I'd like to some of my grey horde painted and this seems like a good excuse.

Chaos list seems pretty solid to me, and isn't too much painting.

Necrons would probably wiff the entire day but they'll be painted by octo con even if I don't play them just because I enjoy them.

Let me know what you guys think, as obviously I'd have to get cracking on orks asap.
smackman
smackman
Inquisitor Lord

Back to top Go down

Octo Con Lists Empty Re: Octo Con Lists

Post  Guest Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:29 am

I gotta say I love the ork list. It definitely looks like fun, and would probably do pretty well. I'd be willing to help you test it out sometime, too... if you don't mind Trial Vs Shooting Squad (AKA Guards)

Back to top Go down

Post  Timbo Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:26 am

If the rounds for the tourny are only 2 hours I'd stay away from the Ork list. It looks very tough, but 9 killa cans won't make you any friends and games will be difficult to complete. The Necron list looks like it doesn't have any Necrons. I count 31, is that right? That looks extremely risky. Chaos it is! Smile
Timbo
Timbo
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  smackman Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:52 am

I like the orks alot, hence I have started painted boyz, but I am still unsure about being able to play that list in 2 hrs. The necrons list not having many necrons I see as an advantage, the fewer there are the fewer I need to keep on the table to avoid phase out, theres 33 in the list which means I have to keep 8 alive, with 3 very hard and very threatening targets up I think it's a competitive list, the lord, pariahs and tomb spider are also fairly threatening as they can't be ignored, hopefully giving my warriors some breathing room, however it would be the most challenging list to play. Chaos I'm on the fence about as it will be a very popular army and wouldn't stand out much against any other army as to me it seems too standard and too predictable.

As for having 9 kans, big deal, I'm sure there's gonna be someone playing 6 lemon russ with 2 Valkyries (I would).
smackman
smackman
Inquisitor Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:41 am

smackman wrote:
As for having 9 kans, big deal, I'm sure there's gonna be someone playing 6 lemon russ with 2 Valkyries (I would).

I think you got that backwards... need LOTS of valks. Very Happy
my 'dream cheese list' at 2K is 6 hydras 6 vendettas, with Psyker Battle Squads/Vets in Chimeras. I'd never actually play something like that, but it's sure fun to think of the carnage it's capable of reaping. Maybe not THE most competitive list out there, but still makes me do a cheesy grin when I think about it.

Though a half dozen Russes would also be fun... and cheaper Very Happy

As far as the timing goes, As I said earlier I'd be more than willing to have a game against it to help you figure out if it can handle the 2 hr limit.. though fair warning my army is a bit on the slower side too, so this'd be a 'worst case scenario' as far as game length goes. Just tell me if/when you ever wanna try it out.

I agree with Tim on the necrons though - 33 necrons means TARGET. If I were playing 'win at all costs' against that army, I'd just dump ammo crates on the warriors until they dissapeared.

Back to top Go down

Post  Timbo Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:22 am

Someone might play 6 Leman Russes, but it's not good. Vehicle squadrons are very vulnerable to assaults, and losing Russes to glancing hits is very bad. I would way rather face 6 Russes of any type than say, 3 Demolishers fielded singly. In tournaments I think players have to be aware of what is perceived as beardy as well as what is actually beardy. They are not one and the same. Lash of Submission got a lot of press as the "best psychic power", etc. With the prevalance of all of the mech now fielding multiple models with lash is a double whammy. Not only is the power overrated, but your opponents will think you're being beardy as well. It's the worst of both worlds. At least the Killa Kans are really good, but the list will still be perceived as beardy. In a tournament with comp and sportsmanship scoring, it probably means that you will not be able to win the overall. That's a pretty severe handicap to accept before the tournament even starts. Although you might be able to compete for best general. Just look at the armies that were at the top at BolsCon. They were some pretty mundane lists, design wise.
Timbo
Timbo
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  System Commander Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:03 pm

I think the chaos list is great, good a balanced and will get your good comp scores for sure. Only down part being Calgary tends to have alot of chaos armies... last time I went two years ago it was probably about 1/3.

It's hard to make a necron list that will be decent these days. I dont think it would take much to get through those warriors.. especially against an Imperial Guard army.. the phase out will get you every single time. With a chaos list, I dont think Ive lost to necrons in 3 years.. and they took an even bigger hit in 5th with combat resolution and the fact you need troops to claim objectives. However, if you want a challenge, thats the way to go.

The Ork list would be tough at timed tournie. It will take a long time to move them all, a long time to shoot.. especially for those Killa Kans. I cant see it scoring high with your opponents. It's just the time it takes to resolve all those grotzookas.. you have to roll each one sepearte, and a scatter twice for each one..
System Commander
System Commander
System Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  smackman Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:15 pm

Well I'd like to play test the chaos sometime this week if anyones interested
smackman
smackman
Inquisitor Lord

Back to top Go down