Hunters of The Warp
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Apocalypse game - summary

2 posters

Go down

Apocalypse game - summary Empty Apocalypse game - summary

Post  System Commander Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:19 pm

I thought I'd give everyone a quick little synopsis regarding the Apocalypse game me and Tim played this past Wednesday. It's only the second Control game played in the league, so I'm really hoping some more will start happening now that strategic points are a little easier to come by. Keep in mind you dont have to play play an actual Apocalypse game to have a control game, you jsut get bonuses if you do.

So, Tim's 3000 of Eldar faced off against 3000 of Chaos. Nothing to crazy in terms of formations, save I had a Baneblade and Tim bought a Spirit Host formation (I think thats what it was called). Eldrad and Kharne chose to lead each army respectively.

With the table ready, the bidding process for first turn began. With his bid of 20 minutes, Tim assured his army would be going second and also chose Flank March as his strategic asset so he could bring his reserves (in this case his whole army) on from ANY board edge. He'd get half his army in on the second turn, and the rest on turn 3.

I didn't have to much to do except arrange my units to cover the most possible board edges. I was actually feeling a bit paranoid.. I've fought Tim's army before coming in on turn 2 and 3 and knew what to expect.. the only problem this time was that he could be coming in anywhere.. I was feeling particularly freaked out about the squad of fire dragons. In the falcon, they pretty much had free reign of a round of shooting at any vehicle they wanted.. every vehicle fired their smoke launchers on turn 2 to help out since I knew I was about to take a ton of fire.

The smoke launchers did pay off, as a few vehicles were to shrug off the worst of the fire. I lost all my bikes save the champ and the Greater Daemon dissapeared in a puff of warp laced ecto goo. I wasn't complaining though, I rolled good armor saves and got off pretty easy. In reply, I was able to dish out some heavy damage back to Tim's forces, taking out two Dire Avenger squads (they failed their leadership and ran off) and forcing the Warp Spiders, and Harlequins to fall back. This was pretty much the theme for the whole game for Tim.. rolling low on the tank damage table, and then rolling high on leadership tests. He ended up failing 5 of 6 leadership tests for falling back, which helped out alot as it took off alot of pressure and allowed me to ignore a few squads.

At the end of turn 4, things were looking really healthy for Chaos. I was sitting on 3 objectives with another being contested. I was about to lose it though as the bulk of Tim's army marched on from my board edge and cleaned up all the defense I saved. Despite that, I was feeling pretty confident and lucky about the first few turns had played out. Things spun around quickly then. Within the next two turns I lost the Baneblade and Kharne in a single round. The Oblits puffed away fighting a lone Harlequin. The Daemon Prince died from gun fire. A squad of Berserkers got tangled up in a Combat with 2 War Walkers, a Wraithlord, and Eldrad's squad chock full of Warlocks. Things were starting to look really grim for Chaos the longer things went.

Into the last couple rounds, I was sitting on two objectives with full squads of Berserkers and Tim had one secured, and was trying to get his beefy unit of Wraithguard with a Wraithlord to claim another one. In the ticking seconds of round 7 or 8 (I cant remember exactly) Chaos was able to hold out.

I actually thought the game had ended a tie. I had chosen Vital Objective as my asset and taken the one in my deployment at the start of the game. I had a squad of regular marines, plague marines, a daemon prince, as well as a summoned Greater Daemon sitting on it. At the end of the game I thought the objective counted as two for anyone that held it at the end of the game, not just me. Tim pointed out it was only worth doulbe for me so I luckily clawed a victory from it.

At the end of the game, all I had left was a beat-up Rhino, 5 berserkers in one squad and 8 in another. Tim had Eldrad left, 2 Wraithlords, 4 guardians , and a Squad of Wraithguard. It was a bloody game, but a ton of fun. I got very, lucky early with all the failed leaderships Tim was making. He was rolling 10's and 11's to fail these as well, so the dice gods were looking favorably on me that day.

Thanks again for the game Tim, a re-match is yours when you have the time. I think we'll be able to push it up to 4000+ if you want as well.
System Commander
System Commander
System Commander

Back to top Go down

Apocalypse game - summary Empty Re: Apocalypse game - summary

Post  Timbo Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:53 am

Yes, it was a really fun game although it didn't look like it was going to be after turn 2. The Spirithost formation almost turned things around for me and at least made the game interesting. My man of the match was certainly my Harlequin Troupe Leader and the Fire Dragons did what Fire Dragons always do. I was looking at the CSM Apocalypse formations and they look awesome! I want to field 90 plague zombies! I also want a Plague Tower of Nurgle! Time to do a little scratch building maybe? Anyhow, once I get enough strategic points a rematch is on!
Timbo
Timbo
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  System Commander Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:24 am

Yeah, chaos definitely has the most unique and cool formations, at least I think so.

I would of started work on one of the big Khorne ones, like the Banelord or something.. but he rages like a Dread. Mind you, you still get your round of firing at the enemy, he jsut to use a round of firing back at you.

If I was going to build anything though, it would definitely be the Tower of Skulls.
System Commander
System Commander
System Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down