Hunters of The Warp
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Strategic Scenario Discussion

3 posters

Go down

Strategic Scenario Discussion Empty Strategic Scenario Discussion

Post  System Commander Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:23 pm

So, I'm in the process still of getting sceanrios up and running for strategic games. My format currently is to have a 6x6 grid, offering up 36 scenarios. Some of course might repeat until we can get ourselves 36 different sceanrios.

So, the way I have organized so far is like this. You roll a dice for the tens and ones on a 6x6 grid. Standard book sceanrios will take up the one slot for 10's. 2's, 3's and 4's will be created scenarios, with a few overlap from the book. 5's will be scenarios using the Cities of Death rules, and 6's will be scenarios following the Planetstrike rules. I have a Cities of Death book I can bring each week, and I'll be picking the Planetstrike book as well. I might talk to Darren about getting a store copy of each to be left at the den as well.

That's the basics right now. The only other thing I have is all 6's rolled on the ones dice will result in a game based on Kill points. I'm not a huge Kill point fan, but I think its still important to include them in regular gameplay, so I think 1/6 will be fine. So, if you roll 16 for example.. you"ll be a Dawn of War mission using the Annhilation rules. If you roll a 56, it will be a Cities of Death scenario (havinet figured out types yet) but your objectives will be Kill points.

I'd like to get some more discussion about scenarios going, as well as a thread for some more ideas. So far ben has been the only one to offer up some more ideas.

System Commander
System Commander
System Commander
System Commander

Back to top Go down

Strategic Scenario Discussion Empty Re: Strategic Scenario Discussion

Post  Veyure Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:38 pm

This system seems like it will be good. I've never played cities of death before so it would be nice to try some of that out. Planetstrike is sounding like it will be pretty good so that is also a nice way to include it.
As for alternate ideas i have none. i would have just suggested using the suppliments as you already have thought of.
Veyure
Veyure
Inquisitor

Back to top Go down

Post  System Commander Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:58 pm

Cities of Death sceanrios are alot of fun.. in a way they are alot likeApcalypse games in that you can each take a couple of strategems. They are less powerfulll then the Apoc assests, but can still be alot of fun.

The only problem with Cities games is that they came out before 5th edition, so we'd have to tweak them a bit. For example.. a scoring unit in Cities was any unit that was at 25% or above the starting size, as opposed to 50% at the time in 4th edition. Now that 5th is out and only troops are scoring, Id hgave to take a look at the book and see if it can be adjusted easily enough. I think it can.. but Ill have to check.
System Commander
System Commander
System Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  gluvzer Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:49 pm

After reading the new WD, I don't know if using planet strike rule will work for the league. From what I understood the missions and defender realy rely on specific types of terrain. The terrain at the den is great, but I don't think it can accomodate planet strike missions where you have multiple defence bastions and multiple gun emplacements. I think one could definately set-up these games with some specialized terrain, but having one randomized 5 min before playing at the den might not work out well. But maybe we'll have to wait and see what the book says. This is just what I got from reading the article and battle rep.
gluvzer
gluvzer
Lord of Titan/Hero of ToonCon/Ayatollah of Rock n' Rolla
Lord of Titan/Hero of ToonCon/Ayatollah of Rock n' Rolla

Back to top Go down

Post  Veyure Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:50 pm

I played a citifight game yesterday and it was fun. Tons fo terrain and it plays much like a regular game, other than the assets which really don't affect the game too much. being able to destroy buildings is kinda cool though.

I have to agree with Ryan about the planetstrike. thinking about it now, it does require more intact buildings including bunkers and such.

Even with just standard missions and those of cityfight it will be a lot of options.
Veyure
Veyure
Inquisitor

Back to top Go down

Post  System Commander Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:35 pm

Yeah, good points for sure. A random game for Planetstrike would be really tough to set-up. On top of what Ryan mentioned regarding specific terrain, the force organization also changes depending who is the attacker/defender and which sceanrio your playing... so you really need to kow ahead of time unless you have no problem bring two different armies with you.

I think what will happen for regular league sceanrios is the same thing we've done in the past. You can use the chart to roll a random game, or you can pick one ahead of time if your opponent agrees on it. If you do roll a Planetstirke game randomly, you can always just re-roll to something else.

So, if you both want to play a Planetstrike game, you'll be able to jsut make arrangements ahead of time, deterine forces depending if your attacker/defender and then try to make sure you have enough proper terrain.

I think what I'll do to encourage the extra effort the games take is to offer bonus points for palying a Planetstrike game.
System Commander
System Commander
System Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down