Hunters of The Warp
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tom's Tohaa Painting Log

3 posters

Go down

Tom's Tohaa Painting Log Empty Tom's Tohaa Painting Log

Post  Aegwymourn Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:54 pm

So I've started painting my dubers. Totally different ball game than 40k painting. Doesn't help that I am terribly rusty. Thankfully I have a spare Kamael I started to practice on (box comes with 4 all the lists I made max out at 2-3 of them). Today I've spent working on one of the actual Kamael troopers I plan to use. Once I post up some pictures I do some more typing on how I did what and would love some critique. Smile
Aegwymourn
Aegwymourn
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Tom's Tohaa Painting Log Empty Re: Tom's Tohaa Painting Log

Post  Aegwymourn Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:43 pm

So here is what I managed to get accomplished over a couple of hours today.

Tom's Tohaa Painting Log Imagejpg1_zps200963ca

Tom's Tohaa Painting Log Imagejpg6_zps3ace4812

Tom's Tohaa Painting Log Imagejpg2_zpsfe7df45f

Tom's Tohaa Painting Log Imagejpg3_zps5af9e18d

First off ignore the fact that the gun and the head are both "shiny" as all hell. I hardcoat anything I'm considering done as I finish it so I don't accidentally rub it off as I hold on to the model. With metal figs I know how easy it is to smudge or rub off the paint as you handle the model. It will disappear once I do my varnish coat from my airbrush as the end.

So on to things I am happy about. I like the nice bluish effect I have on all the metal paneling. I did a fairly decent job of staying "in the lines" on the little strips of leather all over the place. I'm mostly please with the face and very happy with the "hair" color.

Things I'm not so happy about. I dunno if the drybrushed grey weapon is doing it for me, but was at a bit of a lack for what else to paint it. I also have no clue what color to paint all the little buckles. Every piece of brown leather has at least one buckle attached to it. Whatever color I do that in I will probably use on the "belt" piece in the front as well.

I also obviously have to do the knife and gun in holster as well. Although until I decide if I like the rifle I don't want to work on them.

After that I think I just have to do some line tidy work and then the base!
Aegwymourn
Aegwymourn
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Paz Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:50 pm

Loving that metallic blue armor! The green is a bit strong, I might tone it down a bit with beiges and lighter green tones.
The gun can be easily spiced up with some glowinf blue light sources!

Have you decided on what color and look the symbiont armor on your bigger guys is gunna be?

Really glad you're going with blue and greens, that way jordan and your tohaa will stand out from each other!
Paz
Paz
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Aegwymourn Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:50 am

Well I didn't want to do a "traditional" color scheme Razz.

I don't think the green is as bad as it looks, the hardcoat tends to flatten the colors out and darkened it the first layer of green I did. Also I don't thing the lighting is flattering at all, however didn't have my phone handy and just snapped them with the ipad quickly and turned my desk lamp towards the model.

Any thoughts on all the buckles?
Aegwymourn
Aegwymourn
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Aegwymourn Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:47 pm

So yesterday I managed to more or less finish my Sakiel in a similar way to my Kamael. I was really happy to get "done" with a model in one sitting. I will post some pictures up tonight when I get home. I think the only bit I really wish had come out better were the grenades. For some reason I thought they should be a color that would stand out and picked up orange for some reason and went with that. Other than that I would like to go back and do some work on the helmet since it is just a big blob of blue (do the "cheeks" that are typically the same color as the symbiont armor and do the eyes maybe?)

Two down eight to go!
Aegwymourn
Aegwymourn
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Aegwymourn Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:40 pm

Couple of images of the Sakiel.

Tom's Tohaa Painting Log Tom1007_zps6a3de578

Tom's Tohaa Painting Log Tom1003_zpsa23438b4

Tom's Tohaa Painting Log Tom1006_zps5328ed21

Tom's Tohaa Painting Log Tom1010_zps71be8c5f

So what do you guys think so far?
Aegwymourn
Aegwymourn
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Spamus Eatus Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:47 pm

Looks good to me! I might toss some brown wash onto those grenades and the pistol holster to bring out some extra detail, but that's all I can think of at the moment.
Spamus Eatus
Spamus Eatus
Inquisitor Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Aegwymourn Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:53 pm

Yea the pistol/holster didn't turn out particularly well. I tried washing the grenades once already and didn't seem to help. Overall I just don't know if I like the colour clashing as much as it does. I couldn't think of what else to do for the holster. The pistol I'd probably leave since the guns are all black/grey. For now I'm calling it good, just going to touch up the base. Once I'm done I might come back and do some more.

Next up a Gao-Tarsos!
Aegwymourn
Aegwymourn
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down