Hunters of The Warp
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

And they shall know no fear...

2 posters

Go down

And they shall know no fear... Empty And they shall know no fear...

Post  Guest Sun Nov 02, 2008 5:32 pm

Here's another head-scratcher for people....

ATSKNF states when rallying: "Usually, troops that regroup cannot move normally and are counted as moving, but these restrictions do not apply [to bearers of this rule]."

Single quotes below being my interpretation...

I do believe everyone will concede the 'not moving, allowing the immediate firing of heavy weapons after the 3' regroup move" interpretation. However, there may be a point of contestation here: 'These restriction do not apply, thus you get a 3" regroup move AND your normal 6" move'. Following the discussion on Bolter and Chainsword... there's two interpretations.

1. ATSKNF replaces the rally move, instead allowing normal movement (which if you couldn't maintain unit consistency means you automatically have to move), but the lawyering doesn't lend itself to this.

2. ATSKNF simply removes the movement limitation and procedes as i described above. 3" rally with 6" movement.

Personally I'm leaning towards the second option, not just because it's nice ( 1 step backwards and 3 steps forward) but because of the wording presented about the regrouping rules.

"If the unit successfully passes its Leadership test, it stops falling back and regroups. The unit can immediately move up to 3"..."
"Once the unit has regrouped, it cannot otherwise move during that Movement phase, but otherwise it behaves as normal..."

The wording of ATSKNF seems to directly address the second statement.

Thoughts?

Back to top Go down

And they shall know no fear... Empty Re: And they shall know no fear...

Post  System Commander Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:43 am

I read the rule this morning I will definitely agree they've changed the wording from last edition. ATSKNF used to allow just a 3" regroup, but fire heavy weapons as they didn't move. The new rule definitely make sit sound like they are allowed to regroup automatically, take a 3" move and then can act normally for the rest of the round.

So, first round some berserkers assault, win combat and the marines fall back voltuntarily, let's say the full 12". Berserkers move 3" towards them. On their turn, the regroup 3" away so are 12" away again, regular move 6" away and then run let's say for another 6". With one fall back, at the end of their next turn they can be up to 18" away from the assaulting unit. Wow, thats some fast moving.

Assault armies are going to have to be very, very careful about firing guns at marines again. 1 or 2 accidental casualities and those marines could be breaking for the board only to regroup 12" away.

As it stands though, it's tough to argue against it even as ugly as it sounds. And so the voluntary fallback problems being anew... again.. Smile
System Commander
System Commander
System Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Lord_Commander_Stash Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:23 pm

When 3rd edition first came out they errated this to take out the 3" movement because it was too abusable. It looks to be true in this case aswell.
Lord_Commander_Stash
Lord_Commander_Stash
Grandmaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down