Hunters of The Warp
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Winnipeg Astro Army

4 posters

Go down

Winnipeg Astro Army Empty Winnipeg Astro Army

Post  Aegwymourn Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:54 pm

So as I work on my army for Winnipeg Astro I'll be posting my progress here! It is an Iyanden army based around the contents of the army deal Darren had at the den. So far I have managed to get two coats of Averlund Sunset on everything after putting it all together.

Winnipeg Astro Army 071_zpsff56db93

Winnipeg Astro Army 073_zps55b1a1ca

I have had good success mixing my own paints in my airbrush after getting a couple of tips online for mixing paint and getting my hands on some thinning medium. It makes a huge difference for how easily and smoothly the paint is applied. It especially helps with the splatter effect you get sometimes due to the paint having a different density when just mixed with water.

Tomorrow night I am going to try and get a coat of Yriel Yellow I have pre-mixed. Hopefully by using a downward angle I can do my shading mostly with this step. I also will be mixing up some Flash Gitz Yellow for the final airbrush highlight. Hopefully that will just take me till Wednesday or Thursday night.
Aegwymourn
Aegwymourn
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Winnipeg Astro Army Empty Re: Winnipeg Astro Army

Post  Aegwymourn Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:19 pm

I got my next to layers of Yellow (one of yriel yellow and one with flash gitz yellow) done with the airbrush! Next on to black weapons.

Unfortunately you can't see the extra two layers very well. =(  I swear they are there!

Winnipeg Astro Army IMG_20140320_195156_zpsa1f63e8f

Winnipeg Astro Army IMG_20140320_195147_zpsf647be18
Aegwymourn
Aegwymourn
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Aegwymourn Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:59 pm

So got a bit more work done this weekend. Got all the weapons hit with a coat of black and started blocking out all the sections I want blue (using abbodon/kantor respectivly). Technically everything has 3 colors now so it is legal, haha! Going to have to hit the black stuff again since I know the coat is a little rough and not opaque in places. For the blue all I got done was the front portion of the wraith helms. Hopefully by Wednesday I'll have all the blue done and then I'll be doing all the weapons/vents in a bronze/copper mettalic. What do you guys think would look better?

Winnipeg Astro Army Phonepics009_zps19a0cabe
Aegwymourn
Aegwymourn
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Aegwymourn Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:43 pm

Got more blocking out with blue done. The basics of everything blue should be on now. I will proabably have to do a second coat on a lot of it, not to mention all the detail work. But it keeps on looking better!

Winnipeg Astro Army 004_zps40eadba6

Winnipeg Astro Army 003_zps8b39e8bf

Winnipeg Astro Army 002_zps0a540945

Winnipeg Astro Army 001_zps239d3609
Aegwymourn
Aegwymourn
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Aengeal Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:56 am

Looking really good!
Aengeal
Aengeal
Sage

Back to top Go down

Post  Planes Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:02 pm

Very yellow.

Hard to get a read on how well the yellow turned out in the photos with the lighting and all. We should probably hobble together some white photo boxes one of these days.
Planes
Planes
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Aegwymourn Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:09 pm

Thanks!

After tonight they should look a lot spiffier. I am planning doing all the vents/axes/engines in Bronze tonight and working up a paint for the bases. Since I was dumb and based everything before I painted the bases you can still see yellow/black peeking through the rubble and a wash layer doesn't cover it. So time for some paint+water+thinning medium! I'm hoping that should take care of it. Otherwise I'll have to chip all the basing off  Embarassed 
Aegwymourn
Aegwymourn
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Aegwymourn Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:10 pm

Planes wrote:Very yellow.

Hard to get a read on how well the yellow turned out in the photos with the lighting and all.  We should probably hobble together some white photo boxes one of these days.

I am actually really happy with the yellow. From a distance it looks like the yellow I want and if you get close you can see the two highlighted layers.
Aegwymourn
Aegwymourn
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  GingerBalls Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:16 pm

Lookin' like some sexy Eldar my man.
GingerBalls
GingerBalls
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down