Hunters of The Warp
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

9 point orks boys, with a 5 plus invul worth it?

+5
System Commander
Aegwymourn
Lore Weaver
Termagant
Gulsnick
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

9 point orks boys, with a 5 plus invul worth it? Empty 9 point orks boys, with a 5 plus invul worth it?

Post  Gulsnick Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:35 pm

Just saw that in a dread mob ork list i can get a boyz unit with with a 5 + invul for 9 pts a model.
doe anyone thing that is worth it? mabye in a truck boy unit?
Gulsnick
Gulsnick
Crusader

Back to top Go down

9 point orks boys, with a 5 plus invul worth it? Empty Re: 9 point orks boys, with a 5 plus invul worth it?

Post  Termagant Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:12 am

In one word: no.

If they have an enhanced stat line, then it becomes worth it. Otherwise, just stay in cover and save your points.

Termagant
Grandmaster

Back to top Go down

9 point orks boys, with a 5 plus invul worth it? Empty Re: 9 point orks boys, with a 5 plus invul worth it?

Post  Lore Weaver Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:30 am

Gulsnick wrote: Just saw that in a dread mob ork list i can get a boyz unit with with a 5 + invul for 9 pts a model.
doe anyone thing that is worth it? mabye in a truck boy unit?

It'd be worth play testing. I enjoy a unit of 'Ard boys in a trukk, these would serve a similar role, for 1 pt cheaper.
Lore Weaver
Lore Weaver
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Aegwymourn Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:04 am

I would also point out that now that "ignores cover" is a fairly serious thing invul saves are significantly better now. Is it worth that many more points? Couldn't tell ya.
Aegwymourn
Aegwymourn
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  System Commander Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:08 am

Invul saves are more important.. possessed and warp talons.. here we come!!

Hmm.. just a sec.
System Commander
System Commander
System Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  System Commander Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:11 am

I miss those possessed.. Sad
System Commander
System Commander
System Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Aegwymourn Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:11 am

Well their problem is obviously that they still die to bolters like regular marines. And their cost for dying like marines.  Razz 
Aegwymourn
Aegwymourn
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Lore Weaver Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:51 pm

System Commander wrote:I miss those possessed.. Sad

I was looking at getting a box of Posessed dudes today. *almost* $40 isn't bad, the models are nifty. Darren has both the new and old ones too.

It's a fun little unit with a Mark of Tzeentch. 3+/4++ with Fleet. Toss a couple gifts on the champ (for funzies) and infiltrate them up (Ahriman), should get a turn 2 charge (if they don't die)
Lore Weaver
Lore Weaver
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Gulsnick Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:00 pm

Lore Weaver wrote:
System Commander wrote:I miss those possessed.. Sad

I was looking at getting a box of Posessed dudes today.  *almost*  $40 isn't bad, the models are nifty.  Darren has both the new and old ones too.

It's a fun little unit with a Mark of Tzeentch.  3+/4++ with Fleet.  Toss a couple gifts on the champ (for funzies) and infiltrate them up (Ahriman), should get a turn 2 charge (if they don't die)

they are deamons to , so you can book them right?
Gulsnick
Gulsnick
Crusader

Back to top Go down

Post  System Commander Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:04 pm

The next game i play i might bring them along.
I played beau with a huron list a few months back.. i really enjoyed it.

If i did it again id also bring a big ol unit of termies in a raider to infiltrate.. that sounds lkke a alot of fun for some reason.

I dont know if i could handle termies and possessed in one list though.
System Commander
System Commander
System Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Aegwymourn Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:11 pm

System Commander wrote:
If i did it again id also bring a big ol  unit of termies in a raider to infiltrate..

Oh chaos land raiders and only being able to hold 5 terminators
Aegwymourn
Aegwymourn
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Lore Weaver Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:30 pm

Possessed are S5 with two attacks base! 175 pts for 5 with a MoT and two gifts. Pricey. Give 'me a rhino, infiltrate them up and deploy them behind the rhino!
Lore Weaver
Lore Weaver
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Rhaevyn Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:59 pm

so 210 points for 5 wounds? with a 3+4+ and a rhino for LoS blocking...and they still die to any dedicated combat unit/dude/MC/lasgun fire?
Rhaevyn
Rhaevyn
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  System Commander Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:20 pm

You betcha.. and my possessed like to fail armour saves alllllll day long. 5 wounds 5 dead. They like to remind me why they arent allowed to play.

Useless !

Even though Chaos raiders are only 10 bodies.. dozer blades and dirge casters for 5 pts. each are pretty spectacular.
System Commander
System Commander
System Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Aegwymourn Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:32 pm

System Commander wrote:Even though Chaos raiders are only 10 bodies.. dozer blades and dirge casters for 5 pts. each are pretty spectacular.

I was more poking fun that you said a big unit.  Razz 

I will admit I am totally envious of dirge casters and dozer blades. I can't count the number of times I've immobilized my Raider turn 1. And now you lose a hullpoint just to add insult to injury.
Aegwymourn
Aegwymourn
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Lore Weaver Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:22 am

I opted for 5 Raptros with 2 melta guns.

Comically, I fielded my Mutilators against Dan last night and they folded on the first turn (even after infiltrating). Two multimelta's to the face and failed 4+ invuls killed the first two. 3 Bolter wounds and a pair of 1's on saves killed the last one. Possessed are like 26pts a guy.

Raptors are cheap. 5 Raptors with 2 melta guns is 115 pts. If I give the champ a combi melta (or other combi) it's 125 pts. Cheap and effective off the deepstrike.
Lore Weaver
Lore Weaver
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Aegwymourn Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:33 am

I don't think its that people don't like raptors/think they are worth it. I think they just see spawn/helldrakes and focus on that.
Aegwymourn
Aegwymourn
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Rhaevyn Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:11 pm

Not scoring, no accurate deep strike. hard to justify in a contested slot.

bikes arguably better in almost every way unless you like to roll the dice with deepstrikes.

As Tom said, Slot is contesting Heldrake > Spawn > bikes > Raptors.

Also. non scoring marines with champ tax and all the negatives of Champion of Chaos on top of paying marine prices for marines without Leadership mitigation.

cut the champion, give them Hit and run and i'll take them every game.

Rhaevyn
Rhaevyn
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Gulsnick Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:53 pm

Rhaevyn wrote:Not scoring, no accurate deep strike.  hard to justify in a contested slot.

bikes arguably better in almost every way unless you like to roll the dice with deepstrikes.

As Tom said, Slot is contesting  Heldrake > Spawn > bikes > Raptors.  

Also. non scoring marines with champ tax and all the negatives of Champion of Chaos on top of paying marine prices for marines without Leadership mitigation.

cut the champion, give them Hit and run and i'll take them every game.

make them elites and i will take them every game , they are good just not as good as the other choices in FA slots
Gulsnick
Gulsnick
Crusader

Back to top Go down

Post  Lore Weaver Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:54 pm

I'm a fan of having them come in off the deep-strike, ya. That's my plan with them.

Going back to the original point of the thread, the lack of invul save is concerning, a bit.

-- 125 points for 3 alpha-strike meltaguns seems good to me. Once they're on the board, they can't be ignored too, relieves the pressure from other points on the list. We'll see how they play out. The Elites slot definitely doesn't get contested, which Possessed certainly have going for them.

meme gen "All the other elites choices also suck || So I have that going for me"
Lore Weaver
Lore Weaver
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Gulsnick Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:36 pm

Lore Weaver wrote:I'm a fan of having them come in off the deep-strike, ya.  That's my plan with them.

Going back to the original point of the thread, the lack of invul save is concerning, a bit.

--  125 points for 3 alpha-strike meltaguns seems good to me.  Once they're on the board, they can't be ignored too, relieves the pressure from other points on the list.  We'll see how they play out.  The Elites slot definitely doesn't get contested, which Possessed certainly have going for them.

meme gen "All the other elites choices also suck || So I have that going for me"

actualy the original point of the tread was are 3 pts a model worth it on reg ork boys for an invul save Smile
Gulsnick
Gulsnick
Crusader

Back to top Go down

Post  Lore Weaver Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:59 pm

Gulsnick wrote:
Lore Weaver wrote:I'm a fan of having them come in off the deep-strike, ya.  That's my plan with them.

--  125 points for 3 alpha-strike meltaguns seems good to me.  Once they're on the board, they can't be ignored too, relieves the pressure from other points on the list.  We'll see how they play out.  The Elites slot definitely doesn't get contested, which Possessed certainly have going for them.

actualy the original point of the tread was are 3 pts a model worth it on reg ork boys for an invul save Smile

If I could pay 3 pts / model for a 5+ invul on the Raptors, I'd be all over it. Sadly, it's 2pts for a 6+
Lore Weaver
Lore Weaver
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Rhaevyn Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:57 pm

Gulsnick wrote:

moar boyz. the math doesn't work outfor regular ork boyz. if it was going to be cost effective it would have to be 2 points a model. 5+ save is only going to save the model 1/3 of the time, so should cost no more than 1/3 the price of a boy.

Spend the points on more boyz and get the weight of numbers(more attacks/shots) instead of trying to keep a lesser number alive.
Rhaevyn
Rhaevyn
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Lore Weaver Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:09 pm

That argument implies that Mark of Tzeentch (6+) is worth while on CSM (2pts vs 13pts) as it saves them 1/6th of the time and is < 1/6th the cost.
Lore Weaver
Lore Weaver
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Planes Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:12 pm

AND it lets you take the banner of "neener-neener, you're on fire"!
Planes
Planes
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next