Hunters of The Warp
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tyranid Psychic Powers

+6
miv305
Rhaevyn
Aegwymourn
Roland
judchic
Lore Weaver
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Tyranid Psychic Powers Empty Tyranid Psychic Powers

Post  Lore Weaver Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:58 am

Primaris - Dominion
Warp Charge 1
Blessing that targets the psyker, adds 6" to his synapse.

1. Catalyst - Warp Charge 1
Blessing that targets the Psyker's unit and up to one other friendly unit from Codex:Tyranids that's within 12".  They get FNP while the power's on, Yo.

2. The Horror - Warp Charge 1
A Malediction w\ 24" range, must immediately take a pinning test with an -2 LD modifier

3. Onslaught - Warp Charge 1
Blessing that targets a unit in 24", gets Eldar Battlefocus.

4. Paroxysm - Warp Charge 1
Malediction w\ 24". -D3 WS/BS

5. Psychic Scream - Warp Charge 1
*nova* with a 6" range.  For each unit (no roll to hit required...) roll 2D6+2 - Their LD and they take that many wounds, no armour or cover.

6. Warp Blast - Warp Charge 2
Witchfire, one of two profiles, S10 AP2 lance 18", or S5 AP3 blast 24".
Lore Weaver
Lore Weaver
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Tyranid Psychic Powers Empty Re: Tyranid Psychic Powers

Post  judchic Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:06 am

Good to know they aren't all absurdly terrible. Catalyst is better. Why is warp blast mastery 2...
judchic
judchic
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Roland Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:31 am

judchic wrote:Good to know they aren't all absurdly terrible. Catalyst is better. Why is warp blast mastery 2...

I'd guess because either is absurdly good. The lance will almost guarantee a pen, and the other is an AP3 blast. It's like likea swiss army knife.
Roland
Roland
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Aegwymourn Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:03 am

Meh I'm 50/50 on them

Catalyst is the only power that improved any, but since it is random now... I can end up not getting one with the entire army.

The horror is interesting, but a lot of good units are fearless/stubborn these days.

If Onslaught allows assault after running it will be awesome, otherwise I didn't know 'Nids were a shooting army?  Razz 

Paroxysm is neat, but again has to be rolled for so sometimes it'll be good, other times it will be worthless (- bs to orks oh boy!)

Psychic scream in interesting , but 6" nova isn't that big against a lot of armies. And unless flyrants get way more durable I don't see it being that good (again not being able to choose powers so when my tervigon ends up with it, yay! /sarcasm)

Warp blast still suffers from before. First you have to pass a psychic check, then you have to hit (since it's a witchfire), then your opponent has to not deny (or have a runepriest), then you have to successfully pen/wound, then your opponent has to fail saving throws. There are just so many steps to go wrong.

They are not the worst powers, but a step to curbing the power of Tau/Eldar, not a great start.
Aegwymourn
Aegwymourn
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Rhaevyn Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:16 am

I'de imagine your not going to be taking psykers unless you want Dominion.
Paying the 25-50 point premium per level to end up with a random power you may or may not use? meh.
Rhaevyn
Rhaevyn
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Aegwymourn Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:17 am

Rhaevyn wrote:I'de imagine your not going to be taking psykers unless you want Dominion.
Paying the 25-50 point premium per level to end up with a random power you may or may not use? meh.

And I hate to keep bringing it up, but compared to Div/Telepathy/(even Biomancy for 'Nids), not very good.
Aegwymourn
Aegwymourn
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Rhaevyn Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:21 am

yep. nothing is going to hold a candle to those powers as long as Div is so strong and reliable.

and biomancy seems tailor made for Nids, i'm not sure why they needed to mess with that.
Rhaevyn
Rhaevyn
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  judchic Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:23 am

Roland wrote:
judchic wrote:Good to know they aren't all absurdly terrible. Catalyst is better. Why is warp blast mastery 2...

I'd guess because either is absurdly good. The lance will almost guarantee a pen, and the other is an AP3 blast. It's like likea swiss army knife.

"absurdly good". unless it now hits and ignores deny the witch its far from that.
roll to cast power, roll to hit, roll deny, roll to pen. that's a lot of rolls to mess up.
sorry to be bitter but the rumors for the book are leaving me with more frustration than anything.

oh and reading the power cards:
"Warhammer 40,000 Psychic Cards: Tyranids is the complete set of 7 Psychic cards available to Tyranid collectors. As they are the psychic powers from Codex: Tyranids, they can be used in conjunction with Psychic Disciplines, which can be found in the Warhammer 40,000 Rulebook. "

sounds like they still have BRB powers
judchic
judchic
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  miv305 Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:28 am

Are people actually complaining that you now have to roll for powers? Every book in 6th has had that, I would have been shocked if it wasn't the case...keep in mind that the new powers will be combined with the new monsters (and new points levels), I have yet to see anything that makes me think tyranids won't be better off with their new book.
miv305
miv305
Crusader

Back to top Go down

Post  Guardian Angel Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:32 am

I HOPE this is a false rumour....

I read that certain units (Hive Tyrant was the example) can only roll for powers from the Tyranid list.

Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel
Grandmaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Lore Weaver Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:34 am

I think the valid complaint is that their Primaris is arguably worse than Smite/Assail.
Lore Weaver
Lore Weaver
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Aegwymourn Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:39 am

miv305 wrote:Are people actually complaining that you now have to roll for powers?  Every book in 6th has had that, I would have been shocked if it wasn't the case...keep in mind that the new powers will be combined with the new monsters (and new points levels), I have yet to see anything that makes me think tyranids won't be better off with their new book.

It is less "I have to roll for powers" and more "the powers in the BRB are better for my army than the specific ones out of my codex". Especially for something like 'Nids where their powers should be crazy different than the standard fare.

I agree that we have to see the codex to be sure, but unless stuff radically changes I know my current build took a big hit not guaranteeing catalyst on my tervigon, and 4 chances for it on biomancy with the Swarmlord. I already had issues with durability on MC, now that I might have no FNP, yikes.
Aegwymourn
Aegwymourn
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Planes Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:40 am

I recall that there was an old rumor kicking around out there that certain beasties might have a locked power off of the tyranid psychic table, like Broodlords automatically getting Parox and the like. If there is any truth to this, a model with locked Catalyst would probably be a must-take.
Planes
Planes
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Lore Weaver Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:55 am

Guardian Angel wrote:I HOPE this is a false rumour....

I read that certain units (Hive Tyrant was the example) can only roll for powers from the Tyranid list.

That's what people with the book are saying, but they are people... I'm chalking it up to literacy issues... would be horrible if they didn't have Biomancy. (or Telepathy, or Telekinesis (telkine dome would be cool with a bunch of gaunts))
====
Lore Weaver
Lore Weaver
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Aegwymourn Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:22 pm

The problem with telekinesis is that you have run a lot of psykers to get the 1-2 good powers. Or get horribly lucky like somebody who gets fortune every game *cough cheater app* *cough cough*  Razz 

But indeed. On some models it makes sense (the broodlord), on others sadface.
Aegwymourn
Aegwymourn
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Guardian Angel Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:05 pm

If you look @ the GW website today....on the White Dwarf Blog part it has some photos.  One is the genestealer entry (with points values covered)....the Broodlord automatically gets "The Horror".  

As for the Tyranid powers only things, I am hoping that they just misread the psychic power entry.....but I would not be surprised if for some reason, they did not get the standard tables.

Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel
Grandmaster

Back to top Go down

Post  miv305 Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:55 am

Everything I've read so far states that they have to use the Tyranid powers and don't have access to the BRB ones. As far as people having their current lists powered down, again I have to ask why on earth would you expect anything else? GW has rolled that way for as long as I can remember, i.e. units go up and down each edition. Wait till IG gets its new book and Manticores and Vendetta's get neutered but Russ' and w/e new tank they get will be great. People who've played IG for a long time will be happy since they can use stuff they haven't in a while but all the recent converts will freak.

To me it looks like Tyranids seem to be going the swarm way, everything got cheaper (some considerably so), and will likely go the drown-you-in-bodies route. It makes sense from a fluff perspective, and more importantly it means people have to BUY MORE MODELS.

There's a good article on BoLS titled "The Sky Isn't Falling", it quotes a number of things about an upcoming codex release, then reveals the fact that the quotes are from a week before Tau came out. Those of you that were around at that time may recall that everyone was complaining that it was going to suck too (Broadsides are only str 8 WTFBBQ GW!!!), same goes for Necrons, when they were first released it got middling scores, which in hindsight was an absolute joke...
miv305
miv305
Crusader

Back to top Go down

Post  Guardian Angel Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:28 pm

I agree. GW has a lot to gain by pushing Nids towards the swarm route, as it sells more models. Therefore, more $$$ coming in.

As well, changing up the "awesome models" helps in the same way. Think about it this way...

Current codex armies consist of A, B, & C. Everyone making an army included A, B, & C in there army.

New codex drops....now X, Y, & Z are awesome, but no one has any cause A, B & C were always the way to go prior. Therefore, "everyone" goes an buys X, Y, & Z, and more $$$ comes in.

It really comes down to, if your old army still works in the new codex, GW wont make any $$$ off you.
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel
Grandmaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Lore Weaver Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:32 pm

Deathleaper drops a characters LD by D3, could be instrumental in shutting down Screamerstar // Jetseer (Kills Fortune & Forewarning, especially with Shadows of the Warp)
Lore Weaver
Lore Weaver
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Aegwymourn Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:33 pm

I'll give you that one that each cycle GW messes with the power scale of the current "meta" for the codex.

The problem I am currently seeing (and yes I am reserving judgement till the actual codex releases) is that the rumors it don't fix any of the problems that the current codex has. Meanwhile the one good build 'Nids had is now invalid. Without spores/doom there isn't a way to disrupt your opponent in the first turn or two (don't say flyrants each time mine has done that job he has died a horrible death, its not hard to kill a t6/w4/3+save MC these days). So then you are back to shooting MC fish in a barrel to remove synapse which (again from rumors) is going to harsher to units than before. Sure it looks like you might be able to bring another 1-3 MC depending on points reductions, which still don't appear to have access to invulnerable saves (and cover is not reliable anymore) and which most competitive codecii are very good at killing. Units that were rubbish (pyrovors/venomthropes/warriors) appear to still be that way. Units that were overcosted saw a price decrease, but without a delivery system still don't look any better than the Trygon already is. A lot of the neat weapons 'Nids had seem to be rather blah now (bone swords are ap3? great) and it doesn't appear that they stack for bonuses like they used to.

I'm not saying the sky is falling, but people who were really pumped up to see 'Nids at the level of Tau/Eldar are concerned since none of the rumors are really "good" for combating the worst parts of 6th edition (no assault off outflank/deepstrike and overwatch and new psychic awesome for armies). So when people see that they go on the internet and whine which tends to bring out the worst in people.

Aegwymourn
Aegwymourn
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Aegwymourn Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:36 pm

Lore Weaver wrote:Deathleaper drops a characters LD by D3, could be instrumental in shutting down Screamerstar // Jetseer  (Kills Fortune & Forewarning, especially with Shadows of the Warp)

He would have to be much cheaper/better. I regret taking him to the 1500 highlander tournament. I don't believe he did one worthwhile thing in any of my 3 games. Sure if you happen to play one of those lists he could be worth his weight in gold. The rest of the time he was an incredibly expensive lictor who got shot in the face the second he showed up.

Although reducing LD on tzeentch models doesn't impact them nearly as much as you might think. With a -4 from the improved aegis Dallas still made something like 80% of his psychic checks since it really is only -1.
Aegwymourn
Aegwymourn
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Paz Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:42 pm

I couldn't be more excited for the nids, just for all the cool big gribblies one can take. 
I've always had a love affair with the tyrannofex, even before the model came out, would love to run two with an exocrine, tyrant covered in tyrant guard, just a pile of huge chitinous tanks. Pacific rim style.
Paz
Paz
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Planes Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:46 pm

If nothing else, I'm looking forward to a sudden abundance of Nid bits from dual build kits, both in trades and eBay. Mmm... conversions...
Planes
Planes
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  System Commander Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:25 pm

It would suck a bit if you only had to choose from the nid list. Some powers are pretty decent.. but that primaris seems really blech.

I like the idea of everything going down in cost.. but some slots and choices seem weird.. like some of the named characters being hq..one eye and deathleaper? Thats a rough choice to give up a tyrant or other big gibblet.

I havent seem this yet.. but did anyone confirm if nids can ally with themselves?
System Commander
System Commander
System Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Guardian Angel Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:50 am

A bit slow on the reply, but I did not see anything about the Nids being able to ally with themselves like the Space Marines.

My hope is that they might do a "Black Legion like" supplement where you get a specific Hive Fleet that can ally with the basic codex.
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel
Grandmaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next