Hunters of The Warp
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Whiskey & 40K | Tournament Discussion

+11
Roland
Planes
GingerBalls
miv305
judchic
Paz
Guardian Angel
System Commander
Rhaevyn
dusktiger
Lore Weaver
15 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Whiskey & 40K | Tournament Discussion - Page 2 Empty Re: Whiskey & 40K | Tournament Discussion

Post  Aegwymourn Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:26 pm

Well Screamers are fairly mobile (they are jetbikes so move 12 and turbo boost what 18?). But the rest of the list is also mobile (usually fateweaver and a flying demon prince or two). There are a lot of lists that simply cannot deal with that many FMC + screamerstar. They also put out a fairly large number of shots from their tzeentch powers.

Some of the top tier lists (jetseer/Tau/Eldar/T'6R'US) can handle it. A lot of mid tier lists struggle because not only do you have to have enough skyfire to deal with the FMC, the screamerstar runs around being a jerk.

Also adequate psychic defense can be a huge hurdle for some armies (as Mike B. found out).
Aegwymourn
Aegwymourn
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Whiskey & 40K | Tournament Discussion - Page 2 Empty Re: Whiskey & 40K | Tournament Discussion

Post  Lore Weaver Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:06 pm

Aegwymourn wrote:Also adequate psychic defense can be a huge hurdle for some armies (as Mike B. found out).

That was true for all 3 of my opponents. Had I faced Randy, shadows of the warp would've shut me down hard.
Lore Weaver
Lore Weaver
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Aegwymourn Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:18 pm

Lore Weaver wrote:
Aegwymourn wrote:Also adequate psychic defense can be a huge hurdle for some armies (as Mike B. found out).

That was true for all 3 of my opponents.  Had I faced Randy, shadows of the warp would've shut me down hard.

Shadows ins't that bad for you since it'd have to be on something very mobile to do it. For my 'Nids I had the Flyrant. I don't think Randy would have had anything quick enough to put shadows on you turn 1/2 before you started blasting. I think you were also very lucky to get perfect timing as many times as you did. Tom could have held out a lot longer if he had cover saves.

I still think it was a bit of a mistake to give Tzeentch access to Divination on everything. I could see Fateweaver and maybe the Blue Scirbes having it, but just for general heralds to have it is silly.
Aegwymourn
Aegwymourn
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Planes Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:24 pm

There is a reason I'm looking to re-implement the 4+/6+ psychic defence for my Crons.
Planes
Planes
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  System Commander Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:36 pm

Someones going to have to bave a unit on the future that disables blessings on a unit.. wolves are a good candidate.

Collars of Khorne would be nice to bave back.. 2+save against psychic attacks.. dont mind if i do !! 4+ on the dogs/karanak are still decent. Taking the 5+ on a khorne herald seems like such a waste over hatred.

At least Kharne still hates those pesky psykers.. too bad he cant get rid of the blessings though..
System Commander
System Commander
System Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Aegwymourn Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:44 pm

System Commander wrote:Someones going to have to bave a unit on the future that disables blessings on a unit.. wolves are a good candidate.

Collars of Khorne would be nice to bave back.. 2+save against psychic attacks.. dont mind if i do !! 4+ on the dogs/karanak are still decent. Taking the 5+ on a khorne herald seems like such a waste over hatred.

At least Kharne still hates those pesky psykers.. too bad he cant get rid of the blessings though..

Well the shitty thing is that removing blessings/maladictions should be part of the core mechanic like they are in Fantasy (at least the last time I played). Instead of casting some of your spells during your turn you could dispel your opponents "remains in play" spells. Right now it is like they added half a psychic phase back into the game and dropped the ball on the other half like a bunch of dummies.

edit: Although right now a lot of the more powerful armies have a way to shut down offensive powers. Screamerstar is a lot less powerful when they have to use melee attacks to do anything.
Aegwymourn
Aegwymourn
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Gulsnick Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:03 pm

Lore Weaver wrote:Jessie's right, but, remember the chances of failing 3 attempts at 2+ are close to 50%.  

The dude using the book can't benefit from the book.  If a Herald books his own unit, he doesn't get the bonus.  Also, the book is only "good" if Kairos is around to re-roll the result.

If the dude books the screamer star, Kill Kairos.  Kairos is really really squishy.  He's only T5.  Ground him with bolter fire.

If he books Kairos, he didn't book the screamers.

In short, kill other things.

===

There's a few other tricks to sniping out the herald too.  
  1)  Barrage weapons centered on his head.  That's a lot of Look out Sir rolls, and the poor schlub is only T3 with 2 wounds.
  2)  -- you can't Line of Sight snipe, unless it's with a 4+ ruin and dude didn't turbo boost (as they all jink) --  (Who'd've thought a 5+ cover save was broken when you had a 4++ save, eh?)
 3) As Dallas said, if dude places his model badly, you can snip him out.

Dallas played that screamerstar against me once and nearly lost.  I tied it up in combat with a Wraithknight, which effectively nullified it.

===

Jetseer is a different beast.  It relies on dudes making psychic tests on an 8 or less, but if dude fortune's and conceals then
1) As Tau, you can spend two markerlights to ignore cover, then open up with your S8 AP2 riptide blast of blastyness.
2) Assault it with AP2 close combat things
3) Runepriest
4) Spontaneous combustion (focused witchfire, inflicts a wound with no cover or armour)
5) Snipe out the dude with protect (is he even a character?  I can't remember if they're characters when in the big unit..., otherwise he's 4+ LoS with a 4++/re-roll do to fortune)

Not sure if this works but if you misfortune the unit he rerolls all sucessful saves and can't reroll those if it fails
Gulsnick
Gulsnick
Crusader

Back to top Go down

Post  Planes Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:22 pm

With talk of rune blades and all that, you would think Jaws would be a good response to Screamer star and their ilk, too. Snipe out the buff bringers that way.
Planes
Planes
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2