Hunters of The Warp
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Darksfear's Riptide

+7
Rhaevyn
System Commander
Paz
Planes
miv305
Lore Weaver
Darksfear
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Darksfear's Riptide Empty Darksfear's Riptide

Post  Darksfear Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:32 am

So I've been pretty drained of time so far this month so I don't really have anything special to try. I do have to do a riptide up for the highlander tourney though so I can at least kill two birds with one stone. Almost finished assembling it (just gotta finish magnetizing the gun and putting its drones together. Painting will hopefully start sometime this week, though how far along I get before this competition ends is up in the air.
Darksfear
Darksfear
Crusader

Back to top Go down

Darksfear's Riptide Empty Re: Darksfear's Riptide

Post  Lore Weaver Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:13 am

Downside with drones on the riptide, if one dies, the riptide can run away.
Lore Weaver
Lore Weaver
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Darksfear Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:31 am

I have a sinister plot that requires the drones in order to work.
Darksfear
Darksfear
Crusader

Back to top Go down

Post  miv305 Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:53 am

A sinister plot involving joining IC's to a Riptide "unit" (say what?)!? Maybe some sort of HQ option that gives the Riptide ignore cover and twin-linked if the HQ doesn't shoot??? My goodness, you have solved the riddle of how to win a 40k game using Tau, and in such an original way...

Maybe someone else can play the innovative, fresh Tzeentch Daemon list that (wait for it!) uses multiple psykers in a unit to become almost invulnerable! Your fun, exciting and orignal 1000 pt units could battle it out in a tourney that everyone else was looking forward too because the format tries to discourage these silly lists, but hey you'll take home Best General (booyah!!!).

Maybe this thread isn't the place for this conversation but c'mon man, play a game without a cheesy deathstar for a change. Try a new approach, use units found in the "Troops" section of your book, experiment a bit, it's a fluffy Highlander tourney, not 'Ard Boyz Sad

Just my 2 cents (which as we all know is now rounded down to zero).
miv305
miv305
Crusader

Back to top Go down

Post  Planes Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:34 pm

I, for one, don't mind seeing multiple Riptides being built/converted/painted in the same competition. Besides, any super unit has it's counters. Exile tech (Necrons, Wolves, etc) shuts down "wall-o-saves", melee destroys anything Tau (even if it has twin linked, ignores cover), buff spam can be surpressed (wolves, again). Besides, a large death star can only hold a single objective, and in a tournament with 12 objectives spread over 3 missions, that is significant.

Oh, and magnets. +2 pts.
Planes
Planes
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Lore Weaver Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:28 pm

Tyson,

From a strategy point of view, it's only a matter of time before you lose a game to a lack of scoring units and an expensive deathstar not being able to absorb or earn it's points back.

I *almost* managed to do that to you in that necron game :-) *almost*, but that's the sort of thing you need to watch.

That style of list only works for baby-seal-clubbing *laughs*
Lore Weaver
Lore Weaver
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Darksfear Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:50 pm

...stunned silence. Seriously? That's really funny. Somebody else decides for me what my sinister plot is and everybody else responds as if it is fact. Thanks Miv, you made my day. Btw, my Farsight Enclave lists are in no way shape or form going to include the MSS or the CCN so... ya. If you can believe it I can actually play the tau race without the silly wargear. I was only doing it for like 5 years before this new 6th Ed tau came out with them in the first place. Blame me if you want for wanting to get some play out of the new goodies the league after my codex is reprinted, fine. But it would be a serious mistake to believe that I depend on those things to win.

For anybody wondering what my ACTUAL sinister plot is, its to take O'vesa and attach him (drones and all) to a crisis unit (which is troops in the Farsight Enclaves) and use him to bump the squad up to toughness 6 in order to have a super tanky point scorer with some decent long ranged punch. (oh no, a 450 point troops unit, whatever will you do Miv? Razz )

As for some actual blog news, I just spent last night reworking my riptides head because I seriously hate how they did it with the standard model. Hoping it turns out nice as I had no actual heads to use at the time so I cobbled it together from a horde of spare bits.

*Edit* Oh and I just thought I would ask you Miv, cause rereading your post, you don't make any sense. How would adding drones to a riptide in any way shape or form add to the attached independent character strategy? Independent characters can attach to anything that has the OPTION of having multiple mdoels in its squad. You wouldn't need to actually take the drones to pull it off.

It may also help if you get your facts straight. Aside from the deathstar, my tourney list was all troop choices. Its Elites, Fast Attacks, and Heavy support I need to learn to take lol.
Darksfear
Darksfear
Crusader

Back to top Go down

Post  Paz Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:09 pm

Interested to see how it comes out!

Quick question, how does he make crisis suits t6?
Paz
Paz
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Darksfear Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:11 pm

Because he comes with 2 drones and attaches to a 3 man crisis unit the majority toughness is tied with 6 and 4, so the unit becomes 6.
Darksfear
Darksfear
Crusader

Back to top Go down

Post  Lore Weaver Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:01 pm

Still, if you lose the two drones, that's a test.

O'vesa is good though.
Lore Weaver
Lore Weaver
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Darksfear Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:12 pm

That's the sad truth about playing tau though. Because of the typically smaller units paired with absolutely no source of fearless there isn't any way of really getting around leadership tests.
Darksfear
Darksfear
Crusader

Back to top Go down

Post  Planes Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:18 pm

That reminds me, that death blob you ran in the play-offs, did it have a fearless source in it? I never caused enough wounds to invoke it, just curious.
Planes
Planes
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  System Commander Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:31 pm

Khornes wrath from warpstorm table took out two crisis suits of tom/adams big crisis/farseer unit and ran off the table at the doubles tourney.

I remember years ago... on the first turn i drove up a squad of three bikers .. shot it at the crisis suit commander who had a few drones with.him and watched him.leap his 3d6 off the table.. thats a crappy thing to have happen on the first shot of the game.
System Commander
System Commander
System Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Lore Weaver Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:50 pm

Planes wrote:That reminds me, that death blob you ran in the play-offs, did it have a fearless source in it?  I never caused enough wounds to invoke it, just curious.
Wraithblades are fearless.
Lore Weaver
Lore Weaver
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Planes Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:52 pm

Ah, good, then I don't have to bemoan not taking the 10pt Ooga-booga-booga upgrade.
Planes
Planes
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Lore Weaver Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:55 pm

Darksfear wrote:That's the sad truth about playing tau though. Because of the typically smaller units paired with absolutely no source of fearless there isn't any way of really getting around leadership tests.
That's the crappy thing about playing it in a tournament. Over the course of 18 game turns, it's going to happen. In a one-of game, no issue. Especially if we run a 6-round event. That's why you don't see lists like this win major events.

That's a game losing die-roll.
Lore Weaver
Lore Weaver
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Rhaevyn Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:39 pm

i don't know if its just me. but it seems that every second thread here lately is attacking someone's list/personality/pants.

Not defending anyone specifically, just the general attitude. this isn't a message board with anonymous people in a video game, its real people we meet and see sometimes on a weekly basis. I can go over to 4chan or reddit if i want to see drama.

In any case, people with shit lists or personalities will run out of opponents at some point one would assume. I know that the few games i get to play in a season lately will be against folks i can have a good time with.

And at tournaments, well, they are tournaments, and i expect you bring as much Janky crap as you can. Just don't be a dick about it.
Rhaevyn
Rhaevyn
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Planes Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:49 pm

Less drama, moar progress pictures! I wish to see this Riptide!
Planes
Planes
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  miv305 Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:50 pm

Darksfear wrote:

*Edit* Oh and I just thought I would ask you Miv, cause rereading your post, you don't make any sense. How would adding drones to a riptide in any way shape or form add to the attached independent character strategy? Independent characters can attach to anything that has the OPTION of having multiple mdoels in its squad. You wouldn't need to actually take the drones to pull it off.

It may also help if you get your facts straight. Aside from the deathstar, my tourney list was all troop choices. Its Elites, Fast Attacks, and Heavy support I need to learn to take lol.
Wow, imagine you using some obscure little rules interpretation to puff yourself up, never gone that route before eh champ  (drone controllers make me shoot at BS5 against fliers, I swear!)?  You really showed me!!

The best part is you try and justify to the world that you're not being cheesy, then five seconds later you detail your super fun-times idea to make a unit of troops T6 by attaching an HQ Riptide...but of course powerful character combos (shadowsun and farsight are buds yo!) are the only way you can make 40k interesting right?

To be fair, It's not your fault GW makes loose enough rules that allow this, but it IS your fault that you take advantage of something so absurd.  You've alienated yourself from a significant portion of the local 40k community by playing that way, which is too bad because it's obvious you really do enjoy the hobby.  I know you'll say that you could care less about not playing against certain folks, and I'm sure I made that list a long time ago, but man, just admit that you like bending things till they almost break.

Again, this is just my outlook, take it to heart or don't...
miv305
miv305
Crusader

Back to top Go down

Post  HiveMindRuik Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:10 am

and the troll returns.....
HiveMindRuik
HiveMindRuik
Assassin

Back to top Go down

Post  Darksfear Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:14 am

Alright Miv, I'm gonna have to shut you down now. If you want to make a general forum thread to badmouth me for no significant reason, feel free. I have been associated with this league far too long for anybody to magically change their opinions about me because you decide to make a single post. Those who like playing me will continue to do so, those who don't want to play me will continue to do so. That being said...

GET THE HELL OUT OF MY MODELING THREAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I gave you a pass the first time, despite the fact that your response to a simple vague sentence is absolutely INSANE. You obviously just want to pick a fight at this point. This has stopped being a difference in opinion and you have just flat out started being rude. I challenge you to explain to me what I have done to deserve your reaction, specifically at this point in time (since everything you feel like bringing to the table is old baggage) and IN MY BLOG THREAD!!! Its like you just want to get my submission thread locked out so you can feel good about yourself for sabotaging a player you don't like. Learn some damn common courtesy and bring any issues you have up in the appropriate place at the appropriate time. I will not be discussing this with you anymore in this thread.

As for everybody who meanders here to actually see some modeling progress, heres what I got so far.
Darksfear's Riptide 20131020

Darksfear
Darksfear
Crusader

Back to top Go down

Post  Paz Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:30 am

I'm trying to figure out what his head looks like, hard to tell from this pic.

Can you post a different angle, like a 3/4's view?
Paz
Paz
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Darksfear Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:21 am

I was in a hurry tonight, but tomorrow evening I'll put up some more headshots.
Darksfear
Darksfear
Crusader

Back to top Go down

Post  miv305 Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:40 am

@Tyson - you're right, this wan't the right place to have this conversation, maybe you were just being a bit tongue-in-cheek and I jumped the gun a bit, but like you alluded to, we've had issue in the past and old habits die hard. I also have never had any intention of getting a thread locked, that's actually the opposite of my goal, I was trying to get some discourse about not letting lists, combos, etc. get out of hand, but again, I picked the wrong thread for it.

Now about that Riptide...like Paz mentioned, it may be worth getting an angled shot because the conversion work you've done gets a little lost in the picture. It's a little hard to tell how you've gone about modeling the neck area, if it's too thin you may have it breaking on you too much, which would obviously suck. If you've pinned it or it's glued to a much larger area then feel free to tell me to shutup Smile

miv305
miv305
Crusader

Back to top Go down

Post  Roland Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:14 am

Head reminds me of frenzy from the transformers live action movie.
Roland
Roland
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next