Hunters of The Warp
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sci Fi movie discussion

+2
Paz
System Commander
6 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Sci Fi movie discussion Empty Sci Fi movie discussion

Post  System Commander Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:54 pm

This is a simple thread, just talk about what Sci-fi movies are your favorite. They don't have to be related to 40k, but just Sci-fi in general and we can skip the original Star Wars, everyone loves those.

I have quite a few favorites that are set in the modern day, but with the science fiction element. Movies like Predator and Terminator (T2 more than T1, but both are great) are easily in my top ten list.

Some of my favorites that take place on earth but in the future are Total Recall (yes, what can I say, I'm a big Arnie fan), Robocop, and Matrix. I was blown away by the Matrix the first time I watched it, primarily because I hadn't seen a single preview or new anything about it.

Then there are the ones that take place far out in space... I loved Serenity the first time I watched it, and I had never seen a single Firefly episode. Aliens of course is Sci-fi, but borderline horror and also awesome. While on the Sci-fi horror thread, one can make an argument for what I believe to be the best horror movie ever made, The Thing.

Now, all of these are pretty mainstream movies though that most people have seen. I'm curious to see if anyone has some rare gems or reccomendations for movies the group might not have seen.

I'm also authorizing a full flame on challenge. If someone listed a movie you think is crap, tell us!

For a couple of my more obscure choices, I'm putting the Soldier and Buckaroo Banzai out there. I've watched the Soldier about 6 times or so and like it everytime. I'm sure alot of you will have seen it, with Kurt Russel as a primitive type of Space marine. He has less then a dozen lines and kills lots of stuff. Buckaroo is an 80's Peter Weller flick that follows around an adventuring group called the Hong Kong Cavaliers (who are also a rock band) while they battle a bunch of alien like dudes who are infiltrating earth from the 6th dimension. It's goofy as hell, but I think the reason I like it so much is that while this crazy stiuff is going on, the Hong Kong cavaliers just take it in stride. There are quite a few big names in it like John Lithgow, Christopher Lloyd, Jeff Goldblum.

So, what do you guys got for discussion?

System Commander
System Commander
System Commander
System Commander

Back to top Go down

Sci Fi movie discussion Empty Re: Sci Fi movie discussion

Post  Paz Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:58 pm

Equilibrium. Top notch christian bale futuristic dystopian gunfighting! It doesn't get much better than that.
I personally really liked minority report. I like those sci fi movies that concentrate on stories only slightly in the future. good stuff. Outland with sean connery was really good. The older less clean sci fi. But Chronicles or Riddick was by far one of the most fun sci fi movies Ive ever seen.
Paz
Paz
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  gluvzer Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:07 pm

Two Words: ICE PIRATES.

Starring Robert Ulrich and featuring a bunch of thrown together misfit fighting robots in space.
gluvzer
gluvzer
Lord of Titan/Hero of ToonCon/Ayatollah of Rock n' Rolla

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:42 pm

Glover: It's Robert Urich! Don't disrespect the man like that!

Robyn: Did you know that the script for "Big trouble in little china" was originally a sequel to Buckaroo Banzai?

For me my favorite Sci Fi movies are from all over the place. Zardoz will always have a soft spot in my heart... "The Gun is good, the Penis is Evil!", Dark City was da Bomb, I endorse all Robyn's pics, and Ice pirates is great. I like Pitch Black, one of my all time favorites, but Chronicles of Riddick made me want to punch my brain.

Godzilla is good in any form, so long as it wasn't made in English.

It's been getting harder and harder to find good sci-fi lately. TV has been doing a good job with Galactica and I even enjoyed the Terminator shows, but theater wise I am hard pressed to talk about a show I could call Sci-Fi that sticks out as good recently. I think episodes I-III sort of crapped in my brain and may have taken a little out of the genre for me. Too much Ghosts of Mars and crap like that.
ScottRadom
ScottRadom
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  System Commander Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:47 pm

Definitely some good calls with Equilibrium and Outland. I'm going on the record as saying I like more Tom Cruise movies than I dislike. Although I'd have to do a recalculation .. his recent movies have been pure crap.

I've seen Ice Pirates a few times over the years, and it seems to me it gets a bit worse every time I see it. I usually wait long enough though to trick my brain into thinking it's a great flick. Smile For some reason, I can never remember what the story is about, except they are looking for water and some little creature eats a giant turkey or something.. hehe. That's the right one isn't it? I want to say I should watch it again, but Ice Pirates and Mega Force seem to always catch me.

System Commander
System Commander
System Commander
System Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  System Commander Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:54 pm

ScottRadom wrote:Robyn: Did you know that the script for "Big trouble in little china" was originally a sequel to Buckaroo Banzai?

Zardoz will always have a soft spot in my heart... "The Gun is good, the Penis is Evil!", Dark City was da Bomb, I endorse all Robyn's pics, and Ice pirates is great.

Nope, I had no idea Big Trouble was a proposed sequel. In one way, it would of been nice to see that as a sequel, but on the other hand.. Big Trouble is a work of art and I wouldn't want to see it changed.

Memories of Zardoz hurts my brain, but Dark City was definitely cool, especially right at the very end. I didn't "mind" the Riddick movies, but I liked the character Riddick more than anything.

One thing I forgot was Doomsday. It was kind of bonkers, but man was it gory. I was expecting a horrible movie but I have to say it was definitely enjoyable. Nice and simple and blood everywhere.

I just remembered another great movie that might of slipped past some people, No Escape with Ray Liotta. Great, great movie.

System Commander
System Commander
System Commander
System Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  gluvzer Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:02 pm

I was pleasantly surprised by Doomsday as well. Probably because I was watching it with the lowest of expectations. I don't think I have ever seen that many exploding or squishing heads in a movie ever.

Do we count The Road Warrior as a Sci Fi movie. If we do, It gets my vote as best, I usually try to watch it as many times as I can.

We are also forgetting Blade Runner. Harrison Ford is DA BOMB!
gluvzer
gluvzer

Back to top Go down

Post  System Commander Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:13 pm

If Road Warrior counts as Sci fi it's of course at the top my list to. I think it usually gets slapped into the action category at the movie stores though, but probably an argument for both. Despite the category, it's one of the best movies ever.

System Commander
System Commander
System Commander
System Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:03 pm

I'm not a hater of Road Warrior, but I do think it deserves mention more as an innovator of a genre that was never able to live up to that movie, rather than a fantastic movie. I like it, to be sure, but I do think it's a little overated. My favorite part about watching the movie lately is when the gyro captain flys over the compound and you get to see a sort of birds eye view of the place. Man, the back door to the compound is JUST BARBED WIRE! The Humongous is an idiot! With all those cars and bikes nobody took a look around back? Just keep launching an assault into the flame thrower I guess. We'll get them soon, my dogs of war...

And what a jerk off weapon a flame thrower is in that world anyway. That's like the most "Baller" show off weapon in a world without gasoline. Just rub their faces in it, "we have so MUCH gas, we actually have decided to light it on fire and shoot it at you." Like choking poor people with 100$ bills. I also love that one of those guys had to work at SportMart Australia and when the economy started to collapse he totally raided the compound bows and football pads (Do they even use those in Australia?).

But on to other movies I overlooked

Cloverfield, I liked the Nines, The Abyss, but mostly it's hard to pick out the good ones. We should talk about bad movies, then I can really get going.
ScottRadom
ScottRadom
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  System Commander Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:34 am

Bad movies, might as well start with Cloverfield then.. ugh, that was not a good movie.

The people in the compound didn't really want ALL that gas, they had to protect it to get them to their wonderland. They had all they needed to do it, and with the excess they would use it for some extra fire power. They didn't have much of an advantage, but the one they did have was the gas .. and what can you really do for weaponry with some extra gas... flame throwers and molotov's!. Perfectly logical to me.. they had nothing else do with all that extra juice. I'll have to do some more investigation on the back entrance thing.

I think it's easily one of the greatest films ever made and have no problem putting it in the same category as the greats. The movie's premise is simple enough, but also brutal and cruel enough to be believeable. Society breaks down, everyone turns into animals. If their was a nuclear war and Canada stiopped making gas, I can gurantee you I'd be shaving my head and looking for a pair of speedos and a metal facemask right away! I will say this though, I was about 10 or so when I saw it for the first time, and even back then it bothered me when they did the whole barbarian fire dance scene. They were zipping around doing spin outs. I was thinking, ok, they dont have much gas, why do they keep doing those damn spin-outs. Thats the only thing that's ever seemed off to me, but it's pretty minor. Maybe the future vehicles were very, very fuel efficient.

Hmm, some bad sci-fi flicks? I really wanted I, Robot to be good but for me it never comes up as being memorable. I don't know if I would say it was bad, after all Will Smith had a cyber arm.. that's cool.. but it definitely missed the mark on alot of stuff.

System Commander
System Commander
System Commander
System Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:13 am

I liked Coverfield a lot, it had everything I needed to call it a succesful monster movie and more.

-guy going back to rescue a girlfriend or cat or something even in the face of a horrible monster, check.
-cool looking monster, check
-dude firing a shoulder mounted rocket at a monster that he has to know is not going to do anything, check.

I love Asimov and was dissapointed that I, robot was a bit of a turd. I do not hate Will Smith but he is in a bunch of crap movies that usually are not his fault.

Good movies, I liked 12 Monkeys, Brazil (does that one countÉ).
ScottRadom
ScottRadom
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  gluvzer Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:33 am

Twelve Monkey's was fantastic. I thought the Willis and the Pit were both great in that one. Another Willis one, The fifth Element. A little to colourful and showy for me but had all the elements (get it?).

How about Event Horizon? I actually enjoyed that one. Haven't seen it in 10 yrs though.

Going back, Robyn how can you say such awful things about Ice Pirates. It does have Space Herpes you know.
gluvzer
gluvzer

Back to top Go down

Post  System Commander Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:36 am

Space Herpies.. thats was I was thinking of... hehe. See, in my mind right now I'm remembering it as being good, but 10 years ago I was thinking the same thing when I picked it up.. and I remember it being bad.

Tell you what, I'll watch Ice Pirates again if you watch Megaforce.
System Commander
System Commander
System Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  gluvzer Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:42 am

System Commander wrote:Space Herpies.. thats was I was thinking of... hehe. See, in my mind right now I'm remembering it as being good, but 10 years ago I was thinking the same thing when I picked it up.. and I remember it being bad.

Tell you what, I'll watch Ice Pirates again if you watch Megaforce.

Deal, I'll get you my DVD copy as soon as we next see each other.
gluvzer
gluvzer

Back to top Go down

Post  System Commander Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:47 am

Now, I'll have to try and track down a copy of Megaforce.. I'm sure most copies have been burnt by their owners.. Smile

I do have a copy of Fist of the Northstar, best anime ever created, although Ninja Scroll gives it a good run for it's money.

I'll start looking for Megaforce now. Prepare to enjoy some cardboard covered dune buggies from the future!
System Commander
System Commander
System Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  gluvzer Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:51 am

My brain isn't working. Whats the movie with the Swayzie train in it. It's were he helps protect the space farm from bandits. I own it but I cant think of the name. I do have to thank Tim Miller for picking out of the bargain bin and give it to me for christmas way back when we were roomates. Scott? Robyn? One of you has to know what I'm talking about.
gluvzer
gluvzer

Back to top Go down

Post  gluvzer Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:53 am

STEEL DAWN!!! I just remembered. Awsome, mainly because of Swayzie.
gluvzer
gluvzer

Back to top Go down

Post  System Commander Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:04 pm

You bet.. I'm not ashamed to admit I own a vhs copy of that as well.

How come no one else is hopping in the Sci-fi movie discussion..
System Commander
System Commander
System Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:56 pm

System Commander wrote:Now, I'll have to try and track down a copy of Megaforce.. I'm sure most copies have been burnt by their owners.. Smile

I do have a copy of Fist of the Northstar, best anime ever created, although Ninja Scroll gives it a good run for it's money.

I'll start looking for Megaforce now. Prepare to enjoy some cardboard covered dune buggies from the future!

If any of you bastards even ATTEMPTS to watch megaforce without me I will learn to ride a motorbike and fly over to your house with a pink smokescreen shooting out from behind me and punch you in the BALLS!

"Deeds, not words".....(Me and Robyn High-Five across the internet!).
ScottRadom
ScottRadom
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  System Commander Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:55 pm

Haha.. ahh yes. And that's a threat I have to believe could happen.
System Commander
System Commander
System Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Aervyper Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:36 pm

First and foremost N#1 SCI FI = 5th Element

Other's of note definately have to be:
Star Wars in all forms
Chronicles of Riddick and Pitch Black for a interesting story
Babylon 5... I did enjoy alot of that series
Aervyper
Aervyper
Sage

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:54 am

While I am with you on Pitch Black and Babylon 5 I still can't get why people enjoyed 5th element. It would be on one of my worst movie lists for sure. I can see how some might be thrilled by the visual aspect of the movie but I have way, way to many other problems with the movie.

-Chris Tucker must die. Painfully.
-That stupid 10 minute scene of the blue chick singing. Luc Besson, hire an editor kid!
-Gary Oldman. We know he's good, so why pay a man to act like a bad actor. They would have been better off paying one of the cast of friends to chew their way through his scenes.
-Luke Perry. Guest star cameos are only cool if they're stars.

And of course the fact that the fifth element was in fact love. Which I just don't accept. I think the fifth element definetly should have been something else. Anything else. And what kind of love is it that these aliens have determined is the cure for evil? Bruce Willis love the chick after about a day and a half? Because of her personality and her charm? Maybe if the alien geniuses wanted to ghet proof about love they should have made their chick ugly, or at least plain, to make sure that homeboy really digs her for her soul and stuff and not just cause she's wicked hot. What happens when Bruce finds out she's really needy? If he kicks her to the curb does the stupid second moon thingy just fire up again and crash into us? Man, too many questions for a 90 minute crap-a-thon.

I think the worst thing about this movie was the context I first watched it in. I had just watched the Proffesional and le Femme Nikita and figured I would go check this out. Basically it was like thinking you'er going to an AC/DC show and finding out it was a lie, and in Fact you will be watching Justin Timberlake bring sexy back for 90 minutes.
ScottRadom
ScottRadom
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  System Commander Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:54 pm

There are some elements of 5th element I liked, and it is a movie that is good to watch if its just on the tv and nothing else good is on, but I definitely wouldn't put it on my top Sci-fi list. For me, 5th element sits around the same level as Demolotion Man.. and its on TV about the same amount of time.

But without going into the same detailed analysis as Scott, it's about in the middle of sci-fi flicks. I became a big Besson fan after Professional (more of a fan of Jean Reno though) and liked Nikita alot, but lost a bit of respect after this one. The Messenger was also a bit to F'd up to enjoy fully.. but the fighting and Trebuchet's scenes make it worth sitting through. I can't remember what else he's done, I think he's written a bunch of stuff though.. Transporter seems to spring to mind.

System Commander
System Commander
System Commander
System Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Administratum Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:16 pm

Two words: Space Truckers!

Administratum
Inquisitor Lord

https://huntersofthewarp.forumakers.com

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:25 pm

LexMechanic wrote:Two words: Space Truckers!

Yeah Boyeeeeeeeeee!

Now we are talking some SENSE!
ScottRadom
ScottRadom
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next