Hunters of The Warp
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Airbrush Paint - Spikey Bits (mini-review)

3 posters

Go down

Airbrush Paint - Spikey Bits (mini-review) Empty Airbrush Paint - Spikey Bits (mini-review)

Post  Aegwymourn Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:45 pm

So the other week I had been staring at my Airbrush and decided to get some paints for it finally. I had briefly tried making/mixing my own from random/gw paints but after almost clogging it decided I should just try getting pre-mixed paints. After a little bit of research I found the newer miniture paints from Spikey Bits. I ordered up a couple of the more common colors I thought I might use. Alas the one I really wanted ( a black for a basecoat) was out of stock. So instead I picked up a grey, white, yellow, a "ghost" tint, and two deeper greens.

After about an hour of goofing around with each of the colors I have to say I am pleased with my purchase. The paints came with the right consistency for using straight out of the bottle (one of the greens was a touch on the thick side but nothing serious). The only color that wasn't close to the bottle was the ghost tint which I thought was a black wash/tint and turned out to be purple.

I will most certainly be ordering more paints from their.
Aegwymourn
Aegwymourn
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Airbrush Paint - Spikey Bits (mini-review) Empty Re: Airbrush Paint - Spikey Bits (mini-review)

Post  Rhaevyn Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:34 am

still happy with these?

my birthday present this year was a shiny badger 105 patriot paintbrush and compressor the wife saw me looking at at michaels like a year ago.
first time i can remember that her memory worked in my favor...
Rhaevyn
Rhaevyn
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Airbrush Paint - Spikey Bits (mini-review) Empty Re: Airbrush Paint - Spikey Bits (mini-review)

Post  Aegwymourn Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:59 am

I have to say that so far I am pleased with 4/5 paints that I have from them. The only thing you have to be careful of that I found is one if the paint is a little thicker than it should be. I have had only one so far out of the 5-6 I have tried have that happen to. Was a bit of a nasty shock though. When you are used to just being able to use straight from the bottle and not paying attention it was a little rough. The only other thing is if you are going to be using one as a base color to have an idea of what it might look like over grey.

The ones I have used with good success: Raven Black; Skull White; Gun Alloy; Lurking Moss (deep green); Flat coat (sealed my Inquisitor character with it and worked really nice)

Only one I am not sold on: Irradiated Yellow. I tried a test model and straight over grey plastic it had a strange hue to it. Was not the yellow I was going for. But that might have been the lighting or just how that paint looks. I am going to try one or two other yellows they have and see.
Aegwymourn
Aegwymourn
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Rhaevyn Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:37 pm

i've found that even with regular paints, yellows never look right unless you base with white first.
Rhaevyn
Rhaevyn
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  System Commander Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:13 pm

Yup.. thats exactly true. You might have to base it white first then yellow. I used to prime everything grey back a l8ng time time ago and a couple colours were always skewed.. yellow especially.
System Commander
System Commander
System Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Aegwymourn Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:18 pm

you guys are probably right, but alas I don't have any more white airbrush paint.
Aegwymourn
Aegwymourn
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Rhaevyn Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:38 pm

Meeplemart in ontario has the Minitaire paints and vallejo model airs for ok prices, and only $9 for freight via canada post.

only took 3 days

had to buy a starter set to get black and white, looks like just about everyone in NA is sold out of those colours in singles.
Rhaevyn
Rhaevyn
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down