Hunters of The Warp
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fellblade Conversion

+3
da bear
Lore Weaver
dusktiger
7 posters

Go down

Fellblade Conversion Empty Fellblade Conversion

Post  dusktiger Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:27 pm

so the bits for my conversion showed up weds night, here's the progress so far:
Fellblade Conversion 00410Fellblade Conversion 00510Fellblade Conversion 00610Fellblade Conversion 00710Fellblade Conversion 00810Fellblade Conversion 00910Fellblade Conversion 01010

the kit came with alot of extra track pieces, mainly because the designer intended for you to remove and extend the front wheels out a half inch. if i wasnt using a pre-built kit to do this conversion, i would have also left off the front headlamp plate to expose the tracks more, but these are glued in really good and i dont want to risk destroying the fronts.

overall, the conversion kit isnt too bad to put together; the tracks didnt come with any instructions so i had to fiddle with them to figure out the best layout. i think i'd make another eventually. or if someone asked, i'd build one for them, maybe make it look more fancy. i'd kinda like to do a fancy dark angel or black templar one.
dusktiger
dusktiger
Lord of Titan

http://dusktigers-den.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Fellblade Conversion Empty Re: Fellblade Conversion

Post  Lore Weaver Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:44 am

I really like the purple on the small models you've painted... but on the tank it's a bit.... off. I dunno. Can you stick a blue-red wash on it or something or weather it more? It's too... uniformly purple. Although, I've also had about 9 drinks at this point soo.... ya. Maybe I'm wrong.
Lore Weaver
Lore Weaver
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  da bear Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:49 am

No I think your right mark its alittle to in your face if you catch what I'm saying but maybe once he gets it all finished the metal parts might off set the purple enough
da bear
da bear
Grandmaster

Back to top Go down

Post  dusktiger Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:29 am

oh definitely; the purples not even close to done. i used army painter's purple primer just because its faster. after seeing FW finally release some more pics of how they would paint the EC, i'm going to add more gold trim, and pick out a few panels to be white, and a few to be black as well since its a vehicle.

all the guns im thinking of a black casing with metal accents.
most/all of those metal plates on the sloped area the turret rests on will prolly become black.
the spots with the brass logos i might do white, and then repaint the brass a gold so its not so much lighter than the rest of the gold.
i havent decided yet if the tracks will be bare metal, or black metal or a blackened metal.
the metal exhaust tips...im not sure if i wanna do a darkened metal, or a bronze/brass look.

its at the stage now i gotta make all these decisions before i can paint it up.
dusktiger
dusktiger
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Rhaevyn Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:48 am

is it just me or do the army painter primers tend to look a little thick? stuff always seems too gummy. i used the red to do up some orks and the feel is much different than the car primer i used to use or the GW chaos black spray primer.

All i can think of when i look at that is a purple gumby.

Fellblade Conversion 4031004366_aea7764460_z
Rhaevyn
Rhaevyn
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  dusktiger Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:00 am

its the pigment in them. their recipe has a much higher concentration of pigment, which is why they cover so well, but the canned spray does come on alot thicker. i find myself using it in fast short feathering bursts or the paint globs up. thankfully, it does thin out and show all the details once dried. but i still panic a little when i see the paint make details disappear when wet.

i'll post another pic later today showing a little progress on the painting; apart from the armor on the tracks, that entire thing is new basecoated plastic; it used to be a shadowsword kit, so i had to ebay the centre hull of a baneblade kit to go with the conversion kit, as that's what its made for. thats why its so faaaaabulously purple right now. once i get all the details painted up on the centre hull it'll look better. for now though, it's just the raging gay death machine.
dusktiger
dusktiger
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Gain Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:13 pm

Don't ever prime in low light with there stuff. You have to use care with their spray. I couldn't see well and put way to much on one of my hell brutes.
Gain
Gain
Assassin

Back to top Go down

Post  dusktiger Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:47 pm

yea, i switched all my work station lights to those OttLite lamps. the fixture itself is super expensive, usually $80 to $200 just because the bulb is a true daylight bulb, but canadian tire sells the 40 watt type replacement bulbs for $10. i dont think they're the same output as a 40 watt though, closer to 100 watt bulb cause theyre painfully bright if the lamp shines in your face.
dusktiger
dusktiger
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Roland Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:59 pm

Ordinary desk lamps. Max wattage daylight or true color bulb. Profit!
Roland
Roland
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Lore Weaver Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:03 pm

dusktiger wrote:... for now though, it's just the raging gay death machine.

*laughs* -- I shoot my Rainbow T-Shirt cannon at that unit... on a 4+ they parade.
Lore Weaver
Lore Weaver
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  da bear Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:22 pm

Lmao at marks comment
da bear
da bear
Grandmaster

Back to top Go down

Post  dusktiger Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:22 am

so i've done a little more work, moving a few bits around, managed to open the front area without tearing the sides apart. photoshopped some of the colors in to get a rough idea what i plan to do to break up some of the purple.
Fellblade Conversion 9910
dusktiger
dusktiger
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Lore Weaver Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:57 am

Much Better.
Lore Weaver
Lore Weaver
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  dusktiger Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:35 am

now with the paint actually on. still need to do the Kingslayer barrels. should i leave the main turret all purple or do you think it should get an accent color somewhere?
Fellblade Conversion 00412Fellblade Conversion 00512Fellblade Conversion 00612Fellblade Conversion 00712
dusktiger
dusktiger
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Planes Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:11 pm

I think white on the panels that are perpendicular to the "ground" would work well.
Planes
Planes
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  da bear Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:34 pm

I agree with the above
da bear
da bear
Grandmaster

Back to top Go down