Hunters of The Warp
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Seeking Chapter

5 posters

Go down

Seeking Chapter Empty Seeking Chapter

Post  Matthew G Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:01 pm

Hey all, looking for information, help, suggestions, et al

Story:

I play Blood Angels, and have quite a sizable army...

I am looking to bring Allies into my main list, and have chosen Bikers as I have wanted a biker/speeder type army for some time.
I now have 6 Dark Angel Bikers from Vengeance Box, 1 Reg Biker, 1 attack bike, Sammael, Bike Captain (see projects section), and a Storm Talon.

Logically Since I have the Talon, I should be going a Vanilla Chapter, BUT I do have Sammael and 6 Ravenwing Bikers. If I were to play Dark Angels I would still need to paint up the Talon as a member of a Vanilla Chapter (Since Blood Angels also cannot optain a Storm Talon).

Question:

What Chapter should I theme my Vanilla Captain and Storm Talon? I am thinking White Scars, but I am "worried" that white is going to be evil to paint... And Since I am weak Versus 40k fluff I am asking peoples thoughts or suggestions based on historic team ups containing what I own.

Smile

Matthew G
Matthew G
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Seeking Chapter Empty Re: Seeking Chapter

Post  Aegwymourn Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:43 pm

Well any codex chapter maintains a bike division. I suppose the better question to you would be is there a color scheme you would like to go with your blood angels. Lore wise BA work well with just about any other codex chapter.

Edit white sucks to paint.
Aegwymourn
Aegwymourn
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Matthew G Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:01 pm

Started thinking if I could get away just painting it up Dark Angels.. Not Ravenwing, But DA green...
Then Paint up my Captain the same, and use everything as Vanilla Rules if I want to bring the Talon and Bikes together... But that's... I dunno...
Matthew G
Matthew G
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Planes Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:35 pm

Allegedly, DA gets a new Codex January-ish, with their own new flier. If you paint your ST ala DA, you could probably sub it in as that flier until the model comes out.

On the topic of painting with white, I would highly recommend spray/air brushing, it should give you a fairly even coating, and you don't have to worry about residual colors in your brush touching unwanted hues into it. The nice thing about that approach, too, is you can just wait for it to dry and nail it with another coat if the first one didn't give you a bright enough white in the first place.

Another option, if you wanted to keep the flier green, is go Salamanders. Super melta everywhere is always awesome.
Planes
Planes
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  dusktiger Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:06 pm

off the top of my head, if you want a biker influenced army, there's 6 successor chapters to the white scars, but 2 of them only have a name and not colors, and the other was known more for infiltrating and psykers (mantis warriors) so i'll just skip them.
there's the storm lords:
Seeking Chapter 200px-Storm_Lords_Marine
helmet color denotes company.

you can cheat on the white by basecoat spraying white, then cover all the white armor's joints with nuln oil wash and go back and touch up the armor plates with white again once dried. its a fast 3 step process that'll give you nice definition if you want to go that way.

there's also the Rampagers:
Seeking Chapter 200px-Rampagers_Battle-Brother
company color is painted on the left knee, and the squad symbol goes on their right outer calf.

im reluctant to suggest this one since yellow's as hard if not harder color to do well than what white is for many people, but there's also the Marauders:
Seeking Chapter 200px-Marauders_Battle-Brother
GW never defined their marking system past that squad markings are done in black.

if you just want an established GW chapter that looks interesting and no one here's done before, there's these for some ideas:
Iron Fists:
Seeking Chapter 125px-Iron_Fists

iron lords:
Seeking Chapter 125px-Iron_Lords_mini

marines exemplar:
Seeking Chapter 200px-MarinesExemplar

i dont have any pics of it, but a couple years ago i tested the iron lords scheme on a set of bikers and it looked real nice. i had the bike all black with metal edging. you could tie in some red into the bike by painting the rims and/or engine block red too and it would still look good i think.
dusktiger
dusktiger
Lord of Titan

http://dusktigers-den.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Matthew G Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:12 pm

Thanks for the ideas guys!

Whats nuln oil? What would that be closest to in the gw paints?

But i think im just going to paint everything up as dark angels... Then i dont have to worry about having two units as some other chapter, and a chunk as dark angels. And then using the talon as whatever the new flyer will be until a model comes out for it. Then also all my bikes will match...

Go go Ravenwing!
Matthew G
Matthew G
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Aegwymourn Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:32 pm

Nuln oil is the gw black wash.
Aegwymourn
Aegwymourn
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Matthew G Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:19 pm

Simple enough, lol
Matthew G
Matthew G
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Lore Weaver Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:25 pm

I still have the old "Armour Wash" from my 2nd edition days. :-) I hope I never run out :-P
Lore Weaver
Lore Weaver
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  dusktiger Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:34 pm

someone told me that other line at the den has an armour wash that looks similar mark; the P3 i think; their inks and washes are in droppers
dusktiger
dusktiger
Lord of Titan

http://dusktigers-den.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Matthew G Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:11 pm

dusktiger wrote:someone told me that other line at the den has an armour wash that looks similar mark; the P3 i think; their inks and washes are in droppers

I find them a lot more concentrated and have had to super dilute them... I just wish the new GW washes were in droppers...
Matthew G
Matthew G
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down