Hunters of The Warp
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Forge World Models/Rules

+6
Roland
Spamus Eatus
dusktiger
Rhaevyn
da bear
Aegwymourn
10 posters

Go down

Forge World Models/Rules Empty Forge World Models/Rules

Post  Aegwymourn Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:15 pm

I am currently thinking of expanding my Tau army and was considering buying some Forge World Models. However, before I did so I wanted to see if the community had a policy against people using any Forge World rules (either 40k approved or experimental).

p.s. Right now I am considering ordering the Tetras and possibly Remoras.
Aegwymourn
Aegwymourn
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Forge World Models/Rules Empty Re: Forge World Models/Rules

Post  da bear Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:19 pm

That's a touchy subject, lol, but it really depends on the person your about to play, most turnys allow those units. I myself am start an army from one of their books, so I'd say if you want it order it lol
da bear
da bear
Grandmaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Rhaevyn Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:47 pm

curretly you should still ask your opponent if he minds playing vs FW rules/models. and have those rules available for them to read before the game starts.

I'm on the side of anything that has the 40000 stamp should be legal to play in any game of 40k. That being said 99% of tournament organizers (5th edition and backward anyway) tend(ed) to disallow those models based on balance and availability. Since GW has largely abandoned the Tournament scene we cant depend on them to tell us what is "official" either way.

I have to agree with Dan though. If you like it, want to paint it/model it, and perhaps field it. Get them. just be prepared to not be able to field them during the odd tournament and/or the league, depending on how 6th unfolds.
Rhaevyn
Rhaevyn
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  dusktiger Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:13 pm

if you do buy them, there's a fair sized core of gamers here that are pro forge-world, so you'll have players that are willing to play against them. like mike said, if it has the 40,000 stamp on its unit entry, it may as well be another model in that army's codex. and beau's rather accepting of forge world, so long as its the actual model or a close proxy you converted. if you were to place a black reach dreadnought on the table and call it a contemptor dreadnought, he might give you one of these:
Forge World Models/Rules Wtdfx10
dusktiger
dusktiger
Lord of Titan

http://dusktigers-den.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Aegwymourn Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:15 pm

lol. Yea i am going to put together a forge world order when i get my next "allowance". Does the den do forge world orders?
Aegwymourn
Aegwymourn
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Spamus Eatus Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:11 pm

There are two camps regarding FW round these parts I've noticed:

-Use any FW units you want, just keep it sensible for the game (so no apoc stuff for normal size games)
and
-NO FW, IT'S UNBALANCED AND NOT LEGAL!!!!! BLLARRGH YOU'RE NOT HAVING FUN RIGHT!!!

It should be noted that FW has recently FAQ'd their units to bring them in line with 6th, and their flyers are much more usable now than they used to be before.

Here's a hint: I won't name names, but you will find that the old vets of the game who are mostly out to have a good time and toss dice around have no qualms with FW being used. Smile
Spamus Eatus
Spamus Eatus
Inquisitor Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Roland Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:17 pm

Den does not do FW orders. That said we occasionally pool together to get the free shipping.

I find most people do not have an issue with it, even if they don't play it themselves.
Roland
Roland
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Lore Weaver Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:31 pm

Those new Necron things look redonkulous.... Although, I gotta keep expenses down for a bit, box set's the next big one.
Lore Weaver
Lore Weaver
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  dusktiger Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:19 pm

yea, necron killer wasps; that shyt is crazy yo!
dusktiger
dusktiger
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Planes Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:48 am

I guess I have something new to try my Wraiths out as.
Planes
Planes
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  System Commander Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:16 am

I think everyone is fairly accepting of Fw.. as long as its not being abused.

I dont think anyone would argue anything its overpowered.. Just as long as people arent the couple goofy things they do have that happen to be wonky.

Tetras and remoras seem ok to me if im thinking of the right stuff.

System Commander
System Commander
System Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Lore Weaver Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:18 am

I'd hold off on the Tau stuff a bit and see what this "Copperhead" thing is. You could always proxy in some things, if you want, most of us are forgiving of proxy's. Wouldn't fly in a tournament though.
Lore Weaver
Lore Weaver
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  da bear Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:26 am

My best advice for turny play since I am a huge fan of FW both for the looks and game play of their SM units is to make 2 lists one with what you would like to field using your forge world models and another only based on your codex, present both to the judge, and if he allows the FW list then noone can argue against it and if he doesn't think it will be a fair list you always have your back up list ready, I know that may come across as an a-hole move but its worked for me in the past at various turnies that I have gone to both here and out of town.
da bear
da bear
Grandmaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Rhaevyn Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:07 am

sorry i'm reviving this, but i just got my hands on a copy of aeronautica. and i thought i would reprint the working of the 40k stamp here... not that its conclusive.

This unit is intended to be used in 'standard' games of warhammer 40,000, within the usual limitations of codex selection and force organization charts. as with all our models these should be considered 'official', but owing to the fact that they may be unknown to your opponent, its best to make sure they are happy to play a game using Forge World models before you start.

In my mind, that pretty much seals it. as long as my opponent brings a copy of the rules for whichever unit hes planning to bring, i'm happy to play against it.

That being said, i lean more toward using those rules and models that are actually printed in a book and not just the "experimental" rules that they put out with whatever new sculpt they put out this week. That new deimos large blast melta cannon thing being a prime example of WTF?
Rhaevyn
Rhaevyn
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Planes Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:29 am

I got a chance to playtest the Acanthrites last night. They died by turn 2 and the only shot they got off was on Overwatch, but it did wound Mr. Ra. All in all, I'd say they did their job with the volume of fire they soaked, allowing my Warriors to avoid enough early game damage that they never truly died for the rest of the match. That being said, I don't see them as being OMGWTFBBQ good currently, just effective.
Planes
Planes
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  dusktiger Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:41 am

Rhaevyn wrote:sorry i'm reviving this, but i just got my hands on a copy of aeronautica. and i thought i would reprint the working of the 40k stamp here... not that its conclusive.

This unit is intended to be used in 'standard' games of warhammer 40,000, within the usual limitations of codex selection and force organization charts. as with all our models these should be considered 'official', but owing to the fact that they may be unknown to your opponent, its best to make sure they are happy to play a game using Forge World models before you start.

In my mind, that pretty much seals it. as long as my opponent brings a copy of the rules for whichever unit hes planning to bring, i'm happy to play against it.

That being said, i lean more toward using those rules and models that are actually printed in a book and not just the "experimental" rules that they put out with whatever new sculpt they put out this week. That new deimos large blast melta cannon thing being a prime example of WTF?

that's how i read it too; apocalypse 2nd edition has the same thing in the front of the book too.

the magna melta from the caestus being mounted onto the predator is pretty wild eh? lol. i like the fluff for it though; "the admech are miffed the blood angels wont share the baal pattern stc; so they slapped a scaled down magna melta onto a predator and claim it an approved stc pattern. take that blood angels."
dusktiger
dusktiger
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Lord_Commander_Stash Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:53 pm

Mainly some apocalypse stuff is unballanced: there are some strategems which make broken combos (namely many chaos forces). Also Str D weapons such as the Shadow Sword arent very ballanced.

Other than that forge world rules are all over the place. Some rule sets are ok, some are vague and have gaping holes that arent very clear how something works.
Lord_Commander_Stash
Lord_Commander_Stash
Grandmaster

Back to top Go down

Post  System Commander Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:10 pm

I think your still better from when Cams daemon prince outflanked and used a vortex grenade on your warhound.. And caught the front half inch on his toe and destroyed him as a result.

Id of been mad to if that was my titan. luckily itnwasnt and we won the game.

That was your first time using him right?

And.. Nice to see you on the forums again.
System Commander
System Commander
System Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Lord_Commander_Stash Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:27 pm

System Commander wrote:I think your still better from when Cams daemon prince outflanked and used a vortex grenade on your warhound.. And caught the front half inch on his toe and destroyed him as a result.

Id of been mad to if that was my titan. luckily itnwasnt and we won the game.

That was your first time using him right?

And.. Nice to see you on the forums again.

lol that was purely dice rolls.
Lord_Commander_Stash
Lord_Commander_Stash
Grandmaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum