Hunters of The Warp
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Guard for 6 - 2000

2 posters

Go down

Guard for 6 - 2000 Empty Guard for 6 - 2000

Post  Guest Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:43 pm

Using 6th edition to get back into 40k. Might even play some games this time.

Here's what I've cooked up for a Guard list:
HQ
Company Command Squad with: Carapace Armour; 2 Grenade Launchers; Autocannon; and Officer of the Fleet.
Company Command Squad with: Carapace Armour; 2 Grenade Launchers; and Autocannon.

Elite
4 Storm Troopers with: Sergeant; and 2 Melta Guns.
4 Storm Troopers with: Sergeant; and 2 Melta Guns.

Troops
Veteran Squad with: Grenadiers; 3 Plasma Guns; and Lascannon.

Heavy Support
2 Medusae with: Bastion Breachers; and Enclosed Crew Compartments.
Manticore Rocket Launcher
Leman Russ Punisher with: Pask,; and Heavy Bolter Sponsons.

Fortifications
2 Aegis Defense Lines with: Quad Guns.

Forward Sentries would be more useful than Grenadiers. Oh well.

Back to top Go down

Guard for 6 - 2000 Empty Re: Guard for 6 - 2000

Post  Lore Weaver Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:02 pm

Looks nice.

With doubling the Force Org at 2000, I don't see many people actually playing 2000 point games, as it's silly. (Unless playing against 4 surfboards sounds good to people?)

I think you're over-compensating for Flyers, they aren't that scary, there are 6's on the dice. 3 plasma guns have a 42% chance of scoring at least 1 hit, (7% scoring 2, 0.5% scoring 3). Once you hit, you've got a reasonable chance at stopping most flyers. I didn't even count your lascannon in there, which'd have a 17% chance of hitting on its own (and pwn most flyers)

The only thing you'd need to be careful of is being assaulted on turn two or three by jump infantry or beasts. Either of those is going to hurt real bad.

I think the Chimera is still an okay choice, it's got 3 hull points and front armour 12, not the easiest thing to suppress (as glances won't stop your shooting now)

Wouldn't the cool thing be to take near minimum troops and 6 stand-alone Russ's?
Lore Weaver
Lore Weaver
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  gluvzer Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:28 pm

Mark, you think that 2 quad guns is over-compensating for flyers?
gluvzer
gluvzer
Lord of Titan/Hero of ToonCon/Ayatollah of Rock n' Rolla

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:31 pm

I'm not really worried about flyers at all.

The only anti-air I have in the entire list is 2 quad guns at 50 points a piece. Is that really an over-investment? The nice thing about those quad guns is that they shoot Rhinos and Chimeras just as well as flyers.

As to your calculations for the Las/Plas, you aren't factoring in "Bring it Down!" which is about the most useful anti-flyer Order around.

I don't expect to have problems with 2 force org lists, do you really think it can be abused as badly as you seem to imply? A couple of the lists that other people have posted on here in readiness for 6th have been 2000 points, and I don't see any difficulties with them whatsoever. Overloading HQ or Elites is going to leave players desperately short on scoring units.

Back to top Go down

Post  Lore Weaver Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:58 pm

gluvzer wrote:Mark, you think that 2 quad guns is over-compensating for flyers?

At 200 points, yes I do. Why not have a Vendetta that does other things too?
Lore Weaver
Lore Weaver
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  gluvzer Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:04 pm

You're missing the point of having fortified cover for the T3 guardsmen. And 2 quads to boot. Easy theme to tell here.. No vehicles! A Vendetta would eat every high strength shot an oppentent had, even snap fire. Better shooting a Lascannon at a Flyer than maybe killing one guardsman in cover!

Comment on the army, with cover you should be using and the defence lines, I don't think the Grenadier upgrade is worth it I just don't think it will increase your survivability to the cost ratio. Maybe stealth?
gluvzer
gluvzer

Back to top Go down

Post  Lore Weaver Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:11 pm

gluvzer wrote:You're missing the point of having fortified cover for the T3 guardsmen. And 2 quads to boot. Easy theme to tell here.. No vehicles! A Vendetta would eat every high strength shot an oppentent had, even snap fire. Better shooting a Lascannon at a Flyer than maybe killing one guardsman in cover!

Fair enough :-)
Lore Weaver
Lore Weaver
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:10 pm

gluvzer wrote:You're missing the point of having fortified cover for the T3 guardsmen. And 2 quads to boot. Easy theme to tell here.. No vehicles! A Vendetta would eat every high strength shot an oppentent had, even snap fire. Better shooting a Lascannon at a Flyer than maybe killing one guardsman in cover!

Comment on the army, with cover you should be using and the defence lines, I don't think the Grenadier upgrade is worth it I just don't think it will increase your survivability to the cost ratio. Maybe stealth?

Yeah, I know.

I already said that Forward Sentries (Cameleoline Cloaks and Defensive Grenades) would be better than Grenadiers.

The problem is, I hate how weedy normal Guard look, and I already have a ton of Kasrkin and the old Storm Trooper models, both of which I love. So the Kasrkin become the Storm Troopers, and the Storm Troopers become the Vets. They are a little heavily armoured for Flak...

So I am willing to take that hit in optimization just because it fits better with how they look. Also, there are psychic powers that let units ignore cover saves, lots of weapons that do the same, and I won't be able to hide the whole army all the time. So, yes, it's probably points wasted, but not entirely.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down