Hunters of The Warp
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

League Playoffs - Spring/Summer edition

+7
Spamus Eatus
Termagant
Dom.0
Lore Weaver
Roland
Planes
System Commander
11 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

League Playoffs - Spring/Summer edition - Page 2 Empty Re: League Playoffs - Spring/Summer edition

Post  Termagant Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:26 pm

I paid my dues. I will contact Ben now.

Termagant
Grandmaster

Back to top Go down

League Playoffs - Spring/Summer edition - Page 2 Empty Re: League Playoffs - Spring/Summer edition

Post  Planes Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:52 pm

Tom vs Ryan set to happen this Thursday at 1:30. Get there early or be stuck with the nose bleed seats!
Planes
Planes
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Termagant Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:17 pm

I am going to have to forfeit my game in these league playoffs.

I have very little free time this week and even less next week. I can not see myself being to make time for any further games, should I beat Ben.

Robyn, I guess you have a decision. Give Ben a bye or replace me.

Termagant
Grandmaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Spamus Eatus Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:33 pm

Keep me posted of the situation then!
Spamus Eatus
Spamus Eatus
Inquisitor Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Planes Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:48 am

Ryan took the match with a lead of 378 VP. That Landraider just couldn't stop gobbeling up incoming fire! So man rolls of 5 to Pen when I needed 6's to glance.

Guess who's building a Death Ray.
Planes
Planes
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Lore Weaver Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:13 am

Death ray isn't the answer. It about an 18% chance to kill a land raider, and it's a glass cannon.

You need a stalker and twin-linked warrior fire... OR even better, a Surfboard Lord.
Lore Weaver
Lore Weaver
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Roland Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:51 am

He has a stalker, he needs another one:)
Roland
Roland
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Roland Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:57 am

So is this how we are sitting?

Pool Matrix

Ben - Spamus Eatus (1700) (bye) vs. Robyn - System Commander (1760)

Pool Bennet

Mark - Loreweaver (1805) vs. Ryan G - Gluvzer (1715)
Roland
Roland
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  System Commander Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:10 am

Yes.. Exactly. I was just about to tell Ben hed be playing me.

Funny to see an old timers final going down. Not Ryan though.. I think he plays in almost every final game so nothing strange there.. Smile

Grey knights, Dark angels, Necrons and Blood angels or basic marines Ryan?

On a side note.. I am proud of myself.. No psycho grenades!

Last edited by System Commander on Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:26 am; edited 1 time in total
System Commander
System Commander
System Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  System Commander Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:12 am

Tom/ ryan you guys played the first nova mission right? Im sure you.. Im guessing the kill points were within 3.. Objectives tied and you went to VP?
System Commander
System Commander
System Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Roland Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:45 am

Actually....

I downloaded the previous Nova missions (after last finals) and mission one is pure KP within 3....

the more recent one (linked above) says straight VP (have to win by 250 or something) instead. Mark and I played old style, not that it mattered too much:)

Meant to let you know, but things have been hectic on my end.

Edit: Just double checked. Last playoffs used 2011 Open missions. 2010 is linked above.
Roland
Roland
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Lore Weaver Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:51 am

Roland wrote:Actually....

I downloaded the previous Nova missions (after last finals) and mission one is pure KP within 3....

the more recent one (linked above) says straight VP (have to win by 250 or something) instead. Mark and I played old style, not that it mattered too much:)

Meant to let you know, but things have been hectic on my end.

Edit: Just double checked. Last playoffs used 2011 Open missions. 2010 is linked above.

*thought bubble* yep, I gotcha there too. ;-)
Lore Weaver
Lore Weaver
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  System Commander Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:57 am

Oops.. Well no worries . As long as everyone knows which one for round 2 and 3

The main idea behind using the nova missions is making sure you build a list for the three different primary scoring parameters.. So beyind that the actual scenario isnt to important for playoffs purposes.. but at least pkayong something differwmt each time keeps it interesting for the players.

Ill check the links tonight.. But it is the 2010 ones i was looking to use
System Commander
System Commander
System Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Roland Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:11 am

The only way I see that mission REALLY making a diff is extreme cases ; Draigowing vs MSU marines or something along those lines.
Roland
Roland
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Planes Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:16 am

We did the pure VP version. Dawn of War deployment, so Ryan had three turns straight of night fighting. The Stalker got into a Melta duel with the Land Raider and simply lost. Gauss fire and Eldritch Lance spam only managed to Shake it once and Immobilize and destroy it's Multimelta by the end of the game. On the flip side, limited Gauss fire ripped the Las Cannon off of one of his Dread's on turn 2.

In retrospect, though, I should have deployed in the terrain rather than slogging through it. My giant Warrior squad could have gotten a lot more shooting done if the started at the top of that hill.

As for the Doom Scythe, two things: 1) with some simple magnet work I can easily switch it back and forth from Weapon Platform to Troop Transport, and 2) Str 8 vs AV 14 is utter crap, as my dice refuse to roll anything other than 5's to try to pen it when you need a 6 to glance, where Str 10 glances on a 4 and Pen's on a 5-6, and brings the lovely AP 1 along with it. There were SO MANY times in that match where I would have hit 3+ metal boxes with one ray. My Annihilation barge just sat around doing nothing the whole match because it had nothing it could shoot at and hurt prior to it getting deaded, as AV 14 is simply immune to Str 7.

And while I do love the Destroyer Lord, the act of taking him locks you out of a Royal Court, meaning my Deathmarks loose their safe Deep Strike (though they just straight up landed on target both times yesterday). It also means only one instance of the unique Cryptek items, such as the Solar Pulse.

Honestly, though, I'm thinking the biggest thing I need to do for my army is get Scarabs back into it again. They're a threat that moves fast across the board, can tar-pit most anything on foot, and don't give a damn about the AV on the thing they are attacking. Backed by a pair of Spyders, they'll get back up fast enough to not get completely wiped out super quick, save for templates.

Edit -- I also just ran the Math on the Death Ray. It's 19.4....% to blow up the Land Raider, not 18%. :p
I'll take my one in five chance to explode the Land Raider over guns that simply cannot make it to the Pen Chart in the first place any day.
Planes
Planes
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Lore Weaver Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:59 am

Planes wrote:
Edit -- I also just ran the Math on the Death Ray. It's 19.4....% to blow up the Land Raider, not 18%. :p
I'll take my one in five chance to explode the Land Raider over guns that simply cannot make it to the Pen Chart in the first place any day.

Ya, I didn't actually run the math, I just figured 50% of 33% + 16% of 66% and said, "meh, sounds like 18%" :-) It's better than rolling a 6 on a D6 :-)

The nice thing about the Doom Scythe is... it hits 100% of the time, if you get the shot off. The problem is, it *will* die, it's as sturdy as a Rhino or a Razorback. If you can build a threat overload list, it works well (think 3 stalkers, 3 doom scythes, 2 lords w\ Scythes on Barges, 3 MSU Warriors in Arks with Crypteks inside, and Wraiths / Scarabs) then your opponent has too many targets and might have to ignore the Scythes, or if he shoots them down, he's hooped anyway.

Having a one-of Scythe won't be as effective, as your opponent will go, "That one thing will kill 3 of my tanks, so it dies".
Lore Weaver
Lore Weaver
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Roland Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:04 am

Lore Weaver wrote:
If you can build a threat overload list, it works well (think 3 stalkers, 3 doom scythes, 2 lords w\ Scythes on Barges, 3 MSU Warriors in Arks with Crypteks inside, and Wraiths / Scarabs) then your opponent has too many targets and might have to ignore the Scythes, or if he shoots them down, he's hooped anyway.

Someone is writing this downa and emailing Darren, you realize this, right?
Roland
Roland
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  gluvzer Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:32 am

System Commander wrote:
Grey knights, Dark angels, Necrons and Blood angels or basic marines Ryan?

Basic Marines!
gluvzer
gluvzer
Lord of Titan/Hero of ToonCon/Ayatollah of Rock n' Rolla

Back to top Go down

Post  Planes Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:56 am

Your Land Raider was to your army what my giant blob of Warriors was to mine. The biggest difference was that you were smart enough not to shoot at my indestructible mass and I wasn't likewise so inclined.
Planes
Planes
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  gluvzer Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:38 pm

Planes wrote:Your Land Raider was to your army what my giant blob of Warriors was to mine. The biggest difference was that you were smart enough not to shoot at my indestructible mass and I wasn't likewise so inclined.

As I mentioned in our post game discussion, I had no interest whatsover in dealing with 20 warriors in cover with a res orb and 2 attached lords with scythes. I'll ignore that everytime and go for other stuff, which I felt was more threatening to me anyway. You definitely should have chose other targets for the Str 8 shots, I think my rhino's were too far away, but you probably could have killed the dreadnaught.
gluvzer
gluvzer

Back to top Go down

Post  Lore Weaver Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:18 pm

Your prize Ryan, is playing Necrons again! *laughs*

Only 1 stalker though... :-)
Lore Weaver
Lore Weaver
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Lore Weaver Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:18 pm

Ryan's Lamentors finally succumbed to the might of the Athanos tomb world.

Necrons won. Tied on objectives, veep's 1300-750.
Lore Weaver
Lore Weaver
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Planes Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:03 am

So the play offs are still creeping along? So the League is still "technically" going, yes?
Planes
Planes
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  System Commander Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:08 am

The league is done more or less.. Just me and mark waiting to have our game.

Our you wondering in terms or a discount for the rulebook. If you had signed up for the last league.. You should be good.

If you were to cheap to cough up your 5$ even thouhh you reported games or played in the playoffs.. Then im reccomending to dareen to not give a discount.. But of course thats his choice.

System Commander
System Commander
System Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Planes Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:10 am

I was the second person to pay for the League this time around, before playing any of my matches.
Planes
Planes
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next