Hunters of The Warp
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Deathstars

+5
Roland
dusktiger
Lore Weaver
Planes
Paz
9 posters

Go down

Deathstars Empty Deathstars

Post  Paz Sat May 12, 2012 10:13 pm

Tried out my first necron death star today.

1 overlord, scythe, resorb, phase shifter, mindshackle, semp. Weave

2 lord (I had 2 courts) w/ scythe, phase shifter, semp. Weave, mindshackle

5 lycheguard, shields.

Came out of a monolith gate, wrecked draigo and his wing.

Gross.

Anyone else roll death stars?

You feel like a dick after, but giving it to draigo, Feelsgoodman.
Paz
Paz
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Deathstars Empty Re: Deathstars

Post  Planes Sun May 13, 2012 12:04 am

I'm not sure if this is so much a "deathstar" as a "suicide assassin squad".

Also a two-court set up.

Overlord, scythe, shifter, scarabs.

Despair, shadow veil.

Eternity, Chronometron.

Deathmarks x5.

This set up lets me port in behind an enemy deathstar turn one and wipe it out. Subsequently, the lord splits off and raises hell while the remainder either soaks fire or pins down another squad.
Planes
Planes
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Lore Weaver Sun May 13, 2012 9:03 am

Ya Paz, that unit's really good. Expensive... But good.

I took two lords, warriors, and a character that can assault out of an Ark once. It was fun. You can have a Royal Court in an ark as well....

5 lords, character, chronometron cryptek, lightning field cryptek.... Super awesome.

I'm sure what won you that fight was the three Mindshackle tests :-)
Lore Weaver
Lore Weaver
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Paz Sun May 13, 2012 2:44 pm

Oh, for sure. Combined with furious charge from zandrekh, they were pretty gross.

Paz
Paz
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Lore Weaver Sun May 13, 2012 3:04 pm

I took a 2 destroyer lord 2 wraith unit against Mike. It's kinda real good too.
Lore Weaver
Lore Weaver
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  dusktiger Sun May 13, 2012 3:37 pm

kinda real good is an understatement. looking at them on the board they seem lame and worth ignoring. then they assault you and youre all "omfgwtfbbq!!!" dont underestimate those 4 models. wraiths with destro-lords are sick.
dusktiger
dusktiger
Lord of Titan

http://dusktigers-den.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Lore Weaver Sun May 13, 2012 3:40 pm

8 warscythe attacks with preferred enemy, 2 Mindshackle tests, the 8 more rending attacks from the wraiths, all bundled up in a T6 majority toughness little package...

It was after they killed your big unit, then split up and killed two tanks and a unit of marines....
Lore Weaver
Lore Weaver
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Roland Sun May 13, 2012 5:47 pm

I'm finding any Necron unit w/ a Lord and/or Overlord attached to be a giant PITA, especially to MEQ. You go first, but you don't inflict enough wounds to Massacre them, and at least half of them stand back up. It's a slow painful way to die.

Mark's "Silly-ass unit" tied up 2 Terminator squads almost the whole game, and end up killing both of them. I'm pretty sure out of the Stormlord, 2 Necron Lords and 5? Immortals, I killed them 3x over.....
Roland
Roland
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Lore Weaver Sun May 13, 2012 10:08 pm

Just plain Jane warriors. They hade the ghost ark there to rejuvenate their numbers.
Lore Weaver
Lore Weaver
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Roland Sun May 13, 2012 10:38 pm

ah hah. Necrons are sneaky scary. You're worried about all the shooting and then you get into assault and well, at that point, don't make any plans and put on a pot of coffee...

Although the Kilkeany? made it easier for me:)
Roland
Roland
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Rhaevyn Mon May 14, 2012 9:16 am

I dont think you should feel bad about playing a "deathstar" unit. its a valid tactic that the game designers obviously wanted to facilitate. necrons are the newest codex and its virtually hand fed to you to be able to do so. Same with GK's.

As with any tactic, its going to have weaknesses. Not every army is going to be able to deal with with it, but a good number will. especially if you share lists pre-game. most of the time, it just comes down to realizing which army is "the gunline" as was stated in some tactica somewhere. even with two "deathstar" armies, one is going to be statistically better at doing it, so it behooves their opponent to avoid that combat for as long as possible and shoot those models for as long as possible before allowing them to bring thier killiness to the table.

that being said:
To the necron codex specifically, i find mind shackle scarabs to be over-the-top. especially in numbers and especially for its cost. On the same scale as Lash, and psykout grenades. and probably worse. i know people will disagree, but i stand behind the statement.

Rhaevyn
Rhaevyn
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Lore Weaver Mon May 14, 2012 9:33 am

I completely agree Mike.

The only balancing aspect to Mindshackle Scarabs is that the dudes who can take them are generally pricey.
Lore Weaver
Lore Weaver
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  GingerBalls Mon May 14, 2012 9:47 am

Never feeling guilty about running Draigo again. Unless it's with 10 pallies or coming out of a land raider or something. Actually, no, still wouldn't feel bad.
GingerBalls
GingerBalls
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  System Commander Mon May 14, 2012 10:42 am

The draigo, librarian, 10 paladins with an ap oth, 2 techmarines deathstar unit is still the most powerful in the game.. As of right now nothing out deathstar that.

I m not to to hard on mkndshackle or even lash for that matter.. i think psychotroke grenades are worse actually.. es pecially if your using rad and blind grenades as well.... which is funny since ive never actually had them used on me.

Maybe chaos will up the crazy again. I hope not though.. on par sure.. but i dont want to feel bad about playing them
System Commander
System Commander
System Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Planes Fri May 25, 2012 11:04 pm

I have been looking at some different combinations with my Deathmark Deep-strike unit, and I have realized that in more than one way Imotekh fits quite well into it. If he's in on the deep-strike surprise, he has an extra AP1 area attack to add to the mix, and his Lightning Strikes on the marked squad would wound on a 2+. Alternately, you can save his staff and simply opt for an extra flamer hit, if AP is less of a concern than number of hits (Orkz, IG, and 'Nids all spring to mind). I'm going to give this silliness a test run in my coming match with Dom. If that goes well, I might field it at the tourney.
Planes
Planes
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Lore Weaver Sat May 26, 2012 12:36 am

Victory against Domdoes not a good unit make.

That said, nifty, but risky & expensive.
Lore Weaver
Lore Weaver
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Planes Sat May 26, 2012 1:04 am

I'm probably going to throw this mix against Adam's Orks and possibly Matty's Space Puppies prior to the Tourney. If I REALLY want to see how well they do, I'd throw them against Eldrad and see if they can burn him down before I get tabled.
Planes
Planes
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  GingerBalls Wed May 30, 2012 12:31 pm

System Commander wrote:The draigo, librarian, 10 paladins with an ap oth, 2 techmarines deathstar unit is still the most powerful in the game.. As of right now nothing out deathstar that.

I m not to to hard on mkndshackle or even lash for that matter.. i think psychotroke grenades are worse actually.. es pecially if your using rad and blind grenades as well.... which is funny since ive never actually had them used on me.

Maybe chaos will up the crazy again. I hope not though.. on par sure.. but i dont want to feel bad about playing them

Take out the librarian and put in Mordrak and you've got yourself 1st turn, no scatter close combat hay maker. Put in some incinerators and you will wipe out any horde you land by.
GingerBalls
GingerBalls
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  System Commander Wed May 30, 2012 1:15 pm

Modrak cant join any units though.. Just his ghost knights.

Draigo and techmarines can defintely join him though.

System Commander
System Commander
System Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  GingerBalls Wed May 30, 2012 1:53 pm

System Commander wrote:Modrak cant join any units though.. Just his ghost knights.

Draigo and techmarines can defintely join him though.

He can't? When did that happen. The rule just says Mordrak and any unit he joins. . .

EDIT: Ahh, now I see he's not an IC. Bummerrrrrrrrrrr.
GingerBalls
GingerBalls
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Spamus Eatus Wed May 30, 2012 3:35 pm

Of course that also means he can't be picked out in CC
Spamus Eatus
Spamus Eatus
Inquisitor Lord

Back to top Go down