Hunters of The Warp
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Army Painter WarPaints

Go down

Army Painter WarPaints Empty Army Painter WarPaints

Post  Roland Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:49 pm

These just came in at the den. I picked up a few today (Ultramarine blue, gunmetal, greedy gold, matt white, and the strong tome ink). I'm gonna run a few test models thru, hopefully one each in "old" GW, "new" GW and in Warpaint, to see how good the coverage is. The warpaints are $3.50/18mL vs. $4.50/12ml that GW goes for. The inks might be close to the big cans in price. The cans are cheaper ($35/240ml, the inks are the same price as the paint.) but overall it may be easier to work with, as the "dip" method is rather messy and tends to leave pools, and the brush on is basically the same as using the inks. Having the inks water based rather than oil based like the quikshade should make it easier to work with..
Roland
Roland
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Army Painter WarPaints Empty Re: Army Painter WarPaints

Post  Roland Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:14 pm

So here we go...

Army Painter WarPaints DSCF8042

L to R: old GW, new GW, new GW, Warpaints (over color Spray Primer), warpaints over black

Colors used
Old GW: Mordian Blue, Boltgun Metal, Shining Gold, Astronomicon Grey/Skull White
New GW: Macragge Blue, Leadbelcher, Balthazar Gold, Ceramite White
Warpaints: Ultramarine Blue, Gunmetal, Greedy Gold, Matt White

Old GW:
Army Painter WarPaints DSCF8044
Army Painter WarPaints DSCF8046
Army Painter WarPaints DSCF8047
Army Painter WarPaints DSCF8048

New GW, I did two, as the Macragge Blue looked a little thin when going on wet.
Army Painter WarPaints DSCF8049
Army Painter WarPaints DSCF8050
Army Painter WarPaints DSCF8051
Army Painter WarPaints DSCF8052

New GW#2
Army Painter WarPaints DSCF8053
Army Painter WarPaints DSCF8055
Army Painter WarPaints DSCF8056
Army Painter WarPaints DSCF8057

The blue is slightly darker, leadbelcher looks more like actual metal, and the white covers spectacularly in a single coat. The balthazar gold is a little dull for my tastes, but covers well. The new paints seem thicker/drier and the lids ar a PITA. Put the damn lock on it GW.

Warpaints #1 (over Spray primer)
Army Painter WarPaints DSCF8058
Army Painter WarPaints DSCF8059
Army Painter WarPaints DSCF8060
Army Painter WarPaints DSCF8061

warpaints #2 (over black)
Army Painter WarPaints DSCF8062
Army Painter WarPaints DSCF8063
Army Painter WarPaints DSCF8064
Army Painter WarPaints DSCF8067

The blue is lighter, probably slightly darker than GW's Ultramarine Blue, the metals are fairly close to the old GW colors and cover well, the white I will get into later.

This was my first time working with a dropper bottle. The paints are much runnier than GWs, about the consistancy of milk. I found myself having to actual shake, then mix the paint on a pallet to get an even coat. It tend to "run" when applying, not enough you can't control it, but it'll move more than GW.
It appears to have a fairly "chalky" texture when you first put it on, but like the spray primer, it dries to a flat finish.

The blue does appear to be a match for the spray primer. This alone make at least 1/4 to 1/2 the range work for me.
L to R: Spray primer, spray primer w/ Warpaint touchup, Warpaint over black
Army Painter WarPaints DSCF8068

The Matt White I was disappointed in. It went on thin, and is about as transparent as Skull White when dry. Minimum 2 coats needed. That said it's a match for the spray. See the comparison of the white's below.
White comparison: L to R: Old GW, New GW, Warpaints
Army Painter WarPaints DSCF8069

Skull white over Astronomicon grey
Army Painter WarPaints DSCF8070

Ceramite White
Army Painter WarPaints DSCF8071

Matt White (Warpaint)
Army Painter WarPaints DSCF8073
I'm in favor of going to warpaints as my paints runout, except the white, I'm gonna stick with Ceramite White.

Quikshade ink vs GW washes/shades next.
Roland
Roland
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down