Hunters of The Warp
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Forge World minor updates for Feb 2012

3 posters

Go down

Forge World minor updates for Feb 2012 Empty Forge World minor updates for Feb 2012

Post  dusktiger Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:23 am

Not sure how many people here check up on Forgeworld for when they post updates to their rules, but they released 2 new Special Character upgrades for Codex: Space Marine armies, and updated the point costs of the Dark Angels' Mortis Dreadnought.

I believe, IIRC, that the Mortis actually cost a little bit more than the C:SM did to make a Dual Autocannon build. now they cost the same, totaling in at 125points.

There's 2 new characters you can field now, which take advantage of models Forgeworld has had out for a while now but hadn't released any rules for, to my knowledge;

Red Scorpions Veteran Sergeant Haas.

this guy is a unique character upgrade for ONE tactical squad in your army. He's +60pts to your squad, but he comes with some nice little goodies;

• He has 2 wounds instead of the usual 1.
  • He comes with Artificer Armour, giving him a 2+ Armour save.
  • He has an Iron Halo, giving him a 4+ Invulnerable save.
  • He has a Power Sword.
  • He has a Special Rule, called Always Advance; this rule gives his squad Relentless while he's alive, meaning they can move and shoot that big heavy weapon in the squad, can still make that 24" bolter shot after moving 6", and IIRC, can still assault even if they rapid fired?
considering a captain would pay 15pts for the Art. Armour, and 15pts for the P. Sword, and a Stormshield is 15pts(but a 3+ invul, so lets assume an iron halo's 12pts?) that's around 42pts of optional wargear that's coming on a tactical sergeant. along with gaining an extra wound and Relentless. definitely worth your while if you wish to field him.

the next guy;

Sergeant Culln

this guy is a unique character upgrade for ONE Vanguard Squad in your
army. He's +60pts to your squad, but he comes with some nice little
goodies;

• Again, 2 Wounds on a sergeant instead of the normal 1.
  • Comes with a Relic Blade & Bolt Pistol, so hits at Str 6 in melee.
  • Comes with a Special Rule, called Against All Odds; as long as Culln is alive, the squad is Stubborn, and when in Melee, if they're outnumbered in the assault (5 Vanguard Vets vs 6+ enemy models in assault) then they get to Re-Roll all To-Hit dice.

Since there's multiple Culln's in the codex to choose from, there is an amended rule on this one, like the others, that you can only choose ONE version of Culln in your army list, as each entry, Sgt Culln, 1st Co. Cpt. Culln, Chapter Master Culln, represent different stages of his life; no time traveling in the Grim Dark Future!

Both Sgt Culln and Vet Sgt Haas are allowed to be fielded by any player using a Codex: Space Marines army.

so, what do you guys think of the 2 new characters? im kind of meh on sgt Culln, as base-cost of him and 4 plain jane jumper veterans is 225pts with jump packs. for that price, i'd rather pay the cost of him as chapter master and get free apothecaries for my tactical squads that dont field Haas. I think Haas is pretty cool though; its like having a captain buried in a tactical squad. since he gives relentless to his squad at that, i might have to rethink what special weapons i give his squad.
dusktiger
dusktiger
Lord of Titan

http://dusktigers-den.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Forge World minor updates for Feb 2012 Empty Re: Forge World minor updates for Feb 2012

Post  Rhaevyn Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:22 pm

60 points seems like a lot, for either of them.

But, Haas is not bad. Well relentless is good especially with a multimelta. As well as the ability to suck up the odd plasma shot on your sarj.
put him in a rhino with his 9 guys, a melta gun and a multimelta and go tank hunting.
Rhaevyn
Rhaevyn
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Forge World minor updates for Feb 2012 Empty Re: Forge World minor updates for Feb 2012

Post  Roland Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:38 pm

I think Haas is actually +50. Hass, MG, MM in a Rhino is 285, which isnt terrible. I agree the default mode is to go tank hunting.
Roland
Roland
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  dusktiger Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:30 pm

No, he 'was' 50pts, but they changed it to 60pts when they realized they made a mistake and didn't specify he happens to be wearing artificer armour. When they amended that, they changed him from 50 to 60pts. Still worth it even for 60pts. For what he has for wargear and rules, he's still a better option than buying, say, Chronus, or Epistolary status for a librarian. I'd see Haas taken more often than those 2 choices. A moving Multi-Melta or lascannon, and a power weapon with a 4+invul save is worth the price.
dusktiger
dusktiger
Lord of Titan

http://dusktigers-den.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down