Hunters of The Warp
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Possible February Highlander Event

+11
dusktiger
Veyure
Selik
Commander James of the Ul
System Commander
Spamus Eatus
Termagant
Rhaevyn
Roland
Lore Weaver
Timbo
15 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Possible February Highlander Event Empty Possible February Highlander Event

Post  Timbo Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:08 am

I've been pondering running an event for a while now. Beau always steps up and runs them so it would be nice to let him play in one! I get to have my hernia fixed towards the end of this month (yay!) so I will have a bit of time off work. This means I could run an event February 4th for sure, or if that is too soon for people I could go later on a Sunday sometime. I know Scott wanted to do a February event and I don't want to step on any toes there either. His last team event was a blast.

Here's what I was thinking: We would try a highlander format so no duplicate force org choices. Troop choices could be duplicated only once. Now this means no duplicate codex entries so for example space marines could not take a unit of landspeeder typhoons and a unit of landspeeder tornadoes, because there is only one landspeeder entry in the codex. It will force people to look at their codexes a little bit differently.

Now, I don't know every single codex inside out. Are there any where this format would be too limiting? Every army I can think of has at least a couple troop options so could field enough troops. If you'd like to respond please let me know if and when you'd be interested in an event like this. And if you have any questions or concerns about the format let me know about those as well. Looking forward to hearing from you!

Edit: Oh yeah, I was thinking 1600 points (seriously), and was going to pillage scenarios from Beau's scenario stash.
Timbo
Timbo
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Possible February Highlander Event Empty Re: Possible February Highlander Event

Post  Lore Weaver Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:10 am

Sounds like fun, might collide with curling though.
Lore Weaver
Lore Weaver
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Roland Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:08 am

Sounds like fun:)

Off the top o' me head:

Nid and Guard could still spam stuff (do to squadron rules and squads of Fex's, etc.) although I don't think it's too big a deal. Self limiting at the point total.

Templars have only the Crusader squad, Dark Angels have only Tactical squads as troops (although Angels can unlock 2 other troops choices). Sisters have more than 1 troop choice? I only see this as a prob b/c several scenarios you need several scoring units and being limited to 2 total may not work.

Other than that, it would definately turn things on their head. No more than 1 of each DT as well?

I can send you a list of the scenarios as well. I'm still working on the Battle Book, works been busy. At this point I have the format down, it's simply typing up the scenarios.
Roland
Roland
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Rhaevyn Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:52 am

I r teh down wit dat yo.
Rhaevyn
Rhaevyn
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Termagant Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:33 pm

Tim, this is better than anything I had planned. No toes stepped on. Plus, I wear steel-toed boots.

Not limiting for Nids, but Orks, maybe.

I don't think the scenes should be anything that depends on troops to claim objectives. Troops might be hard to come by. Lots of 1-1 draws.

Squadrons of Carnifexes are polly wolly crappy. No one should be worried about that.

Termagant
Grandmaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Lore Weaver Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:36 pm

At 1600 pts?

Take a Warboss or a Mekboy and take a Dreadnaught or a Nobz Mob as troops, then take 2 units of boyz and a unit of grots! A Big Big Big unit of Grots!

GROTS!

(would be *soooo* fun to paint)

Lore Weaver
Lore Weaver
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Timbo Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:43 pm

Yeah, Orks would not be a problem at all. In fact they could probably build a pretty beastly army at 1600. They could field 5 troop choices, 3 of which kick butt. Nobody locally plays Templars or DA so no problems there. Ben or Beau, can Deathwing combat squad their terminators? If so, they could still effectively field 4 troop choices and do just fine.
Timbo
Timbo
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Roland Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:07 pm

Deathwing can only be fielded in squads of 5, it's part of their "Total Badass" special rule...

I don't see DA as a prob, they can have 3 different troop choices depending on the HQ, Saying "you can't build a deathwing" is sorta the same as saying "you can't build razorspam", it's a build not a codex that's invalidated.

Templars are somewhat offset by the fact those crusader squads can be 20-strong (tho they can't combat squad). I haven't SEEN a templr army in at least 8-12 months so I doubt it'd be an issue.
Roland
Roland
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Spamus Eatus Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:58 pm

Nope, DW only come in groups of 5. So I don't see myself fielding them in such an event, as I don't field any sissy power armoured Dark Angels. However, I can run some nasty Tyranid builds for something like this!
Spamus Eatus
Spamus Eatus
Inquisitor Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  System Commander Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:29 pm

SOunds like alot of fun.. but truthfully.. it would be more or less the same chaos list I play all the time anyway.. in a tournie.. I might bring a duplicate daemon prince from time to time.. but I can easily ditch that.

Looks good!
System Commander
System Commander
System Commander

Back to top Go down

Possible February Highlander Event Empty re Highlander

Post  Commander James of the Ul Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:04 pm

Hmmm this I might be interested in and beginning of Feb might just maybe work for me. Of course I'd be fielding my Gk's.

Commander James of the Ul
Inquisitor

Back to top Go down

Post  Selik Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:32 pm

Sisters of battle only have one troop choice to choose from...so it might be a problem if I wanted to play them.
Selik
Selik
Crusader

Back to top Go down

Post  Rhaevyn Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:36 pm

Could change the rules so that the owning player nominates 3 scoring units at the start of the game instead of it just being troops choices. or even just a special rule for sisters or other disenfranchised codecies Smile
Rhaevyn
Rhaevyn
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Timbo Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:54 am

Do Sisters have anything they can unlock as troops?

Speaking of unlocking units as troops, if the codex entry can be fielded as a troop choice but is not listed in the troops section only 1 can be taken. So Ork Nobz, Tervigons, Purifiers, Paladins, etc. They can be fielded as troops, but only 1 may be taken. One may not take an HQ Tervigon and a troop Tervigon for example.

For armies that have only 1 troop choice possible we'll have to come up with something. I don't like the idea of allowing non-troops to score. Although that would be my fix for space marine devastator squads. Make them scoring units. Fixed! I just highjacked my own thread!
Timbo
Timbo
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Selik Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:58 am

sisters have nothing that gets unlocked for any IC they take. they are limited.
Selik
Selik
Crusader

Back to top Go down

Post  Veyure Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:04 am

Would you normally take more than 2 squads of battle sisters though?
Veyure
Veyure
Inquisitor

Back to top Go down

Post  Roland Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:21 am

So if it says ".. may take one as a troops choice...." like Nobs they are limited to a single choice.

If it says ".. becomes a Troops choice..." like Henchmen/Coteaz or Belail/DW is it 1 or 2?
Roland
Roland
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Termagant Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:26 pm

I thought that was already answered.

I will probably go with Tyranids. I am more confident with them, and they break the meta just enough that they can be semi-competitive in a tournament.

Termagant
Grandmaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Timbo Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:40 pm

Timbo wrote:
Speaking of unlocking units as troops, if the codex entry can be fielded as a troop choice but is not listed in the troops section only 1 can be taken. So Ork Nobz, Tervigons, Purifiers, Paladins, etc. They can be fielded as troops, but only 1 may be taken. One may not take an HQ Tervigon and a troop Tervigon for example.

For Beau Very Happy I didn't mean they can be fielded as troops w/o meeting the prerequisites. Nobz would still need a Warboss. Tervigon would still need the Termagants, etc.

As for armies with only a single troops option, I think the best solution would be to allow 3. Why, in this day and age an army would only have a single troops option is beyond me. But we all know GW shit the bed with their Sisters codex rewrite.
Timbo
Timbo
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Roland Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:53 pm

Ah I see it now. I was just pondering the difference between those who have the OPTION of taking them as a Troop (Nobs for instance, could be taken as a Troop or Elite) and those were it actually makes the choice for you. (You can't take Paladins as an Elite if you have Draigo). You're going strictly by the book (in a literal sense), works for me:)
Roland
Roland
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  dusktiger Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:33 pm

an alternate you could do for those with single troop-choice codices is don't use any missions that are objective-based. make all the games be annihilation-style and then make it a puritan 1 pick of that unit choice limit of everything in the codex. If everyone agrees and knows there's no objectives to take, and its just a kill-em-all setting, you may see some very interesting list builds; what would someone take if they know they just have to be good at killing their opponent's models? That could be interesting to see and gain insight into what people here think blends well together to meet that goal.

you stated it has to be something that has a different codex entry, so terminators and assault terminators, being different entries you could take 1 of each? or to go further, a Land Raider(heavy slot 1), a Land Raider Helios(heavy slot 2), a Land Raider Achilles(heavy slot 3), a Land Raider Prometheus(Elite slot 1), a Land Raider Crusader(elite slot 2 with termies), and a Land Raider Redeemer(elite slot 3 with assault termies) is a valid list, since that's a similar vehicle but its a whole different codex listing entry, unlike land speeder, land speeder typhoon, and land speeder tornado, which is 3 variations of 1 codex entry. i don't have the land raiders to pull that off, but some here might, so it's good to clarify that right now before people go building lists.
dusktiger
dusktiger
Lord of Titan

http://dusktigers-den.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Rhaevyn Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:39 pm

I'm not sure about removing objective missions. that makes people start being stingy with KPs and selections. the Rock armies with 2 giant units of terminators and a single HQ are going to be tough to beat.
Rhaevyn
Rhaevyn
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Roland Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:26 pm

Mike, that'd be stretching it a bit, no?

I'd make it simple (which it is so far). A LR can be taken as DT or a HS, yes? Just say you can only take as HS, (or DT for Blood Angels). Is anyone here REALLY gonna take a 3 Raider list for something casual like this? (Does anyone (other than Dan) even have the Raiders to pull this off?)
Roland
Roland
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  dusktiger Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:15 pm

no no, i dont think anyone does, but given its the most extreme example i can think of for my codex, i used it as an example to clarify if i understand the 'one choice per codex entry' rule. besides, do the math beau; those 6 land raiders cost 1595pts base. no optional wargear. you couldn't take that example at this point limit even if you wanted to. but there 'is' that many variations of the land raider, all with their own separate codex listing, so it seemed like a good example. besides, i think 'most' marine players can field 2, possibly 3. dan 'can' field 4 or 5 atm, i think; its been a while since i saw all his land raiders.

oh, i also forgot the Land Raider Proteus in my example, since she's also an elite slot choice as well, that carries only 8 models, loses its assault vehicle rule, but gains scouts and the ability to either choose to re-roll your reserve rolls this game turn, or give your opponent a -1 result to all of his. still a new entry to our armoury so i almost forgot there's that one too.
dusktiger
dusktiger
Lord of Titan

http://dusktigers-den.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Timbo Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:15 pm

I think the points values will limit the number of land raiders. Even vanilla marines could field 5 if they wanted. I seriously doubt it would be an issue. I'm generally not in favour of allowing Imperial Armour or Forgeworld stuff in tournaments, especially in a format like this where the limiting factor is the codex. If one allows a bunch of extra options and sub-codexes it will really soften the restrictions. However the tourney is for you guys, and if you all want it then that's fine. My instinct would be no.

I've got to go to work, but I'll address the scenarios discussion later...
Timbo
Timbo
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next