Warpath

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Warpath

Post  Timbo on Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:39 pm

Just picked up the Warpath starter. It comes with 16 squats, 4 assault weapon squats, 1 boss looking guy with a big hammer, a thunderfire cannon-looking thingy, 40 orks (or orx!), and an ork buggy/trike. It also comes with rules and 10 dice all for $90 (got hit a bit with exchange rate so it might go down a touch). The models look pretty good although the orks are noticably smaller than the GW ones. The detail on them is good, but you probably wouldn't want to mix them with the newer GW orks because they'd look kinda funny. They are similar in size to the old 3rd edition orks that came in the starter set (remember those?). The orks do come with extra bits allowing 5 to be converted to heavy weapon guys (big shootas or lootas), and 5 powerclaw equivalents. The poses are limited, but you do get a fair number of extra bits to customize the models. The ork trike looks especially cool and comes with a rocket launcher. The squats are almost identical in size to the GW fantasy dwarves and again have limited posing, but do come with extra bits (ammo clips, goggles, etc.). I'll posts some pics once I have a few done up. Overall I'm pretty happy with the value and you guys will soon have to fear infantry hordes on the tabletop!

Last edited by Timbo on Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:58 am; edited 1 time in total

Timbo
Lord of Titan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Warpath

Post  Rhaevyn on Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:39 pm

nice looking orks.

Cannon looking thing is much better than GW's model for Thunderfire

Rhaevyn
Lord of Titan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Roland on Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:54 am

I think you've found there actual plan there.

Forgefather= SM. (They even painted them Blue and Gold! Ultrasquats!)
Marauders=Orks. And that Raptor will make a SWEEEEEET wartrike.
Corporation= Guard. I expect something cool here.

I wasn't aware of teh limited posiblity. Any chance for a pic of the sprue?

Roland
Lord of Titan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Timbo on Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:37 pm

Well, they're no more limited than the Black Reach stuff. GW does multi-pose box sets and fixed pose starter sets. I was gonna use the squats as guard actually. They have way too much exposed skin to be in power armour IMO. Also in terms of size, they are much closer to guardsmen.

Timbo
Lord of Titan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Roland on Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:42 pm

I was under the impression they weren't special "starter set" model, but standard models.

I haven't seen anything that did a direct scale comparision w/ GW. Will be interesting when Corp. comes out.

Roland
Lord of Titan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:36 pm

They are most likely standard mantic mini's. I haven't seen any of the ones Tim bought but the Mantic mini's I have held in hand and seen online are pretty weak. I am really unimpressed with the look of these space range stuff they've done. They do have an appeal to the budget minded of course. I'll have to check Tim's haul sometime.

Personally with all the other companies that target the GW audience I can't think of a single one that has existed long term by trying to produce cheaper lower quality Warhammer mini's. The ones that seem to do allright are the companies that make mini's that are at least on par and often higher than the current GW range might be. Avatars of War is the prime example on the fantasy side of things.

I haven't heard many good things from most Mantic customers I have had any eContact with regarding the game rules they put out. I don't think Mantic will be around for all that long myself.

ScottRadom
Lord of Titan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 12:15 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top