Hunters of The Warp
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Outfitting the Dreadknight

+2
Roland
System Commander
6 posters

Go down

Outfitting the Dreadknight Empty Outfitting the Dreadknight

Post  System Commander Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:49 am

Alrighty, so I picked up a Dreadknight yesterday and now I have the task of deciding what to outfit it with.

I'll probably just end up magnetizing the shooting weapons.. since they just strap on anyway.. and even then I can't really imagine using anything besides the Gatling Psilencer.

However, the hand weapons.. I really think the Nemesis Greatsword is the best choice to go.. he re-roll all failed missed to hit, to wound and failed armour penetration rolls.. !? Thats pretty.. unbelievably awesome. The choices are staying stock with two nemesis doomfists giving it str 10 or a nemesis daemonhammer that allows it go on its initiative..

I think as it is, hes going to start out with a greatsword and a personal teleporter. If I dont like how the teleporter is working, I'll probably take that away and give him a Gatling psilencer so he can do something as he's walking up.

If I end with a second one, I'll probably do one each way. I dont know.. I relaly like the ide of getting the 12" jump move every turn and that 30" move once a game.. that could be a game breaker. But, I do plan on taking a librarian with summoniing as a power.. If the dreadknight is just making his way up slowly.. I can always just teleport him in..

There's also a storng part of me that loves the idea of just giving a greatsword to keep it cheap and send him on his way.

How about anyone else planning to use a dreadknight.. how are you going to outfit it?

System Commander
System Commander
System Commander

Back to top Go down

Outfitting the Dreadknight Empty Re: Outfitting the Dreadknight

Post  Roland Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:42 am

Based on statline, etc. I think you have to play it as a DP. That means wings (personal teleporter).

Agreed in the Gatling, although I like the Heavy Incinerator too. The Heavy Psycannon was underwhelming to me.

The various hand weapons bring up 2 issues:

1)Nemesis Doomfist... "A Nemesis Doomfist follows the rules for Dreadnaught close combat weapons." (GK pg. 54)

Dreadnaught CCW.... "A Dreadnaught close combat weapon is a power weapon and doubles the WALKER'S Strength in close combat (up to a max of 10)." (BRB pg. 73)

A Dreadknight is a MC, not a walker and I'm at a loss for another MC with a DCCW. I was thinking Wraithlords, but nope.

*sigh* </rant> effing GW. My wife's not working, can she edit your books?</endrant>

So does it double str or no?

My take is it does, as if it doesn't it would be the same as a ccw (like a daemon prince or the greater daemons are equipped with), so they made it a DCCW for a reason. Its only +10 for the daemonhammer b/c all you are really gaining is the TH effect, (it's PF to TH, rather than CCW to TH).

The Greatsword says nothing about being a DCCW, so I'd say its Str 6. But I'll take it everytime with those re-rolls.

Secondly, I noticed that NOWHERE in the book does it say the Doomfist has a built in SB (on the Dreadknight... but it's all over the White Dwarf issue (pg 4 & 21) and the description on the website. Confusing, as it'd be nice to have those for shots with the basic build.

When I get one, Greatsword and PT for sure. I WANT to put more stuff (like the Incinerator) but that's 230 pts already.

I love the idea and the model, and I'm going to get one eventually. But I have a real issue when you compare it to a DP. In particular wings vs. a PT.

I think you hit on something with the Summoning.
Roland
Roland
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Spamus Eatus Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:31 pm

It's a bit of a tricky call how the Dreadknight's attacks actually work, and frankly we will just have to wait for a FAQ.

Here's my take on it though, feel free to shoot the theories down Razz Just what I feel is most appropriate.

If armed with 2x doomfists: 4 attacks @ S6,
Greatsword: 3 attacks @ S6, rerolls
Hammer: 3 attacks @ S10, with thunderhammer bonuses

Note all attacks have the "nemesis FW effect"

The Dreadknight can't quite benefit from the doomfists, as he is a MC and not a walker, but gets the nemesis effect. If they did bump S to 10, there is little point in taking the hammer, as you are paying 10 pts to LOSE an attack and all you would effectively gain is the stun effect of the hammer. (though it would rarely go off due to the force weapon effect it has) Then with a personal teleporter that raises some more questions. The entry says it works just like the teleporter for an interceptor squad. So does that change the Dreadknight to jump infantry? In which case it would potentially loose its MC status, no more 2D6 pen. Anyways, hopefully a FAQ is out soon, there's a few other issues in the dex as well to be sorted.

I'm planning on converting the hell out of one, with magnets and everything, and getting rid of the "baby carrier" pilot. It's the only thing that dosen't work for me with that model. If I could ask a teeny tiny favour, Robyn? What are the measurements of the ball+sockets of the arms?
Spamus Eatus
Spamus Eatus
Inquisitor Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Roland Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:04 pm

You have a point. A std CCW won't have a force effect, and all the listed Nemesis weapons would give something else (sword +1 invul, halbred +2 init, etc.) Needs a FAQ and quick. Lots of "little" things like that.

Actually, by your reading, you can use HH w/the Doomfists, but not with the TH.

Falchions= does a GK w/ Falchions have 2 or 3 attacks? 1 base +1 for 2 ccw +1 for the listed power of a falchion. Or is the +1 power simply the +1 for 2 ccw restated (needlessly).

Roland
Roland
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Spamus Eatus Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:26 pm

Don't get me started on the falchions. I'm in the only +1 extra attack camp, looking at the point costs and vague wording. I think it's rather wishful thinking that a terminator pays a mere 5 points to bring his attacks up to 4 base. Granted, he's loosing that +1inv in CC but it still seems WAY too cheap. +1attack feels more right to me. Either way, cleaner wording would have been really nice.
Spamus Eatus
Spamus Eatus
Inquisitor Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Roland Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:27 pm

Oh no no, I'm with you on the falchions. But someone is going to rules lawyer/RAW it.

Anyways, back to dreadknight specific stuff, b/c we're threadjacking.

This is just me, but I like the HI rather than the GPsi. I think they are close though.

Honestly I can't think of a reason to take any of the weapons other than the Greatsword. Take Hammerhand vs. Vehicles (for Str 10+2d6AP), Force Weapon vs high T, multi wound beasties (Nids, DP, Greater Daemons, Wraithlords, Avatar, etc.), and does it even matter vs. hordes? Actually this seems to be the weak point to me. You're killing 3/rd, max, you can be locked in CC, so a mob of 20 orks is going to tie you up.

Dark Excommunication: Daemonic Gifts don't work.....

<face palm>

I don't have my Daemon codex on me, but is anything there listed as a "Daemonic Gift"? Does this mean Marks of Chaos don't function? An Avatar's "Daemon" special rule? Possessed's "Daemonkin" rule? This appears to be a anti-Chaos Daemon specific power.
Roland
Roland
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  System Commander Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:23 pm

Hmm, good points. I was assuming the doomfists gave him a straight str. 10.. but makes more sense it not giving him str. 10 not being a dreadnaught.. even though he is much much bigger than one. I really think when it gets faq'd the fists will be str. 10... I would think. It just says the nemesis doomfists follows the rules for dreadnaoughts close combat weapons.. Plus, not like the weapons can be destroyed on him so I can see why it wouldnt count..

ANyway.. yeah, the built in stormbolter thing is dumb. The dreadnoughts both say built in sotrm bolter.. the dreadknight does not say that, but the white dwarf printing on the dreadknight did.. dumb.

Hopefully they fix it up soon enough.. these are pretty glaring points I hadnt though about until now. That being said, I think ill just stick with the greatsword and go from there.

Dark excommunication is pretty retarded..

I havent cracked the box yet, but once I do ill take a measurement.

Last edited by System Commander on Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
System Commander
System Commander
System Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:20 pm

Mmmmm Dreadknight...

This puppy reminds me of Mechanicum Knights from the pre-heresy days. Hell on legs with a teleporter? Yes please, may I have another?

For CC the Greatsword rocks. A nemesis weapon with 2d6 armor pen that you can re-roll your rolls, 'nuf said.

The HI looks like it'd be good for taking on hordes trying to hide.

The GP should be good for a big body count especially against deamons.

The HP Looks nasty too. Str7 Ws4 Large blast, rending, looks like a transport/tank killer to me.

Taking one with GS, Tely, HP and GP is gonna cost 305 pts. Looks like a lot but in a 2000 pt army that's only 15% of your force total and it WILL make your opponent pause and go "aww crap" when it hits the board.

Back to top Go down

Post  Lore Weaver Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:14 am

The way the rules are written, it sounds like the Dreadknight with a teleporter counts as infantry and can therefore benefit from a cover save.
Lore Weaver
Lore Weaver
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  System Commander Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:22 am

Well, I think this came up in another codex just recently, although I cant remember the example..

I was pretty sure that the unit just gained the descriptor jump infantry opposed to losing the monstrous creature descriptor. I would use exactly the same as a daemon prince.. exactly.
System Commander
System Commander
System Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Lore Weaver Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:33 am

I thought there was a FAQ somewhere that said they now "count as both"... I'll check though Razz
Lore Weaver
Lore Weaver
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  System Commander Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:37 am

Well, the dreadknight as he is can still get a cover save.. just not many things that'll give him one..

is that were saying or that he'd get cover from other infantry ?
System Commander
System Commander
System Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Lore Weaver Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:44 am

MC's don't get cover from a forest, do they? (I'm spacing a bit, don't have a rule book handy)
Lore Weaver
Lore Weaver
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  System Commander Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:40 pm

It just depends.. literally.. if he's 50% obscured by the trees.. yup.. just like any other MC.
System Commander
System Commander
System Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  smackman Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:16 am

I would think since the DreadKnight is a MC it would be exactly like a Demon Prince with wings... still an MC but also Jump Infantry, so True Line of Sight would determine cover save. 50% of the model would need to be obscured like Robyn said.
smackman
smackman
Inquisitor Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  miv305 Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:10 am

A Dreadknight with Doomfists is strength 10, folks saying otherwise are taking an overly RAW approach imo. Let's not forget that a Wraithlord used to come equipped with DCCW's and was always considered to be strength 10...

When you look at a personal teleporter for him it also simply states that it works like the Interceptors wargear, it seems pretty obvious the rules allow him to move like jump infantry but still retain his monstrous creature status (keeping the benfits and disadvantages that go along with being a big scary monster).

Just my 2 cents!

Mike
miv305
miv305
Crusader

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down