Hunters of The Warp
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tournament Special Character Limit?

+5
Timbo
Lore Weaver
System Commander
Roland
Spamus Eatus
9 posters

Go down

How many characters should be allowed in one army?

Tournament Special Character Limit? Vote_lcap6%Tournament Special Character Limit? Vote_rcap 6% 
[ 1 ]
Tournament Special Character Limit? Vote_lcap33%Tournament Special Character Limit? Vote_rcap 33% 
[ 6 ]
Tournament Special Character Limit? Vote_lcap22%Tournament Special Character Limit? Vote_rcap 22% 
[ 4 ]
Tournament Special Character Limit? Vote_lcap39%Tournament Special Character Limit? Vote_rcap 39% 
[ 7 ]

Total Votes : 18

Tournament Special Character Limit? Empty Tournament Special Character Limit?

Post  Guest Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:14 pm

I was wondering what general opinion about special characters were in regards to the tournament setting.

In previous editions they were often banned outright, but in 5th so such limit exists within the core rulebooks.

So do people think that some sort of limit should exists?

Back to top Go down

Tournament Special Character Limit? Empty Re: Tournament Special Character Limit?

Post  Spamus Eatus Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:25 pm

One would be appropriate, now that special characters allow "unlockable" armies. Otherwise I couldn't use my DW at all.
Spamus Eatus
Spamus Eatus
Inquisitor Lord

Back to top Go down

Tournament Special Character Limit? Empty Re: Tournament Special Character Limit?

Post  Roland Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:45 pm

I think you *HAVE* to allow at least one, for the reasons given.

Past that... honestly I'm torn. I think loading up on SC's is a little cheesy, but also feel those lists are 100% legal.

Realistically, you're never going to see more than 2 in a list anyways. The only real cases of more than that I can think of, is Daemons and possibly Space Wolves.
Roland
Roland
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  System Commander Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:14 pm

I personally don't have a problem with the amount or any special characters.. if it fits in the Force Org., have at er.
System Commander
System Commander
System Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Lore Weaver Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:12 pm

They have a capacity to be very silly and not very balanced. (The Nightbringer? The Deceiver? Abbadon 4+D6 S8 I6 power weapon attacks?)

I appreciate allowing them for un-lockable armies (such as White Scars), so I suppose 1 is kinda-sorta-okay...

I'd say something like, "Special Characters permitted only if they modify the Book-Standard force org" or something, which allows for the unlockable armies... (but I suppose that still allows Ghazkull, which is kinda ridiculous too).

Tough call. I guess you could base it on how many people would/wouldn't show up if you disallowed or allowed special characters. If you're going to have a full roster of players without, I say ban 'em. Tooo silly :-) But that's just me.
Lore Weaver
Lore Weaver
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Timbo Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:32 pm

I haven't seen any characters that are too good for the points. Abaddon is 275 points IIRC. That's a lot of points. Bring 'em all on!
Timbo
Timbo
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:00 pm

Ill let this poll go for a while ad let players give their opinions. if an obvious dislike for them being unlimited is apparent, then I will impose a limit for the tournament. If there lacks an obvious consensus, then the will be unlimited.

I myself play generally 0-1 characters for chaos (cuz Kharn is awesome),

and usually 2 for Eldar (Eldrad just cuz hes too good for his cost, and Maugen Ra cuz hes cool)

I will however say that I feel that characters do often seem very powerful, even considering their costs.

Back to top Go down

Post  Veyure Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:31 am

Are you referring to Special characters as commanders or upgrade guys too?
I think multiple HQ Characters is a bit crazy but for the most part you are losing out by paying so much points for it.
As for upgrades within a unit, I'd have to say as a blood angel player, to disallow character upgrades would be detrimental to the power of the army. But even if it is unlimited, say i take dante and i want to add mephiston, i'm putting in around 500 points into an army of 2 models. Sure, one of them is a tank in man form, but that is still only 2 models. In a 1500 point game thats a 3rd of my army IN 2 MODELS.
The controversy over characters, in my opinion is unnecessary. Many people who hate the idea of facing multiple characters is likely due to the fact that their army does not have multiple awesome characters. I don't think Others should be penalized for some armies' lack of choice. They make up for it in extra points spent on a larger army.
Veyure
Veyure
Inquisitor

Back to top Go down

Post  gluvzer Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:57 am

No Restriction! There's a point cost for a reason. I would never have an issue facing any or any number of special characters as long as they follow the FOC or considerations of the codex.
gluvzer
gluvzer
Lord of Titan/Hero of ToonCon/Ayatollah of Rock n' Rolla
Lord of Titan/Hero of ToonCon/Ayatollah of Rock n' Rolla

Back to top Go down

Post  smackman Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:32 am

I agree with whatever Ryan said. Righteous Dïckhäulder! (means Soul Brother in German)

Nah I'm just messing with you, it's more like cup-holder... but you know.
smackman
smackman
Inquisitor Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:09 am

I will let this poll run untill April 30,

at that point I will make a choice to satisfy as many players as possible;

right now I would set a limit of 2 per person (an average of the results; as there is no large majority).

Also, characters in this case would also include models like Telion and Snikrot even if they are not HQ's

Back to top Go down

Post  littlehurc Mon May 02, 2011 9:44 pm

For special char, are we talking about hq, or any special ? Cause my changeling is a special char, but only cost 5 extra points.
littlehurc
littlehurc
Crusader

http://www.metaldesignz.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Roland Mon May 02, 2011 10:24 pm

I'd assume the Changling falls into the same category as Telion and Snikrot, and count as such.
Roland
Roland
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed May 04, 2011 3:20 am

If you are only allowed 1 changeling per army then it will count towards the limit of two total characters;

Also, as it is past May 1st, and the results of the poll show 11 votes towards some sort of a limit with 7 votes towards tehre being no limit, then I will be creating the rule of ONLY 2 CHARACTERS PER LIST IN TEH 1500 POINT TOURNAMENT

I hope this decision is a good compramise between the extremes of infinit characters and banning them. If there are any questions about what would or would not count; or if there are any comments about this addition to the tournament rules (I will update that post as well) please post here

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down