Hunters of The Warp
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Grey knights are out for preorder!

+4
gluvzer
Commander James of the Ul
System Commander
judchic
8 posters

Go down

Grey knights are out for preorder! Empty Grey knights are out for preorder!

Post  judchic Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:32 am

Very nice, all sets have tons of bits and are interchangeable with several codex entries...
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/armySubUnitCats.jsp?catId=cat440160a
judchic
judchic
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Grey knights are out for preorder! Empty Re: Grey knights are out for preorder!

Post  System Commander Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:18 am

Thank god I finally got some decent pictures.. I think my head was going to explode.

Im a bit dissapointed they dont have a Castellan Crowe or Jokaero up yet.. Draigo is cool but I find really basic.. considering the ass kicker he is. That being said, Mephiston is the same way and I dont like his mini at all.

The options all laid out in the power armour and terminator boxes is nice. Psilencer, 2 psycannons and an incinerator. Im really surprised about them throwing 2 in there.. but I think they realize that psycannons are going to be everywhere in the army so might as well supply what people are going to want.

I dont have any words for the Dreadknight. They look awesome.. however.. it would of been nice to see maybe a little more protection for the driver. These are meant to be fighting Greater Demons.. they should be armoured up to protect the driver.. for pets sake dude, .. your fighting Greater Unclean Ones and you dont have a helmet on!
System Commander
System Commander
System Commander

Back to top Go down

Grey knights are out for preorder! Empty Re pre order

Post  Commander James of the Ul Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:39 am

System Commander wrote:Thank god I finally got some decent pictures.. I think my head was going to explode.

Im a bit dissapointed they dont have a Castellan Crowe or Jokaero up yet.. Draigo is cool but I find really basic.. considering the ass kicker he is. That being said, Mephiston is the same way and I dont like his mini at all.

The options all laid out in the power armour and terminator boxes is nice. Psilencer, 2 psycannons and an incinerator. Im really surprised about them throwing 2 in there.. but I think they realize that psycannons are going to be everywhere in the army so might as well supply what people are going to want.

I dont have any words for the Dreadknight. They look awesome.. however.. it would of been nice to see maybe a little more protection for the driver. These are meant to be fighting Greater Demons.. they should be armoured up to protect the driver.. for pets sake dude, .. your fighting Greater Unclean Ones and you dont have a helmet on!

Fighting greater demon with a helmet is like riding a motor cycle at over a 100k with a helmet. Like seriously who does that.... Or maybe the dread knight just wants to phyc out the greater demon. Is the greater demon wearing a helmet. lol
Settle down "SC" if you look at the pics there is an option with a helmet.

Inquisitor

Back to top Go down

Post  System Commander Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:42 pm

So you dont get sh!t splattered in your face.. If I was an ass kicking super soldier fighting the universes greatest threats.. Id still like to prevent getting sh!t flung on my face from Nurglers..

Or.. who knows, I guess you can imagine the Dreadknights inherent armour defensive abilities having a force field of some sort.. but still.. Id have preferred to see the knight a bit more protected and bulky.. but thats just design aesthetics.. I do still really like them..

At least they get armour though.. not like theose poor bastards strapped to penetent engines.. whos complete protection is relying on a thin robe..

Man they're still gouging us poor canucks up here.. Dreadknight is 20% more in Canada than in US.. not counting shipping.

System Commander
System Commander
System Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  gluvzer Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:29 pm

They are supposed to be pyschicly force-fielded. So that Sh!t gets zapped!

Isn't our $ almost par now too? Damn pricing adjustments, get with the now!
gluvzer
gluvzer
Lord of Titan/Hero of ToonCon/Ayatollah of Rock n' Rolla

Back to top Go down

Post  System Commander Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:02 pm

Stupid Gw.. we're even above par right now..

A few bucks here and there is minor.. but 20%.. ? Plus shipping.. stupid.

Its nice the den gives a bit of a discount.. but I still find it very odd to be priced so much higher.

I will say though, its nice everything is in plastic now.. but the old minis really do hold well to th enews ones. My only complaint with the olds ones would only the power armoured guys look a tad tiny when copared to the newer ones.

I'll have to get a few new things.. a Dreadknight, a box of termies, and probably 2 boxes of PA guys eventually.. but at least I have an ok base to start with. All my regular marine shave halberds though so I guess I can turn them into purifiers.

Ill have to see how the paladins work out. I was hoping to get away from the massive point sink the terminators used to be.. but I really like the idea of having 2 decent sized units of regular terminators with some awesome weaponry.. and lots of Grey Knight troops.

System Commander
System Commander
System Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  gluvzer Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:56 pm

Good to see you excited about 40k again!

And we even have Timbo visting and posting on the site again!
gluvzer
gluvzer

Back to top Go down

Post  Roland Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:10 pm

Plus: all plastic, all options included, models are beautiful (as expected after Space Wolves, and Blood Angels)

Minus: $33 US for a box of 5? I was expecting closer to $25. Minor quibble. Making the Force Halbred an upgrade (albeit 5pt to make them I6) effectively makes all old GKPA, if not ineffecient, pigeon-holed. GKTA not as bad. I fully expect to buy at least a box of each, if only to make some of the newer choices.

As far as the prices (in CDN) I've found after shipping, and whatnot, basically it's a wash. Sure you can save 20% online, or 30% from some stores in Canada, but unless you order a lot at once, you're usually giving it right back in shipping. Free shipping from GW Canada just means you might as well buy local at the Den. When I was in the states and could have stuff shipped for $6 regardless of the size of the order it was a big savings, here not so much.
Roland
Roland
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  System Commander Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:28 pm

Yup.. exactly. Ill be buying from the den of course anyway.. I was just surprised to see such a big difference on these.
System Commander
System Commander
System Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Paz Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:52 am

As Ryan said, teh DK has a super duper force field. The description in the leaked codex talks about that. Basically it would inhibit the movements of the Dk, with marginal protection, so a Force field supreme does the job.

Pretty cool, but none of it suprising.
Paz
Paz
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Timbo Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:32 am

Hey, thanks for noticing! I've been getting the 40K itch again. Is there some sort of salve for that? I work almost all nights, but I'd be looking at setting up an afternoon game or two. What's the default size these days. Please don't say 2000...
Timbo
Timbo
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  gluvzer Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:24 am

It kinda seems to be.. umm.. around.. umm.. 2000?

There's been an escalation league and campaign going on. I think they both top-off at 2000pts.
gluvzer
gluvzer

Back to top Go down

Post  System Commander Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:39 am

Yeah, its exciting when an army you like and have gets some updates.

The only problem I have when something like this happens.. is that I want to play with everything. I want a unit in a stormraven, 2 in razorbacks, paladins, purifiers, dreadknights, dreadnaughts, terminators, assassins, inquisitors.. .. etc. . I want them all.

I get so excited about all the different units, I have a hard time narrowing it down to what I think Id like to play and try to get that up first.

I think Ill try to have a mix of everything though.. that'll be the funnest. I really like the idea of having about 4 troops choices.. then with the grandmaster being to take another d3 scoring units. That sounds pretty awesome in my books.
System Commander
System Commander
System Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Timbo Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:39 pm

Ah, I guess that's cool for an escalation league. I always thought the game worked best at around 1500-1750 points. I found at the larger sizes the tables got too cluttered and the maneuver element of the game was lessened. Although it definitely switches the balance a bit. Do you guys find some army lists get stronger or weaker with the addition of more points? Armies like space marines with solid troops and lots of options remain relatively unaffected by size changes, however I would expect armies where troops are only taken because well, you have to take some (Tau, Necrons, Eldar) may suffer even more. Although I always understand the attraction of playing with "more stuff".
Timbo
Timbo
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  gluvzer Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:26 pm

Getting threadjacky here.. Smile

I think a lot of the 'newer' books greatly benefit from higher points levels. (not sure on DE though). When you start being able to almost 'abuse' redundency, like you could with IG for example, 3 tanks/vendetta's/sentinals/etc. per FO spot. BA vehicle spams, SW character heavy, etc..

IMO Guard, BA, SW scale up very well. Like you said Marines are pretty standard.
gluvzer
gluvzer

Back to top Go down

Post  Roland Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:52 pm

Off Topic: Agreed with the upscale, I'd add Orks to the list. After playing Tyson's Dark Eldar @1500, 2000 would scale very well. I think 1500 is the "sweet spot". Anything between 1000/2000 is playable. 'Ard Boyz (2500) is over the limit and broken (Leafblower)

Back on topic: Agreed on wanting the new stuff. At the very least I plan on getting 2 boxes of Grey Knight (to make purifiers, and purgation squad, and then use the teleporters on my existing GK to make a Interceptor squad), a box of Termie (to make Paladins) and a Dreadknight and eventually a Stormraven. But they aren't gonna stop selling them, so I'm not in a rush to get anything,

My army "ported" well, going from 1500 to 1425. After some moving around, it's back at 1500, and potentially all troops.

"Old"
Stern
7 Termies (1 Psy)
10 GKPA (1 Inc, 1 Psy)
10 GKPA (1 Inc, 1 Psy)
Dread (TL AC, Blessed, Smoke)
Land Raider (Blessed, Smoke)

"New"
Grand Master w/ Psybolts
5 Purifiers (3 Force Halbreds, 1 Inc, Psybolts)
7 Termies (1 Psy, 3 Force Halbreds, Psybolts)
10 Grey Knights (Strike Squad) (7 Force Halbreds, 1 Inc, 1 Psy, Psybolts)
5 Grey Knights (Interceptors) (3 Force Halbreds, 1 Psy, Psybolts)
Dread (TL AC, Psybolts)
Land Raider (Psybolts)

It's not optimized of course, but that a LOT of I6, S4 Power Weapons, and a LOT of Str 5 bolter shots. It's obviously gonna have issues with any real armor, but it's gonna be fun to crash into stuff.
Roland
Roland
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Grey knights are out for preorder! Empty re pre order

Post  Commander James of the Ul Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:52 am

Ya I'm working on a 2k list. Probably going to have 2 storm ravens, 2 troops with personal teleporters, 1 termy troops choice and a full squad of Purifiers, and the Best part is the HQ choice with Ghost termies (Just as long as they don't change the point cost in the final prof of the codex). BUT i have one question... What in the Hell is a P-silencer????????
Its a gun.... Ya okay But what does it do?????

New born is just 2 month and with her and the company keeping me Exhausted, I might talk to myself. lol

Inquisitor

Back to top Go down

Post  System Commander Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:21 pm

Psilencers are str 4, heavy 6 no Ap guns.. always wound daemons on a 4+ unles the strength would allow to wound them easier.

Blood of Kittens is hosting a Codex release party throughout today, and answering any questions people are asking. Most of the stats up there floating around.
System Commander
System Commander
System Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  smackman Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:55 pm

Armies with low points cost easily abuse the lower points totals, DE can almost comfortably take 3 ravagers at 1000pts, but are still limited to only 3 ravagers at 2000pts, as anyone who's played my Orks at 1000pts can tell you, I get lots of stuff for 1000pts.

2500pts is the upper limit of what I would ever play and even then it wouldn't be very comfortable as I have no room in my army to add extra units to my force org chart, at 2000pts my typical list takes 2 HQ, 3 ELITE, 5-6 TROOPS, 1-2 FAST, 3 HEAVY which basically means I'd be adding hundreds of points towards war gear or extra models for squads that in my opinion are already streamlined to maximize kills/unit cost.

Balance and tipping point this way and that way is a myth... like Thor it's cool to believe in but it's just not real. If you both play balanced friendly lists then the game is just as balanced at 1000pts as it is at 1500pts as it is at 2000pts. (Again elite armies suffer below 1000pts because of high individual model cost not being quite accurate... different discussion though) Personally I enjoy any game between 1000-2000pts, I don't feel like I over power anyone at 1000pts and get crushed at 2000pts or that my 1500pt games are any more balanced win/loss against certain armies or not. I'll defend 2000pts as my favorite game size however because I can build a competitive 1750pts list and use my remaining 250pts on something that might not be a competitive unit but it looks awesome on the table top because of it's sweet paint job/conversion work/uniqueness or whatever makes it a centerpiece model. Like my forgeworld mega dread, even though he had a decent game against mike last night, it's generally not worth the 200pts it costs, but 2000pts gives you that extra wiggle room to add some more fun to your work horse units.

Also holy thread jack! and Booooo Grey Knights and I didn't really finish this post I got bored writing it and walked away so I'm finishing it with this sentence.

smackman
smackman
Inquisitor Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Roland Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:16 pm

Don't know if anyone noticed but if you go to the Grey Knights page they have the old metal Brother-Captain (from the old Termie set) avaliable for order and all the inquisitors (including the "limited edition" Gideon Lorr witchhunter inquisitor), among others...
Roland
Roland
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:26 pm

1. The Dread Knight looks AWESOME!, it is making me considering finishing my inquisition army.

2. The tourney this weekend is 2000, but I highly considering making the next one 1500.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum