Hunters of The Warp
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Power Armor, project white!

5 posters

Go down

Power Armor, project white! Empty Power Armor, project white!

Post  ice Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:36 pm

Guys, i'm looking for good recipes for white power armor. And I need your help, if you could give me a few tips it would be appreciated!
ice
ice
Mystic

Back to top Go down

Power Armor, project white! Empty Re: Power Armor, project white!

Post  ScottRadom Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:52 pm

There is an in depth one on White Scars power armor from a WD a while back that should be on the GW site by now. It was that Khan dude painted by one of the EM boys. If I remember it was shaded with graveyard earth and a basecoat of fortress grey and skull white. Worked up to pure white in spots of course.

But Robert I am just asking... do you for SURE want a white marine army? I personally hate painting white. It's a chore, more so than black I find, to work with. Most of the big guns in the painting world seem to do really wierd stuff to their white's to jazz it up. Like adding some wierd turquoise effect and stuff.

There is a miniature mentor video on painting white. It's a short one, maybe 15 min long and should be on youtube if you don't want to buy it (comes in a set with painting faces, painting black, and something else I can't think of for 25$ from their site. I didn't like it much TBH.) but it's probably out there.

If I HAD to paint white across an army I think I'd basecoat in Dheneb Stone from the foundation range, shade with a little bit of thinned down graveyard earth in the recesses and gaps between the plates and stuff, then highlight with a white. Probably Dheneb stone and white 1:1 then pure white. But I would not want to do that. Good luck!
ScottRadom
ScottRadom
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  ice Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:52 am

Thanks for the tip Scott!
I'm not doing the whole army in white, just 10 marines. The armor they wear is a different colour from the rest of the chapter (Angels Sanguine, and yes I know their armor should be gold)
I just thought the white would be a nice contrast to the black/ red split colour scheme of the rest of the army
ice
ice
Mystic

Back to top Go down

Post  dusktiger Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:02 pm

this video tutorial is pretty good; its for white scars, so it'll cross over for your idea of doing sanquinary guard and/or death company in white like Angels Encarmine do.

dusktiger
dusktiger
Lord of Titan

http://dusktigers-den.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  smackman Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:06 am

Damn I wish that guy had a video like that for Khorne Warriors of Chaos for fantasy... cuz that was awesome.
smackman
smackman
Inquisitor Lord

Back to top Go down

Power Armor, project white! Empty re power armour

Post  Commander James of the Ul Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:54 pm

I agree that was a kick ass video. If I had the coin I would get him to do my Blood Ravens.

Commander James of the Ul
Inquisitor

Back to top Go down

Post  dusktiger Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:07 pm

he's actually doing a project, the space marine chapters project, where he intends to make a video like that for ALL 1000 CHAPTERS!!! really epic. he's got a blood raven video already if i recall

edit: here it is

he also has for Crimson Fist, Angels Encarmine, Angels Vermillion, Angels Sanguine, Flesh Tearer, Black Templar, 13th great wolf company, Ultramarine, Dark Angel, Imperial Fist, Blood Angel, Space Wolf, and Salamander

i also found a fantasy chaos warrior vid too:
dusktiger
dusktiger
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  smackman Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:04 pm

Yeah I found that video of him speed painting the chaos warrior right after, its pretty cool, I wish it was as informative as his tutorial videos tho.
smackman
smackman
Inquisitor Lord

Back to top Go down

Power Armor, project white! Empty Re white armour

Post  Commander James of the Ul Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:29 pm

Thank man for the video. Got an air brush over the holidays so I might have to try some of that out. Thank god I got the red gore part right on the Armour. lol On he white armour thing try maybe a bleach bone base coat on the shoulder pads and then follow up on the skull white. But that might look alittle too princeesy come to think of it. But just a thought.

Commander James of the Ul
Inquisitor

Back to top Go down

Post  dusktiger Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:46 am

my whites i start with a basecoat spray from a can of P3 white primer, just quick easy strokes; if it looks a 'lil' thick and runny, dont worry; their spray dries smooth and flush to the model so it'll look like you airbrushed, or managed an epically perfect brushed-on coat.

then i wash with badab black to get all the crevices filled. dont worry if your white areas look like smoked grey at this stage.

then just paint a coat of white in the shade you want the armour to be over the panels, leaving the crevices alone. now you'll have a very defined white armor.

as much as people claim white's hard to paint, it really isnt once you sit down and try a few methods. if your gonna layer up, or glaze, or go from a grey or bone basecoat to shades of grey, to finally white, yes, its VERY annoying to paint white. but this method you could paint an all white marine in half an hour.

im doing an all-biker white panthers army, a la white scars style cause their homeworlds are really close and white panthers fluff is limited to "they're vicious and dont show mercy" sounds mongol-like, just like white scars. this method, combined with painting half the bike black, takes me about an hour, maybe 80 minutes, to do one biker start to finish.
dusktiger
dusktiger
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down