Warbosses

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Warbosses

Post  Guest on Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:00 am

I'm reading the Ork Codex and unfortunately I don't have a Warboss for my army as of yet, but I have a squad of Nobz.

My question is can a Nob be used as a Warboss?

Back to top Go down

Re: Warbosses

Post  System Commander on Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:14 am

For sure, but just make sure he is different a lttle bit..

.. or were jsut going to use an existing Nob ass tand in for him until you get a warboss? Either way should be fine, as long as it's pretty apparent hes the warboss you should be fine. Annnd, of course the gear. If the mini has a power claw, he should definitely have one to. If you make concessions with your opponent ahead of time, its usually ok but I strongly encourage going with wysiwyg at all times.

System Commander
System Commander

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Freezingoon on Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:00 am

One note is that nobz come with a 1 inch base and warbosses come with a 2 inch base like terminators, or most any other independent character. Most people around here are fine for allowing stand-ins and would probably not mind a nob on a regular base much, but that larger base does make a difference in the game so slapping a nob on a larger base would best if you can.

Freezingoon
Crusader

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:13 pm

if I can find a larger base I'd definitely do that.

This is the nob I'd use

until I get an actual Warboss, and yeah I'd use the wysiwyg rule because its a pain in the arse to try and explain what wargear you can and cannot see on him.

Back to top Go down

Post  Paz on Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:38 pm

You can have a model on a bigger base, but a major rule of 40k, since I first started, is no putting models on bases 'smaller' than the one they came with. Bigger isn't a big deal, smaller is a big no-no. So if you use a Nob, ya gotta put him on the termie base.

Paz
Lord of Titan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:34 am

I guess I need to get some 40mm bases then because the Nobs only came with 25mm

But on a side note, I don't know if and when I'll be playing so I'm looking into getting myself the Assault on Black Reach Warboss since he's plastic and would be easy to work with as opposed to a metal one.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:25 am

yeah, if you're building orks, try to get 1/2 a black reach box (or get the whole thing and sell marines on e-bay)

Comes with a lot of good orks (coptas, boss, boyz, etc...)

Back to top Go down

Post  smackman on Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:46 am

I'll trade you an AoBR Warboss for a few grotz (gretchen) or ammo runts, or a pain boy, or $5.

smackman
Inquisitor Lord

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:51 pm

smackman wrote:I'll trade you an AoBR Warboss for a few grotz (gretchen) or ammo runts, or a pain boy, or $5.
I can do 5 bucks, I have grots, but I'd like to keep them for now X3

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Fri May 21, 2010 11:34 pm

I don't think I asked, but why is it a big No-No for things to go on bases smaller than the model? I mean, if I were to use a Warboss on a 25mm when he needs 40mm... why is that bad?

Back to top Go down

Post  HiveMindRuik on Sat May 22, 2010 1:56 am

AlexAwesome wrote:I don't think I asked, but why is it a big No-No for things to go on bases smaller than the model? I mean, if I were to use a Warboss on a 25mm when he needs 40mm... why is that bad?

it abuses the cover rule now for one thing just like if i could stick a carnifex on a smaller base it could get cover from oodles more stuff

HiveMindRuik
Assassin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  smackman on Sat May 22, 2010 6:26 am

well that being sadly untrue randy as a carnifex is a monstrous creature and wouldn't benefit from area terrain cover what-so-ever, the main reasons would be ultra rare cases where an assault from two different units on opposite sides ended up being short of catching your model because of its smaller base.

I doubt anyone would have a problem with your smaller based warboss (although I'm still willing to sell you one for $5 if you ever make it down to the den) but in situations where they were 1/4" out of assault range or other minor range issues you'd probably have to be pretty lenient to avoid getting face punched.

Of coarse there are easy solutions to this:

Buy my AoBR warboss for $5
Buy a 40mm base and stick a nob on it $1
Buy a legitimate warboss for $18

considering the cheapest solution is the cost of a pop, and a better solution is the cost of a pot of paint, this argument is giving me brain cancer.

smackman
Inquisitor Lord

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Terran on Sat May 22, 2010 1:44 pm

Tom has it right with the assault range rules. The best way to go about it is to follow the below rule of thumb:

Any model (including custom jobs and such) should be based on the same size of base that it is supplied with by GW. So a Warboss comes with a 40mm base, your count-ass-Boss should be on one as well. A model can also be based on a base larger than what it comes with, unless doing so would benefit the model in some way (i.e., Canis Wolfborn and his B2B attack rules).

Hell, I could also give you a AoBR warboss for the low-low price of 4 dollars and 100 cents. ;P

Terran
Assassin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Sat May 22, 2010 5:04 pm

Lol, Smackman, I was at the Den the other day, unfortunately, it was a spur of the moment thing. when I KNOW for sure I'm gonna be at the den one of these fine days I'll let you know, I still really want that Warboss because I wanna stick one of those Maxmini pirate ork heads on it. Very Happy so just hang onto it alittle longer.

Back to top Go down

Post  System Commander on Sun May 23, 2010 12:02 am

Its not a big big deal, unless someones doing intentionally to get something extra. Id never call anyone on it if they using a base one step down or up though.

System Commander
System Commander

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Sun May 23, 2010 11:13 am

Only time I ever called someone was when it was termies deepstriking on the old small bases. The difference in size was the difference between a mishap and coming in and shooting my scoring units to death. Yeah... no. =.=;

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Sun May 23, 2010 11:50 am

I probably wouldn't be able to ever use my space wolves army since they are all old and on old bases Razz

Back to top Go down

Post  Paz on Sun May 23, 2010 12:05 pm

Or... crazy thought... buy a bag of medium bases and switch those dudes. Really, not hard or expensive.

Paz
Lord of Titan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Sun May 23, 2010 3:10 pm

I could do that.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Mon May 24, 2010 9:49 am

Paz wrote:Or... crazy thought... buy a bag of medium bases and switch those dudes. Really, not hard or expensive.

HERESY!

Sorry, that was just the first thought that came to my mind. I really shouldn't post after work. =.=;

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 12:49 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top