Hunters of The Warp
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scout Move

3 posters

Go down

Scout Move Empty Scout Move

Post  smackman Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:30 pm

Just curious, if a unit of Player A's jet bikes makes a 24" turbo boosting scout move, and then Player B takes first turn, do those jet bikes get their 3+ cover save?
smackman
smackman
Inquisitor Lord

Back to top Go down

Scout Move Empty Re: Scout Move

Post  Terran Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:51 am

No. They make their move prior to the games start, so it doesn't really count as a turn.

At least from my understanding.
Terran
Terran
Assassin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:10 am

Correct as far as I understand. I know it came up in a ruling somewhere around the time the new IG codex came out.

Back to top Go down

Post  System Commander Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:18 am

Might have to dig a bit deeper into this one, my initial assumption would be that those bikes to get a cover save.. but may be they ruled it becasue it was to strong?

We'll dig a bit deeper.
System Commander
System Commander
System Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:54 pm

Alright, having re-read the sections, I have this to say:

Bikes - If a bike turbo-boosts in its scout movement phase, it gains the 3+ cover in the following enemies shooting phase regardless of who takes first turn. The wording on turbo-boost is "The following enemy Shooting phase." Personally I think this is a bit of an abuse, but as far as I can tell, thats the raw.

Skimmers - Nope. Flat out isn't turbo-boost, and this is one more example of that. Skimmers specifiy "Last movement phase." And the scout move is not a phase, and thus, will not count.

I'm pretty sure anyways. =)

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:30 pm

Caros wrote:

Bikes - If a bike turbo-boosts in its scout movement phase, it gains the 3+ cover in the following enemies shooting phase regardless of who takes first turn. The wording on turbo-boost is "The following enemy Shooting phase." Personally I think this is a bit of an abuse, but as far as I can tell, thats the raw.

In that case you could Turbo scout move, then act normally on turn 1 (move shoot assault) and still keep your 3+ cover....
The scout move takes place before the game starts; I dont think it should grant a cover save in game

Back to top Go down

Post  smackman Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:50 pm

I think it should grant a cover save for turbo boosting until I move them again at regular speed. That's how I'll be using them anyway, I agree with caros that if I turbo boost, then take first turn, move, shoot, assault and consolidate, I shouldn't get a 3+ in the enemy's turn afterwards, that's a definite abuse.
smackman
smackman
Inquisitor Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:35 pm

Vehicles: As Adam said, The argument everybody was making against it when the new IG codex came out and I was doing that with my Vendettas was that it says during their last movement phase and their movement was 'technically' not during the movement phase,

Bikes: The argument I heard against bikes was that they couldn't turbo boost during scout move, b/c turbo boosters specify "they can move up to 24" In the Movement Phase".

But those are just RAW rationalizations. The real 'reason' people don't like it is b/c it's an easy way to gain a free cover save at the start of every game regardless of terrain.

My suggestion is we just come up with a reasonable ruling for both that we'll use for the league unless/until someone finds an official ruling.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:39 pm

Jemal wrote:

Bikes: The argument I heard against bikes was that they couldn't turbo boost during scout move, b/c turbo boosters specify "they can move up to 24" In the Movement Phase".

This specifically is allowed under the FAQ found on the GW site. Sadly, the same passage does not elaborate on cover saves gained or not from that turbo boost move. I looked it up because I thought it mentioned that the cover save was not given, gut I guess I must have read that somewhere else.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down