Hunters of The Warp
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Foot Guard (arty support)

+2
gluvzer
Veyure
6 posters

Go down

Foot Guard (arty support) Empty Foot Guard (arty support)

Post  Veyure Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:10 pm

OK, i like the idea of foot armies in contrast to all the vehicles flyin around. This list is 1500 points and is almost all infantry.

HQ
Command squad - 210
Straken
medipak
vox
2 bodyguards

Troops
Platoon 1 - 325
Command squad
Fist, 4x pistols, medipak, vox
Squad 1
Power Sword, Flamer, Vox, Autocannon
Commisar w/ power weapon
Squad 2
Power Sword, Flamer, Autocannon
Squad 3
Power Sword, Flamer, Autocannon

Platoon 2 - 355
Command squad
Fist, 4x pistols, medipak, vox
Squad 1
Power Sword, Flamer, Vox, Lascannon
Commisar w/ power weapon
Squad 2
Power Sword, Flamer, Lascannon
Squad 3
Power Sword, Flamer, Lascannon

Veterans - 150
Harker
Sniper rifles x 3
Heavy Bolter

Elite
Guardsman Marbo

Fast Attack
Scout Sentinels x 2 - 80
Heavy Flamer x2

Heavy Support
Basilisk - 155
Camo-netting

Basilisk - 155
Camo-netting

So obviously it does have some weaknesses.
The limited armour gives easy target priority to my enemy anti tank, but im hoping to place the arty in cover and get some 3+ gun proofing.

I know im gonna get flamed for taking a heavy weapon in harkers squad because they don't benefit from the relentless. I'm using him as a tough nut and for the infiltrating. Also his HB will be useful with the sniper rifles. with good placement i can use MTC to get them to a distant objective late game as well.

Sentinels i would use to outflank in hopes of dislodging those hidden heavy weapons in my enemies deployment. prolly take them as 2 separate squads in most cases to better chance i get the board edge i want.

The infantry squads i would likely mob up and use them as a shield for my artillery in case i cant get them in proper cover, otherwise they would form a nice big gunline. The 3 command squads would be used as a counterattack unit waiting in the back and giving those much needed orders to my squads. 4 orders per turn should be enough to order my 2 platoons around especially with voxes floatin around.

So what does everyone think?

Last edited by Veyure on Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:40 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : updated list)
Veyure
Veyure
Inquisitor

Back to top Go down

Foot Guard (arty support) Empty Re: Foot Guard (arty support)

Post  gluvzer Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:29 pm

What are you doing with the commissar lord? I don't think he is worth the points. And if you are planning on having him with your command HQ = very bad idea.

If you are mobbing your squads go with the reg. commissar's they are definately more bang for your buck. And if you're mobbing give power wpns to those who can have em'.
gluvzer
gluvzer
Lord of Titan/Hero of ToonCon/Ayatollah of Rock n' Rolla

Back to top Go down

Post  Veyure Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:35 pm

Ok, i changed that out ryan. i dropped the commi lord and gave 6 power weapons to the seargeants. i have 20 points left though, i'm not sure what to use it for.

List is 1500 points btw, i just realized i never mentioned that.
Veyure
Veyure
Inquisitor

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:37 pm

I love the idea nice to see a new kind of army.

Back to top Go down

Post  gluvzer Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:41 pm

I really think you need a commissar in each of the mobs. They never break because of Stubborness 10 and summary execution. And the power wpn guys, although at str 3, slowly chew up whatever they are in hth with. They can act as a tar pit, or scary unit, depending on what you're fighting.

The list will probably have trouble dealing with vehicle heavy opponents.
gluvzer
gluvzer

Back to top Go down

Post  kerr_matt80 Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:21 pm

On the whole its seems pretty good. I still think the sniper rifles would be better as grenade launchers or something though. I might throw a few melta guns in there if you can for any vehicles that get close to your lines
kerr_matt80
kerr_matt80
Assassin

Back to top Go down

Post  Veyure Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:42 pm

The thing with the commissars is that he'll slowly kill off my power weapon guys. also for a commi with power weapon is 45 points which means i'd have to drop em. I don't really want those units to stay in combat and tarpit. i want them to be shooting and my command units to be eating up anything that comes close once it's been wittled by my gun lines.

And matt, i have autocannons which can take out any light vehicles like transports and any tanks that are stronger will likely be trying to shoot me from across the table (LR LRBT etc) and thus 12" meltaguns won't do me any good and i also think that lascannons are better than meltaguns. And the grenade launchers i disagree with for one that the sniper models are cooler and two the snipers have range and can shoot 2/3 across the table. my idea is to kill as much from far away in hopes of nothing big being left when they get close.

Any disputes with my logic?
Veyure
Veyure
Inquisitor

Back to top Go down

Post  Guardian Angel Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:46 pm

My only comment is that if you are already have 3 snipers with Harker, why not throw in another HB team for the extra 10 points or so.

I use Harker, HB Team and 3 snipers as a vet squad......I use them to camp on my "home" objective....or inflitrate onto an objective.

With this mix, the squad get 9 shots (6 HB and 3 sniper) at BS 4 and 36" range.....this makes it a decent anti-infantry squad....or even a not bad anti-MC squad.

Just my two-cents.....
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel
Grandmaster

Back to top Go down

Post  gluvzer Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:19 pm

Running away = initiative test = they're dead

Sgts. shouldn't die easily.... They check on an unmodified Ld 10 from the Commissar!

GL's have an evective range of 30", and 3 of em' have a chance of doing something to a light vehicle or 3 blast infantry. The multi-blast maximize covered models can be really good.

Do whatever you like Greg! I don't want to be pushy, just offering my opinion. I like the idea of the list, because mech guard is sooo boring to play and face, and has turned into the norm... I gave up on playing mine (it's sitting in my closet in boxes), I do however think it needs to play off the strength of Straken and tar pit to wittle down. And it will have trouble against tanks.
gluvzer
gluvzer

Back to top Go down

Post  Veyure Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:05 pm

Good call ryan K. i never thought of that idea. An ryan G, i forgot to consider being overrun. Well if i take a single commi in each mob that's each with a power weapon that's 90 points plus that heavy bolter for harker's squad makes 100 points. so i had 20 points from before so that means i need to free up 80 points. any suggestions as to what is ok to drop without killing my strengths?

Also, about the tank problem, i dont think i'll have a complete problem. autocannons can take out ar 12 or less pretty decently. and for anything bigger i have the 3 lascannons plus the 2 basilisks which are decent at tank hunting (str 9 with 2d6 pick highest armour pen). my chaos list with only 2 meltas and a vindi is able to deal, im sure this configuration will do ok. the only thing i need to worry about with that lascannons is the bs 3.
Veyure
Veyure
Inquisitor

Back to top Go down

Foot Guard (arty support) Empty Imp foot

Post  Commander James of the Ul Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:31 pm

Ya interesting list. Had a two thousand point army like this in Calgary. Only had 2 lemruss and sentential had lascannons. But this list will really hate a guy who would play two LandRaider Crusaders (its will really suck). Up against Choas.... Stay out of close combat at all costs. But other then that It should do well. Nids will hate this list to many Auto cannons, lascannons and the shots from the basilisk pretty kick ass. Will be very interesting how is list will do if it is ever put one the battle board.

Commander James of the Ul
Inquisitor

Back to top Go down

Post  Veyure Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:45 pm

Alright, dropped the priest from straken's squad and 4 of the voxes since they'll be mobbed up and really only need one.

I added a commi with power weapon to each platoon and a heavy bolter to harker's squad. i think it's looking pretty good. i just need 4 heavy weapons and 2 commis and i have the rest of the models to field this army. i think i'm gonna give it a go for the next league. escalating will give me time to grab those last few models i need.
Veyure
Veyure
Inquisitor

Back to top Go down

Post  kerr_matt80 Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:24 pm

I've found las isnt that reliable for av 13+14 especially on bs3. Is the earthshaker ord barrage or just barrage?
kerr_matt80
kerr_matt80
Assassin

Back to top Go down

Post  Veyure Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:57 pm

Well since i did say that it does str 9 plus 2d6 picking highest, and only ordnance has that rule.... they are ordnance barrage.

And lascannons are more reliable than meltas since you don't gotta wait to turn three to actually be in range to shot with them.
Veyure
Veyure
Inquisitor

Back to top Go down

Post  kerr_matt80 Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:36 am

Ops meant ord not barrage with the last question. Its irrelevant anyway. My point is every missle/autocannon/lascannon on the other side of the table will be gunning for them first turn.

I really think your going to find that las wont be able to reliably take out av14 before it hits your line. If its a kamikaze raider you will have at best 2 turns of shooting before its in your face. Math hammered it out and 3 twin linked las has a 6.25% chance of destroying av14 per turn(with cover). I couldnt find the stats for immobilized and shaken unfortunately. Just sayin its probably gonna be right there anyway so a melta gun in your line might help.

And now my pro grenade launcher argument. With moving they are only 6" shorter range than sniper rifles. The str 6 is as good at T6 and better at lower toughness than sniper rifles. Plus ap4. Rending has almost never came into play with my marine snipers so i see it just as an added bonus. And finally the mobility they give you would be the deciding factor for me.

I'm not going to stop arguing with you until you take one of my suggestions...remember warptime, always remember warp time!
kerr_matt80
kerr_matt80
Assassin

Back to top Go down

Post  Veyure Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:21 am

The thing is with the harker squad, matt is that they will be working independantly without close support. So any weapon that forces me to get closer is a bad idea since they are terrible in CC.

I realize that everything anti tank is gonna be shooting at the basilisks. if you remember my first post (did you even read it in the first place?) i mentioned this problem. it's why i gave them camo cloaks and am going to attempt to hide them from line of sight to anything bad. they can fire indirectly (=I=censor=I= minimum range mind you) but in case i can't hide completely, they'll get a 3+ cover save from all that weaponry. I'm not 100% but i might even be able to obscure them with my overly grown muscular catachan arms too... either hidden or 3+ cover save. they should get a few shells each unless a drop pod melta comes landing on it. but who cares about the non linear when list building? not this guy.
Veyure
Veyure
Inquisitor

Back to top Go down

Post  smackman Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:46 am

I think this lists biggest problem will be chaos, without the commissars this list is a failed abortion on a triple cunted hooker. With them it stands a good chance, however major things that will put a fist in your asshole are land raiders full of close combat troops, snikrot, lesser demons and the almighty power of out flanking genestealers.

I'm drunk tho so love to see me proved wrong, took me 18 trys to find the '.' button. that was 3 .'s ago. almost had to write stop. stop. you get the idea.
smackman
smackman
Inquisitor Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Veyure Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:27 am

Definately gonna have problems with LR. it's the only tank i might be concerned about. About the flankers, im gonne have my comand squads on the ends so they'll be able to counter attack and hopefully do some damage.
Veyure
Veyure
Inquisitor

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down