Hunters of The Warp
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Boarding Plank

5 posters

Go down

Boarding Plank Empty Boarding Plank

Post  Freezingoon Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:24 am

This came up today. Using a boarding plank on a walker is allowed I'm assuming as it is a vehicle, the attacks from the model using the boarding plank will hit vs the weapon skill of a walker, but does the walker strike back (I don't believe so based on the wording of the rule) and if so does it only strike the model using the boarding plank since it clearly indicates the model is away from the squad for the attacks.
Freezingoon
Freezingoon
Crusader

Back to top Go down

Boarding Plank Empty Re: Boarding Plank

Post  System Commander Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:47 pm

I dont have my Ork codex at work here, but if you want to post up the wording of the boarding plank, we could probably work through it.

Ive gone up against the boarding plank before, but the Nob using a claw has always hit a vehicle with it, not a walker .. so Im not sure.
System Commander
System Commander
System Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Freezingoon Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:16 pm

Ok, I wasn't sure if posting direct quote from codex was allowed, I've heard sometimes legal problems can arise.

" Oks often employ hinged planks that allow them to make daring attacks on nearby vehicles. A boarding plank allows a single embarked ork to make its close combat attacks against an enemy vehicle with 2 inches exactly as if the ork were disembarked and charging, provided neither vehicle has moved more than 12 inches."
Freezingoon
Freezingoon
Crusader

Back to top Go down

Post  smackman Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:29 pm

I've been using boarding planks alot lately and the conclusion me and my opponents have come to is that walkers don't get to strike back because I'm maintaining my 2" distance and not putting the walker into base-to-base.
smackman
smackman
Inquisitor Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:07 pm

even if you were in base 2 base with the walker, the way the plank is worked, the walker should not be able tgo strike back at all.

It kind of sounds like the Deff-Rolla. So, I might imagine that a Wagon could ram a Vehicke, then hit it with d6 Strength 10, then another 4(?) power claw strikes

Back to top Go down

Post  System Commander Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:17 pm

Hmm, definitely a tough one. From doing a few searches around, I see it's a widely debated topic.

In my opinion, I think GW didn't think the walker thing through, and just went the assumption that people would be hitting regular vehicles.

That being said, I do believe you cna use a boarding plank on a walker, and the walker cannot hit you back. However, I would suggest the nob has to go against the Walkers WS and agianst his front armour as per normal dreadnaught assault rules.

Like I said, for the record i think it would of been easier if GW said it cant work on walkers, but the bad wording makes a ruling neccesary. I think the above is the fairest way to work it though.
System Commander
System Commander
System Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Paz Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:31 pm

Hmm. in the wording though, it says that: "exactly as if the ork were disembarked and charging". Makes me think that the enemy, if it has attacks, should be able to fight back, like any walker would being normally charged. RAW I can see what you are saying Canadin, but RAI it makes zero sense. Is it a magical boarding plank of invisibility my Soul reaver can't see? Against normal vehicles, this makes no diff, but it may come up even more, with the prevelance of new plastic Kans, and the eff tonnage of dreadnoughts Blood angels can take.
Paz
Paz
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:52 pm

Just to make a complicated discussion even worse, what about Tau Flechette launchers?

^_^

Back to top Go down

Post  smackman Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:58 am

Ok, another way to look at things is that yes, you do get to hit back, but it's against the trukk not the nob, so fletchette dischargers are only str 4 if I remember right? and your soul grinder/dreadnaught/whatever gets a chance to hit the vehicle based on how quick it's moving (6's to hit if it's moved over 6")

That also seems fair, because RAI the idea seems to be that one dude is hanging out the side of the trukk smacking something as they cruise by, kinda like taking a base ball bat to a mailbox (if you don't know what I mean, watch the movie, if you don't know which movie, grow up)
smackman
smackman
Inquisitor Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:14 pm

Caros wrote:Just to make a complicated discussion even worse, what about Tau Flechette launchers?

^_^
Those go off. "Any model attacking in close combat" (from the Tau codex)

Sorry, attempt to screw up topic has failed miserably Razz

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:12 pm

_____
|-----|______Ork
|------------|
OO----OO|O....................So, we have an Ork, haning off a moving tank..... Standing on a Plank.....

It has just occured to me and my girlfriend as we discuss this theoretically, that after the Ork Megaclaws anything from the plank, there is no way that he would not fall off the plank.

If we look at the forces attached to our Ork, lets say he weighs 300 pounds er so with his eavy armor and megaclaw. And therefore has a force of gravity of 3000 Newtons. The force of friction stopping him from sliding is maybe 10 Newtons. With one arm he grips the Trukk, maybe if hes reaaly stonf he can hold a crazy weight, 10000 Newtons of Force, I mean he does lob a powerclaw around.

However, he makes several S 10 attacks. S10 can pen the heaviest armours in 40k. An anti-Tank round today exceeds forces of 1.5 million Newtons on impact. So this Ork, places millions of newtons of force on his body while attacking off this plank. If normally on the ground, his target and the ground could absorb the force (given his super toughness). Since he is on a plank, there is absolutely no way that he is not thrown off the transport, given any sense whatsoever, unless his target was moving at the same speed as the truk, in the same direction, and the ork was secured to his vehicle.

After the Nob smacks any vehicle, either his Arm would be ripped off, or he would be flung off the trukk. Now, given that the this whole vehicle upgrade is completely rediculous, what "makes sense" doesnt really matter. there is no errata on the item, and the plank itself leaves it completely open if the opposing walker would fight back. So I think we should just take a league vote, as the entire thing is rediculous from a sense perspective.

We can rule to protect the Ork, or rule that Walkers can smash back at the trukk or the Ork since he is being "assaulted".... The whole thing makes no sense... not saying that most things in 40k do... but there is generally a "science fiction" explanation, ex: super technology, the warp, the emperor said so, etc.... But this plank really does make no sense I say. I mean its cool, and seems fun n all, but like the deff-rolla, its a crazy death dealing death device that turns a battlewagon into a baneblade wrecking device

Back to top Go down

Post  Freezingoon Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:39 pm

Um, someone tried to make realistic sense of the 40k universe, doesn't that trigger the count down to the apocalypse or something?
Freezingoon
Freezingoon
Crusader

Back to top Go down

Post  Terran Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:40 pm

Too bad physics doesn't much come into play during rules writing in 40k...

RAW, the Walker can strike back. The model attacking is treated as though it is charging into CC. In CC< both parties cna make allowable attacks against valid targets. Therefore, the dreadnought can try and smack him back. Cheap solution, make your Ork a Cybork and give him an Inv. save.

The funny question is (and maybe I missed it), can the wounds be allocated to other models in the unit, as he is still technically in unit coherency?
Terran
Terran
Assassin

Back to top Go down

Post  System Commander Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:43 pm

If someone was purposely abusing the rule, we could take a deeper look at it.. but keep in mind that for the most part, it's mounted on an armor 10 open topped trukk. As well, the only portion of the rule thats come into question is only the attacking the walker part, attacking all vehicles is still perfectly viable.

Now, I think you can take it as an upgrade for the other vehicles as well.. but truthfully.. if your taking boarding planks on the War Wagons (if you even can that is) instead of the Deffrollas, that I think your just kind of wasting points and going for overkill anyway...

I've faced lot sof Orks since their new codex cam eout, and I've never had problems with boarding planks before. If you start stacking the points into those really vulnerable truukks, your just asking for trouble.
System Commander
System Commander
System Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:05 pm

Terran wrote:
The funny question is (and maybe I missed it), can the wounds be allocated to other models in the unit, as he is still technically in unit coherency?
Yes, because he's still part of that unit. He doesn't magically become an IC or a single model unit or whatever. Coherency has nothing to do with it, I could deploy half of one unit on one side of the table and half on the other side, and if either took casualties, I could remove models from either side 'cause they're still one unit.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum