Hunters of The Warp
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fun times in 40k

+9
Terran
Matthew G
smackman
gluvzer
Veyure
System Commander
Paz
Administratum
judchic
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Fun times in 40k Empty Fun times in 40k

Post  judchic Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:22 pm

So I'm starting this thread for those funny things that happened in games. In order to keep peace try to use things that happened to you instead of others.
Typing on the iPhone takes too much time so I'll post my story when I get home.

Last edited by judchic on Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
judchic
judchic
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Fun times in 40k Empty Re: Fun times in 40k

Post  Administratum Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:03 pm

This one time i lashed a 10 man plague marine squad into range of my vindicator, bunched them up, and dropped the plate on them. It hit, and i wiped the squad out to a man. Thats funny, right? Well maybe not for Jubin, but hes not around to see this, so it only gives me a mediocre amount of Joy. That was at a PA tournament.

I have another one from a different PA tournament, again involving my vindicator.. no lash though. It was the final game for best overall in the tournament. It was an objective based game, and i had been getting beat up by the Tau.

Going into the final turn i held one objective, and my opponent two. I had nothing close enough to contest either of his, so i had to rely on my shooting. So i put my almost my whole army into the first squad, and managed to wipe it out. That left 2 more fire warrior squads that were within scoring distance of his last objective. The only thing i had left was my vindicator. My opponent had pretty much said good game at this point, but i knew there was an outside chance, as there always is in a dice based game. So i lined up with the vindicator, and placed the plate so that covered members of both squads. I rolled the scatter, and it was a hit. Rolling wounds and cover saves left enough casualties to cause morale on both squads. This was it, the game maker. My opponent rolled the first leadership.. fail, the squad runs out of scoring range. The second roll.... fail, and they run out of range as well. Final result, i won the game by holding onto one objective.

I know these are exactly the kind of stories you diddnt want in this thread, but i felt like a little self gratification. I dont know why i ever took that vindicator out of my list.

Administratum
Inquisitor Lord

https://huntersofthewarp.forumakers.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Paz Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:09 pm

Oh yeah Cam? How about the time my marines wiped out all your CSM but one noise marine by the 4th turn. On the fifth, I fired everything, including my dreads, at that one marine. All cover saves passed. The marine moves to the center objective, takes it, then the random secondary (a wounded dude who scatters 2d6 a turn) moved to within 3 of your marine. Game ends, Major victory CAM. that's right folks, one noise dude got a major victory on OVER 40 MARINES, and TWO DREADNOUGHTS....

much laughter and groaning all around at that table that night Razz
Paz
Paz
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  judchic Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:11 pm

I'm just trying to avoid throwing out names, some people don't think it's right mentioning a stupid mistake or something that they did acidently. Actually that story is great
judchic
judchic
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  System Commander Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:29 pm

My most memorable moment came in a game against Jeremy several years ago. I was playing Guard and had destroyed several of his Black Templar vehicles so most of his force was stuck foot slogging it across the board. He had a Black Templar Chaplain in terminator armour leading the charge, followed closely behind by a 3 wound marshall, also in terminator armour.

The Chaplain came clambering up a hill and launched an assault against a plain old ten man imperial guard unit. I surprisingly caused 3 wounds, 2 of which he failed.. and the Chaplain was dead.

The next turn, his Marshall was in assault range of the same unit. Having already exceeded any expectations for the squad, I threw them at the Marshall hoping to tie him up for a round or something. I was down to 7 guys and his marshall had taken a wound coming across the field. The marshall killed two guys as they ran in, and in return the 5 remaining guys caused three wounds back. Rolling his armour saves, he failed both and was removed.

I think most of my memorable times came from those early games, where everything was new and surprising. Ive been around the block enough now to not be surprised by the dice anymore. Im also a firm believer of not calling it until the last turn is over.. In righteous 80's bad movie style, No Retreat, No Surrender.
System Commander
System Commander
System Commander

Back to top Go down

Fun times in 40k Empty story time

Post  judchic Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:28 pm

so was playing a 2000 point game and I rushed a 8m gaunt squad into 4 devastators after killing the Sargent.
So combat 1: I was in range of a tyrant and lost 1 gaunt so no leadership test. the tyrant then died from lascannon fire for combat 2. this is where things got funny
combat 2
lost 2 more gaunts. rolled a 3 on leadership.
combat 3
lost another gaunt. rolled a 2 on leadership.
combat 4
lost yet another gaunt. rolled a 2 on leadership.
at this point it was hurting to laugh at this fail combat happening.
finally on combat 5
lost 2 more gaunts. rolled a 3 on leadership.
marines caught them and gave em a whooping.

the sad thing?
gaunts are leadership 5.
judchic
judchic
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Administratum Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:11 pm

Haha, yea i remember that Paz, good times... for me at least. That was not the last time i won a game with only 1 model on the table.

Administratum
Inquisitor Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Veyure Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:13 am

ya you beat me with a single model hiding behind a wall beside an obejective. And beat Ryan the same way too i believe.
Veyure
Veyure
Inquisitor

Back to top Go down

Post  Administratum Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:50 am

lol, i remember beating ryan that way... and yea, now that i think of it, i do seem to recall my game against you. Ahh, i can see why you guys all miss playing me so much =/

Administratum
Inquisitor Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  gluvzer Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:48 am

Embarassed Evil or Very Mad
gluvzer
gluvzer
Lord of Titan/Hero of ToonCon/Ayatollah of Rock n' Rolla

Back to top Go down

Post  smackman Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:24 am

My first game I ever played at the den was against Andrew's guardsmen and I (CSM) won with a single marine, it was an absolute bloodbath. It was a 3 objective game with one objective on each side and one in the middle. At the top of turn 5 my beserkers and khorne lord kicked his troops off his objective only to be annihilated by las pistols and mortars, I had 1 marine squad down to 5 men in the center of the table holding that objective and 7 marines on my own objective at the end of turn 5, at the top of 6 my dreadnaught tied up his scoring unit in close combat and my other two squads hunkered down for the win, however at the bottom of turn 6 his mortars finally made me fail a LD check and forced my marines to fall back off my objective and off the table, then proceeded to kill all but 1 of my marines on the center objective.

Very narrow win, very fun game.
smackman
smackman
Inquisitor Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Administratum Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:31 am

Yea, the close ones are always the most fun.

Administratum
Inquisitor Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Matthew G Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:27 pm

My most memorable experience in 40k happened back in the good old days of 3rd edition. I was playing my blood angels and had a chaplain in with a square of death company. I drove across the table in their rhino and charged a squad of chaos space marines. My death company had no power weapons but my chaplia. Did. I barely scratched the squad and the chaos with their power fist killed a bunch of marines. On his following turn he charged 2 more chaos marine squads into my deathcompany.
Long story short, my lone chaplain ended up killing and routing all 3 chaos squads. He survived power fists, regluar attacks for 4 turns with out taking A single wound. I couldn't believe it, I was laughing so hard.

Sorry if my spelling and grammer is all messed up, I'm typing this from my iPhone.
Matthew G
Matthew G
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:53 pm

Two things happened during my last apocalypse game that stand out.

Firstly was Vindicare Assassin + Marbo blowing up a baneblade. All hail the lone rangers.
Secondly was my master of ordnance launching his artillery strike across the board.. and scattering FIFTEEN INCHES to blow up my allies space marine command squad. heh.. sorry buddy.

Back to top Go down

Post  Matthew G Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:02 pm

Oh... Another gooder that just happened

So... My opponent thought he would use one of his wave serpents as a missile and kicked in turbo-boosters and hurdled itself 19" towards my deevilfish. BAM!
Str 9 hit to both vehicles (I didn't try to dodge). He rolled a 2 on his penetration... I rolled a (5 i think)? Either way, penetrated... And wrecked the serpent. I have never seen that happen before and thought it was pretty amusing Smile
Matthew G
Matthew G
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Terran Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:06 pm

Ouch......my pride....

Smile
Terran
Terran
Assassin

Back to top Go down

Post  Matthew G Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:55 pm

you weren't supposed to read that!!!

Shocked Rolling Eyes Shocked
Matthew G
Matthew G
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Administratum Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:51 pm

Haha, i like Jemal's the best. Reminds me of all those times when i used to run a chaos dreadnought with a twin linked lascannon. I cant even recount the number of times it went berzerk and blew up my own rhino or pred.

Administratum
Inquisitor Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:16 pm

I played Glover once. My marine army vs. his guard army. He had soem ratling snipers in a building and I jumped my chaplain in their to give them a beatdown. Ryan said "Why do you want to do that?". And I said "'Cause the Emperror hates fuckin' midgets." But then as I jumped my Chaplain in there to beat them down with his =I=censor=I=-stick the Emperor remembered how awesome Time Bandits was and made my chaplain roll a one and bust his crazy neck as he jumped into the difficult terrain. When the Chaplain went to heaven he was kicked in the nuts by Billy Barty and then spit on by Kenny Baker.

I love midgets personally. Except Willow. He sucks a ton that guy. How could such a small person be such an over actor. He makes Chris Penn look like friggin' Sean Penn. That analogy was rough.

Actually my favorite time playing 40k was when I played some kid in a doubles tourny and my 10 man squad of marines charged a wraithlord. I was playing some 12 year old kid who laughed at me an I think called me a dumbass because I had no way of hurting the wraithlord. And the rules of the game were awesome enough to reflect that between the combined 2600 years of combat experience in that 10 man squad not one of them had learned how to do anything other than stand in a line, single file, and get double pwer fisted when facing an alien threat. That was fun.

Also the same tourny when I was using my Dreadnought firing a twin linked lascannon, and I rolled two dice to hit and if one hit I called it a hit. One opponent got mad and said I was doing it wrong, and that I had to roll those dice seperately. 'Cause I was cheating. That guy sorta reminded me of Willow actually.

Then there was the time that I thought my entire army was gonna die, but then Sloth came and saved me and the rest of the gang by beating up HIS OWN FAMILY. He knew then that no matter who you are, some times you gotta bash your ugly ma in the face. 'Cause goonies are forever.

I'm actually not feeling that good, so I'll talk to you later.

Love,

Scott
ScottRadom
ScottRadom
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  HiveMindRuik Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:31 pm

ok so back in the day when i used a shooty fex i played a guard guy in a PA match. He turns a chimera at my assult fex and attempts a tank shock(my fex's just happened to be lined up perfectly as to both get hit). So he tank shocks, assult fex passes test, tries to death or glory, gets flattened. Tank shock hits my shooty fex, passes test, death or glory, destroys chimera.

not belly laugh funny but hey a strength 10 carinfex should do better Razz
HiveMindRuik
HiveMindRuik
Assassin

Back to top Go down

Post  System Commander Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:35 pm

Monstrous creatures should never Death or Glory.. NEVER! Just get out of the way and assault it next turn.. not worth the risk. Greg had to eat that a few months back .. didn't you?
System Commander
System Commander
System Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Lord_Commander_Stash Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:55 pm

Back in third edition when ordinance templates were full strength on vehicles no mater how they touched it, and terminators didnt have the free 5+ invulnerable save.....

...I got to fight Gluver in the final round of a tournament, winner of the match taking top place. I was playing guard and he was playing salamanders. And hey! We even got to fight on a completely open table too!
I took the first turn, and with 9 lascannons carried by my infantry, I got 14 hits in a row (wrapping into the second turn). All his vehicles were dead instantly, most of the surviving units gone from the ordinance that followed.....all but one...

The scenario was to have as many number of non vehicle models on the hill in the centre to win the game. Easily enough, I had a platoon advance uncontested by Ryan's anihilated army, with a tooled up HtH command squad along side to deal with the last unit.

The last unit happened to be a unit of terminators, which actually was the best matchup I could have in this point of the game (seriously). They strike at the same time as the 3 characters with powerfists that waited for them. Having the upper hand, there was no way for the terminators to get the first assault either.

So there goes a command squad charging in with 5 ws5 attacks from the Colonel, 4 ws3 from the preacher (out of the back of the old 3rd ed rule book) and another 5 from a commissar. Out of all those attacks I only got 6 hits, which would do the job, but I rolled 5 ones!!!! The one that did wound bounced of the only storm shield in the unit. Any 2s would have killed the other terminators with no save. The terminators proceeded to miraculously beat down on the unit, but my other saving grace was that it was unlikely he would wipe out the squad and I had a reasonable chance to take a leadership test to stay in combat (back then I was only at -1 for being below half strength). naturally I failed that roll. On Ryan's turn that intact unit of terminators with 2 heavy flamers could hit all 3 squads on the hill (legally, and even if he were the girliest of good sports, he would have had no choice but to hit all 3 due to their positioning anyway). Somehow the 1 or two guardsmen left in each squad all ran away, giving Ryan the win....
Lord_Commander_Stash
Lord_Commander_Stash
Grandmaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Veyure Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:01 am

Yes Robyn, at the last PA tournie a guy tank shocked my daemon prince and i was so excited during the game i forgot if i death or gloried that i hit front armour not rear. So the 14 point front armour of the demolisher happened to be too much for my delicate fingered prince and he was squished with 4 wounds remaining. That was a =I=censor=I= first turn.
Veyure
Veyure
Inquisitor

Back to top Go down

Post  System Commander Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:24 am

Hey, sometimes people have to learn it the hard way. I know I've tank shocked a Wraithlord and a Carnifex before and killed them both..
System Commander
System Commander
System Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  gluvzer Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:28 am

Stash - You forgot in that game when you put your demolishers template on my termies in you shooting phase it scattered back onto you demolisher and part of your command squad killing some and blowing up the demo. Laughing

Scott - How can you be sad? Sloth can come and live with you now, and share pizza and Baby Ruth's
gluvzer
gluvzer

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next