Hunters of The Warp
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gav Thorpe's CSM reaction

+4
System Commander
ScottRadom
Terran
Veyure
8 posters

Go down

Gav Thorpe's CSM reaction Empty Gav Thorpe's CSM reaction

Post  Veyure Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:58 pm

Link to Gav thorpes reaction to all the criticism he getting for his CSM codex.
Veyure
Veyure
Inquisitor

Back to top Go down

Gav Thorpe's CSM reaction Empty Re: Gav Thorpe's CSM reaction

Post  Terran Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:05 pm

I found this through a link on a different web-site. After reading a lot of the reactionary posts, I must admit I feel bad for the guy. Personally, I have never been one to prescribe to various extremist views of revisions being 'game breaking'. Rules change with time. If they don't, the game in question stagnates and dies. I think some of the people calling for his proverbial blood (or maybe even literal blood, in the case of the Khornate fanatics) may need to take a step back and chill just a bit. Personally, I don't mind the look of the CSM codex. I don't find anything in it particularly weak, and I can definitely see numerous options for customization in the core list. Anything else is fluff and color schemes.

However, maybe my opinion would change if I had been doing 40k for ages and ages. Different perspective would likely yield a different reaction.
Terran
Terran
Assassin

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:17 pm

This was my fav response....

I’ll keep my commentary simple:

Playtest your Codex: Playtesting means you try to BREAK your design — you find ways the rules can be misused or misunderstood. The Design Studio suffers from a blatant, sometimes crippling case of groupthink. Get some outside playtesters. Vicious nasty ones, munchkins and minmaxers of the worst sort. Sign them up with the most draconian confidentiality agreements you can. They will let you know what’s wrong with the codex from how they abuse the rules.

Get an Editor: They exist for a reason. Repeat after me: a spellchecker is not an editor. Say that a thousand times — it will be your punishment for Codex: Blood Angels.

...I think Gav Thorpe has always been poor at his job. He was in charge of all things Fantasy for a while and admitted that he not only didn't play Fantasy, but that he didn't like the game as much now as he used to. Nice. His Dwarf army book wasn't that bad for the times though.

Anyway, the dude sucks. Or at least he did suck in his capacity for contirbuting to the GW legacy in making products that were fun enough to incite the imagination and balanced enough to keep the screaming from the masses to a dull minimum.

My fav Gav Thorpe moment was when Eric Miller from town here had a kind of BS (my opinion anyway) item combo for Fantasy. He fired of a queery that got answered by non other then the Thorpinator himself and the answer was nothing sort of bizarre. When Eric explained what he intended to do with the combo, even sort fo hinting that the combo was super broken, Gav's response was "WHOAH! Good one! Yeah, totally go and do that, man!"
ScottRadom
ScottRadom
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:24 pm

Terran wrote:However, maybe my opinion would change if I had been doing 40k for ages and ages. Different perspective would likely yield a different reaction.

Even if you haven't been playing for ages, Gav had been part of the Studio for a long, long time. He knew the score. Even in his post he mentions that he knows that 90% of the players out there are more of the tourny mindset ( I think that's what he said) but yet he admits that he wanted to gear things towards less of the tourny mindset. So the other 10% was his target audience.

I know less than nothing about the merits of any 40k specific stuff. I don't even know why I post about this stuff. But I do know that Gav produce crap after crap on the fantasy end of things. If he really, really wanted to break the hard and fast mindset of GW gamers then why do it on specific army books? Why bring your special brand of parameters to a portion of your demographic and let the other army books stay focused on the other 90% more competitive players?

When he ran all things fantasy I didn't see any of this sort of kinder and softer philosophy applied to the gaming univers in general. I didn't see anything other than battle reports in WD consisting of a stupid IG dude shooting spore mines by himself for about a year actually. I am not a fan of his. Though I hate Paul Sawyer more.
ScottRadom
ScottRadom
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  System Commander Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:43 am

Your perspectives are always great Scott, even if its 40k stuff, you should always speak up..

I dont have as much experience as alot of people in the city and even the league. I played under the last codex for about 2 years before the new one came out, and I loved it. I think the biggest complaint was the combinations, particularly war gear, and poor wording that littered the entire book, not the rules themselves. In the one book, there were 9 different army lists: Word Bearer, Night Lords, Iron Warriors, Death Guard, Worldeaters, Thousands Sons, Emperor's Children, Black Legion (Basic list) and the Alpha Legion. Talk about variety !

Each list was unique and had their own special rules. Word Bearers got extra Daemons and a different HQ (evil Chaplain), Iron Warriors could take an extra Heavy and could take Vindicators (chaos didn't have them before) and Basilisks plus had no 0-1 limit on Oblits. I could go on, but you get the idea.. there were so many options available that your head would spin.

New codex comes out and bamm, everything is slammed together. I still believe that in the overall scheme of things, its a great list.. but like alot of peoples complaints it lost alot of its flavour and your almost forced into taking certain becasue they are way to good over the other options.. (Yes Daemon Prince, I'm looking at you).

In the end, I think the anger ramps up a bit when the chaos players (there are alot of them) see how the new books are coming out and are jealous. They dream of what the chaos codex could of been like if it was set-up like the Space marines, and what it was in past editions.. and they get mad. Look at all the response this has brought up recently.. Gav hasn't worked for the company for over two years and the dude is still taking hate mail..

Now, do I think he dropped he ball.. big time.. but as some point people will probably have to leave him alone to write crappy novels. I'm guessing that a new Chaos book is probably on the schedule already for the future.

Last edited by System Commander on Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:56 am; edited 1 time in total
System Commander
System Commander
System Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Veyure Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:50 am

Scott stop talking about fantasy on the 40k site. Evil or Very Mad

I like the CSM book. it's not just because i play it either. There are obviously a few things that are a little powerful for their points cost, but overal i like the feel. I am of the themed/fluffy style of army builder so the idea that the codex is open to people to govern themselves in honesty fits me more than someone like Robyn, Cam, etc. Cool who will take the 2 princes and great daemon.

An all shooty Tsons list is still pretty competitive even without a prince or any daemons. (used one last night to decent effect)

But those people who can't be honest and have to have a uber cheese list get punished in tournies by having a crap comp score and no one enjoys playing them. so games playing a more themed/fluffy army will get you a better comp score, and can still win you the games.
Veyure
Veyure
Inquisitor

Back to top Go down

Post  smackman Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:22 am

Veyure wrote:
An all shooty Tsons list is still pretty competitive even without a prince or any daemons. (used one last night to decent effect)

I'm not sure if a cheesy tie is 'decent effect' lol.

Personally I like the codex, I think the black legion mixing and matching zerkers and t'sons. However I do miss the demons that the chaos codex used to have and I originally got chaos to play a Word Bearers army, however the new codex just came out when I got into 40k and the Word bearers are gone.

Overall I'd say leave the guy alone, the codex is fine, the true crime is the guy that wrote the demons codex, shoot that guy. (not sure who that was) I mean c'mon, an entire codex of demons, when there's already a DEMONhunters codex and almost all the special advantages against demons that demonhunters get don't apply to the demon codex, it's like they just asked some guy who never played 40k just picked up a pen and a roll of toilet paper and got busy.
smackman
smackman
Inquisitor Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Paz Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:23 am

I agree with Greg (whaaaat? i no hey?!). I do like the new dex, purely from a modelling perspective, than a gaming perspective. If I'm playing slaanesh, I can model slaanesh marines with huge shields as plague marines, and slaanesh marines in a spartan 300 gettup as berserkers, that screams cool to me, and the rule of cool does rule this game.

To Tom= I partly agree about the Daemon dex, but more for the fluff. All the fluff is just daemons winning big time, and how everybody else is doomed, its just boring to read. Rules wise, the daemons are a pretty balanced army, I lose as much as I win with it. Daemons have a lot of the csm powers, but are a lot less powerful, to balance the lack of a psychic test.
Paz
Paz
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  System Commander Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:55 am

In defense to myself, the only time I ever take two daemon princes is either for a tournie (like in PA, where I received almost max scores for Comp and Sportsmanship), or for the playoffs like I did last night. I only have 1 Daemon prince model, and 1 Bloodthirster which Ill sub in as a Daemon prince from time to time.. so I definitely have never taken 2 Princes and a Greater daemon. You lie Greg.. LIE! Haven't you taken a Prince and Greater Daemon before?

Yeah, the codex is still good.. and I have fun with it.. but I have to say I really, really miss the old Worldeaters army. Sure, there was alot of stuff I couldnt take, I lost as many games as I won (probably more), but I really enjoyed the unpredictability with the blood rage rolls, and I liked how any HQ you created was probably going to be different from anyone elses at the tournie. You could never take any heavy weapons, but all your champs had feel no pain and bloodthirsters were nightmarish.

I just really miss seeing the different chaos armies in action. I was all set to make an Alpha Legion and ordered a ton of necromunda mini's for cultists, and then they were gone. I really believe at some point the cult lists will be back, its just a matter of waiting it out.

Again, just to reiterate.. I do think the chaos book is great rules wise, but I personally just miss the old cult list and I really wish it had more flavour to it.. in terms of uniques for rules for the different armies. You really cant say that the new chaos book has more flavour/options than the old one.. its not even close.. Soon though.. !

In the meantime, I have no problem whipping out Straken to lay some beat downs.. next league will be a Guard league for me..

Last edited by System Commander on Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:25 pm; edited 2 times in total
System Commander
System Commander
System Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Administratum Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:51 pm

Id like to reply to the accusation of me as more or less a poor sport and power games. I played 40k for at least 3 years before the new wave of gamers, with an all slaanesh cult army. This was when the cult armies sucked balls, and i had a less than stellar win record, as did robyn with his khorne cult list. The problem is that i need to improve, and challenge myself to attain higher goals. At first this was expressed in my modeling and painting. Although most of my work has been surpassed, there was a time when i was winning best painted at tournaments all over western Canada. At that time i felt that i had accomplished my modeling and painting goals, so i turned my attention to becoming a better player, in the hopes that i could go after the best overall, and best general awards. If you are going to win tournaments you have to take effective armies period. Fluff might win you best sportsman, but in my experience that catagory is always heavily biased in the favor of the home town crowd, and is almost unwinnable if you go to an out of town tournie. Best overall and best general require power armies. (and how do you develop these tournament armies? Why to use them at home) The problem with the chaos codex is the lack of effective units. There are very few combinations that are powerful enough to be competitive. Right around when you joined the league Greg, there were some very powerful non chaos armies being played. At that time i had never won a saskatoon league championship, despite my successs in out of town tournies. When the new chaos codex came out, i saw my opportunity to use the models i DID have, from my army (that used to suck), to make a run at the title. I played with 2 lashes only a few times, and never 2 daemon princes with lash, because i only had one slaanesh daemon prince. When i won the league, it was with one prince with the lash, and one nurgle prince. One oblit only, and the rest a mix of slaanesh, khorne and undivided. Since my league win i have not really played. Why? I cannot afford to go to tournament, so i lack the motivation. Without goals im not driven. I dont get any pleasure out of taking cheezy lists that crush my opponent, and the few times that i did take 2 lashes i spent most of the game appologizing for how stupid it was. Games are only fun, if both people are enjoying themselves, and the closer the game the more exciting it is. If i ever start playing again you can count on me having a powerful army from one of the codexes that give you enough options that you are not forced into taking cheezy =I=censor=I= that pisses your opponent off. I have seen a number of people in the new league playing some pretty stupid and abusive list, so i get a little annoyted that i am still getting heat over this 2 years later... especially when im not even playing any more. /end rant

Administratum
Inquisitor Lord

https://huntersofthewarp.forumakers.com

Back to top Go down

Post  System Commander Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:39 pm

Your called out on both counts now Greg.. quit raising trouble!

Man, we just get Cam back on the boards after all this time and your picking on him.. what gives? What did you mean by not honest?

I also have to say this. If you already have a full Slaneesh army.. and the new book comes out and Slaneesh gets a strong psychic power.. your telling me your not supposed to try it out? If you cant try out the crazy stuff for yourself now and then, whats the point in being in a friendly league. To add to that.. when it comes to playoffs.. Ive said this before.. thats the time to bust out all the tricks.

If you were joking around, fair enough, I can take some ribbing for taking two princes.... but as it stands right now, you've called out me and Cam specifically as not being honest.. whatever that means.. not cool man.

.. and all this after I gave you gave you those rhino doors.. say it isn't so!

System Commander
System Commander
System Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:19 pm

You should lock it down before Cam kills my fuckin' eyeballs with his lack of paragraphing! MEIN EYES!

I don't care about 40k, but the larger GW univers past our doors in Saskatoon is not as friendly a place. Who cares? It's those other places who's cries go out and make GW change/alter things to their fancy. Soft armies and non cheesy armies might be fine around town, but if you travel to other centers your day may be spoilt by playing groups of people who use the rules as written, and don't take any of the soft =I=censor=I= from their books.

You guys remember Red Deer right?

So bad writing for our games means that the games get changed. One bad codex begets another. Then someone tries to put the brakes on and bring out a more level codex and that gets even worse.

Fantasy is really bad for that right now. My definition of a good army book is one where ALL the stuff in the book, while I might not like it, has a value on the table in at least some situations. In fantasy a ton of the books have stuff in them (Dwarf Scouts, Empire Stupid rocket launcher thing, Orc Boar Boyz) that have zero value on the table except in an extremely rare and retarded situation you have to cook up from scratch using nothign but insanity and fecal matter as ingredients.

I hate what Gav Thorpe did for the Fantasy side of things during his reign. His explanation of wanting all the players to abandon their tourny mindset and play for fun is bullshit. WH 7th ed. has 4 scenario's in the book ( I Think) and I think three of them are unplayable. He also wrote in the one playable scenario a rule, not a guideline as he would suggest, that NO terrain be placed in the 24" strip between deployment zones. So... no terrain. Fun. Good one, idiot.

The CSM 'dex might be bad, it might be good, but with his hand in it's involvement I gaurantee without reading it's got....

-At least 1/4 of the units are stuff you'd never, ever take willingly. Either crazy over pointed or some unusable special rule

-A blatant revision of stuff that was unplayable in past editions, to make them super good now. The ole' "Flippety-Floppety"

-The other way around. Stuff that might have been underpointed previously has been super =I=censor=I= kicked in the other direction, or nerfed so only it's unplayable. The ole "Floppety-Flippety".

I know this happens in any revision, no matter who writes it, but I find Gav-isized books to me the most dramatic in that regard.

He sucks a ton.
ScottRadom
ScottRadom
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  System Commander Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:38 pm

-At least 1/4 of the units are stuff you'd never, ever take willingly. Either crazy over pointed or some unusable special rule

Yeah, there are a few of these for sure.. I dont like Possessed anymore and I find the Chaos Lord a challenge to use. I want to use him.. and try.. but he still gets himself killed in pretty much every game without doing jack.. even when I try to hide him or be careful. It just might be me playing him like a dork.. but I cant seem to keep him living. That and hes more expensive than a Daemon Prince.. who is very hard to kill. Dreads still bug me.. the chance they can fire on your own stuff and kill it.. is tough to take. You can be careful with them, hide them off to the side.. etc... but in the end its still a chance Id prefer not to take if on the last turn I have to rush forward just in time to get my Landraider blasticized by an angry Dread..

Definitely still a strong book on all counts.. I just wish there would of been more to work with. Again, we were jsut spoiled with the last one. It boils down to me missing the train on playing an Alpha Legion and potentially a Wordbearer's army.. I did see an article on a guy who still uses Alpha legion, sort of. He uses cultists as lesser daemons.. so it still looks the part on the field.. but in the end your still missing a bit of flavour with the lack of Vet skills all around.
System Commander
System Commander
System Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Veyure Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:03 am

Well i never said "dishonest" I said i had more restraint on taking the power armies than you. and the Cool was thrown in to indicate that i was jibin you both and not trying to hurt your feelings.
To be honest i haven't played against someone who took 2 lash princes before. I played cam's army of the lash prince and nurgle prince and it was actually fun, although he hid a single guy to hold an objective so i lost.

I never used a prince and a great daemon i only have one large model.

Well i guess i should not mention people in my posts anymore as i seem to be hurting some soft feelings about things. Sorry Cam for picking on you as I know people have ridden you back about it lots, and Robyn, I guess I'm sorry too, especially because i got some cool FW stuff from you. Gotta keep Santa happy or i'm off his list. I love you
Veyure
Veyure
Inquisitor

Back to top Go down

Post  System Commander Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:10 am

Sounds good.. I assumed you had to have been joking, your to nice of guy. I dont know what the sunglasses emoticon means.. now the happy face one.. I know that one.

Your just setting yourself up for another Demo charge throwdown.. dont say I didnt want you. Now, I wont have Col. Shaeffer on my side this time, but Ive got a whole bunch of penal troopers ready to take his place and lay the beat down on some Thousand sons.
System Commander
System Commander
System Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Veyure Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:14 am

Cool <-- this the cool/sly guy throwin down quips to make you think twice about messin with him.

Oh, and those demo charges were crazy. I think i actually let you win that one because it was your last game with the old dex Suspect
Veyure
Veyure
Inquisitor

Back to top Go down

Post  Lord_Commander_Stash Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:17 am

His response wasn't quite what I expected. I have to say I agree which what he said, but with the caviat that has conveniently already been posted by Scott. One thing to add though: Gav failed to mention how he abused his powers to make rules to benefit only the armies he played. This may sound like rubbish conspiracy talk, but some of the older 40k gamers can back me up on this:
flip flopping weapon destroyed and immobilized on the vehicle damage table in the last edition to benefit his falcons.

Allowing mind war to make a chaos marine squad loose favour with their god, and making the craft world eldar codex which conveniently gave you a list where you didnt need to take useless troops, and if you couldnt get it through your head to not take them, they were limited to a maximum of 3 selections. Oh and all the good stuff you could now take 6 selections of! yay!!!....
Lord_Commander_Stash
Lord_Commander_Stash
Grandmaster

Back to top Go down

Post  System Commander Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:37 am

Thanks man.. yeah, the last kick at the bucket for Col. Schaeffer. You know, I actually only used three times ever. Once a long, long time ago.. he died fast. I played Cam in the playoffs once with the same list I played against you.. I had a couple key shots I needed to make that fell short, and did haven enough tricks to keep the pony show prancing, and he came out on top through pure Nurgle resilience.

I'll have demo charges in the new guard list, but only a few.. primarily through some vets and one special weapons squad.

Im trying to decide though if I should run Daemonhunters with some guard allies. I could take an inqusitor and nice grey knights, but then fill it out with a big platoon. The wqya plations work now, I could get some lascannons, special weapons, and some expendable troops. Hmmm.. I might just do that.

Ill have to watch I use though.. that Daemonhunters dex is filled with some crpapy rules right now..
System Commander
System Commander
System Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Administratum Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:51 pm

I want to make an apology to Greg, and probably everyone else who read my post in this topic. I kind of flew off the handle a little bit. I just got a little irritated that i developed such a bad rep so quickly among people who really diddnt know me that well. I guess there was no real point of reference, or knowledge of all the time effort and good things i did for the hobby up until my cheeze run.

Its very possible that i am being over sensitive to this, so again im sorry i kind of flew off the handle, and especially that i singled you out Greg, for only one small comment.

Cheers,
Cam

Administratum
Inquisitor Lord

https://huntersofthewarp.forumakers.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Paz Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:26 pm

Its okay Cam, Greg really does have that effect on people, but chat with him for 5 minutes, and you realize he's a big ol' teddy bear.

...A super effin' irritating teddy bear when he feels like it, but a teddy bear non-the-less.
Paz
Paz
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Veyure Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:17 am

I like to turn my every-day life into a facinating, entertaining movie at the expense of everyone else. (Galaxy cinemas charges too much)

It's ok Cam. I take no offense from your defense. (Logically that should never happen unless you defense was to create an offense....) scratch
Veyure
Veyure
Inquisitor

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum